Question About Update Schedules -- Help?

Not sure where to post this so please let me know if this is the wrong place!

I’m trying to come up with a good updating schedule, but I’m totally lost on where to start honestly.
How many hours a day/week do you spend on a chapter? Whats a typical update schedule for chapters? Do you post multiple at once or work on multiple chapters at once? Also do you separate time to research for your writing? Do you upload multiple times a week, every other week, or once a month?

These are just a few questions I have but if I could get more details, that would help me out a lot as I’m struggling with the proper scheduling.

Thank you so much <3

How much story have you written so far? How long does it take you to write a chapter? I say this because people write at different paces. One of my books I could write 3 chapters a day if I had the time and another might take me a week. Look at how long it takes you to write.

I also suggest a backlog of things you have written but not posted yet so you feel a little less pressure on the upload front. In general, updating between two times a week or every other week seems to be common.

2 Likes

I have 4 chapters right now, probably 3-4 days for a chapter if I’m not dealing with the writers block x.x

I can do at least a chapter a day when I’m not busy with life. I built up a back log for NaNo, which made me able to do twice a week. Monday and Friday. A lot of people do 2-3 times a week, but if you have a hard time preparing content, I’d say, once a week would be solid. Friday’s and Saturday’s are generally a go to. And for a serial author, backlogs are a huge plus. Prewrite as much as you can. That way if something happens, you can still be consistent. Even if you update bi weekly, consistency is key.

Ok so this is probably a dumb question lol but can you explain what NaNo and backlogs are?

1 Like

Just write it all and then post it weekly/biweekly etc. That way you have something to give every week.

2 Likes

NaNo is short for the National Novel Writing Month. Basically you write 50k in November. I did it last year for my first time and made the full amount :smile:

It really helped build up my wordcount.

A back log is the amount you have written and edited but not posted. It’s a chapter that all you have to do is hit publish when update day comes.

2 Likes

Oh ok! Thanks so much! Still new to all the lingo here haha

1 Like

Anytime :grin:

It does take some getting used to.

1 Like

it really does! I should def work on the back logging though xD

1 Like

I’m not sure if my information is updated, but the days that the algorithm favored were wednesday and friday while the least favored days were monday and saturday

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

yeah no problem ! i think it has something to do with the amount of traffic this site gets or something :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I gotcha! That makes sense

1 Like

That really depends on how much time you can dedicate. I dedicate about 2 hours to each chapter.

There’s no typical update schedule. People generally stick to once or twice a week but days will vary - I’ve heard that most people upload on weekends, but I’m not sure that’s entirely true. I update six different days per week (every day except friday).

I post one chapter per update.

No, I incorporate research time into my writing time.

I have three novels - I upload them twice weekly or thrice weekly at the moment.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m more of write the whole story first than update whenever I have content. Whatever fits your style, there will always be writer’s block, but if you have your story complete or mostly complete, all you need to do is edit before you post. As for update frequency, that depends on what you have. Once a week I’d say is standard if you have a good buffer of content that’s ready (which includes some light editing). If you have more and can produce content fairly quickly, you can do twice a week. If you’re putting more care into your work or going at a snail’s pace with writing, then twice a month would be safe. If you have a complete story that’s up to you to decide your frequency.

As for when, start out with your own times (for example, Fridays at noon) until you have a demographics map in your statistics. From there you can decide when it’s best to update based on where your readers are located, or just update whenever you have something. Best times in my opinion are Tuesdays (recovered from the weekend) and Fridays (weekend begins), but if Wednesdays are your thing then do Wednesdays. If you’re busy during the weekday then upload on a Saturday or Sunday (or whatever is considered weekend for you).