Question about structure change to already published book

I have an already published book that a few people are reading (as far as I can tell). It is marked complete. I would like to merge one or two adjacent short chapters to make a longer one. I’d do that by copying the content of one part, leaving it empty, adding the content to the other, then moving the empty part to the back (still published), because that way, reads, votes, comments aren’t affected.

My question: has anyone experienced either that a reorg like that works without causing confusion for in-flight readers, or that it does sometimes causes confusion for them? E.g. they start to see chapters out of order or something.

In particular, in-flight readers who have added a book to their private library generally don’t see changes unless they re-start their reading app - others have mentioned that sync doesn’t always work - so I wonder what happens to their reading experience. I did test this on a small book experimentally, and as far as I can tell, it works, but WP has sooo many glitches …

Note: my question is not “how do you do this?” or “should this work?” I know how to do it and I’ve read the manual and I know it should work. My question is really meant to discover if anyone has tried this and it made a big mess and … just don’t do it :slight_smile:

Thank you!