Question For Readers

Hey guys! So I was wondering when you follow an author, do you mind if they pm you thanks? I do this but I feel like my new follower could take this as fishing for compliments. I normally say oh thanks for following me, super appreciated! But I don’t know how they take that, so I was wondering what would you’re reaction be if a small author said thanks for following?

I prefer if they say thanks after I’ve commented something. Like, “Great book!” “Hey, thanks!” Because I’ve already chosen to start a conversation with them discussing their book.

I’m neutral about thank you messages, with a positive lean. It’s nice that the author is excited and giving some appreciation, and it’s usually small authors so I know it feels awesome when someone checks out your story.

The only thing I don’t like is people posting thank you’s on my Announcement board, since that’s where I post my updates for readers and I don’t personally like it getting cluttered. But even if they do, that doesn’t actually upset me or anything.

I sent everyone thank you’s for follows and reading lists when I first started writing on Wattpad (I still would, too, if I could keep up with my notifications). I never had anyone get openly upset at me for doing it and a lot of those people replied and gave extra feedback on the book (“I loved it” or “I thought this could use more detail”).

So I think it’s totally fine to do, especially while starting out! Hope this helps :heart:

1 Like

Ok thank you this does help! Yeah, I wouldn’t do it on their messanger board, because their readers don’t need to worry about that.

1 Like

TBH, I think it’s sweet and thoughtful, but I don’t go out of my way to thank those who follow me. I’m definitely grateful for the follow, but I assume they don’t do it for acknowledgement.

It’s just a personal preference

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t thanked every follower but I try making it known in my posts that I appreciate them.

1 Like

I mean I think its a bit weird when they thank me but most post on my page thanks for following. I dont like private messages from strangers.

1 Like

That’s understandable!

1 Like

I thank everyone I can to be honest. If I am online when they follow I send them a “welcome gorchess” post haha

1 Like

love that haha

1 Like

As a reader, I wouldn’t really mind.
As a writer, I would openly thank them only after they vote and put some comment on my works, on the comment section.

1 Like

I think it would be really strange of them to get upset at you thanking them. I do the same thing too. It’s an easy way to make new friends if someone randomly follows you

1 Like

I usually say thanks for following, or if they add my book to their reading list, that kind of thing. I always make sure to reply to comments on my book. Not all of them, but if I get general praise or at least to acknowledge if they have an improvement etc.

I dont know why anyone would get upset with this (on the receiving end of thanks). Surely it’s a good thing if someone is being polite?

1 Like

That makes sense :upside_down_face:

It would be strange, but some people are just strange XD