Question on fashion,

Was there a specific point in time when guys started replacing their buckle shoes with shoe ties, and stopped wearing short pants, for sake wearing the pants we think of today?

Charles Henry Sanson comes to mind, but there is also Oliver Cromwell as well. I always thought they’d both look better, if they were dressed like Mad Max or Terminator.

But joking aside, it seems like I notice fashion choices a lot more in historical pieces than modern fiction.

Nowadays, if someone dressed in torn up jeans and Jesus sandals, either we assume it’s some kind of counter-fashion statement (Beatniks, Punks, Hippies), or someone truly doesn’t know how to dress themselves, and make them look like a stereotypical “lady or gentleman”.

As someone who likes it when writers blend historical and science fiction.

3 Likes

I would say that early in the Georgian era/Regency era men had buckle shoes and short pants, then by then end of the regency era/ early Victorian era, it was completely out of fashion.
So you have a 15 years lapse where the change happened, from 1805 to 1820.
But then, I’m no expert, but I think that’s you answer :slight_smile:

images
sbe-1850-red-cravat-450

3 Likes

Yep, that’s perfect. Thankie!

1 Like

I love this topic, like fashion is one of the best things about writing historical fiction in my opinion. It’s such a big part of the identity of the person and contributes to the feel of that specific period of time. Also quite hard but so much fun to research haha

3 Likes

I remember the looks I’d get sometimes, if I wanted to find a book on different styles of Wooden Shoes in Europe. Or perhaps, when the Guillotine was finally used before discontinuation. ( Which if the current politics of the political right is anything to go by, is somewhat of a moving target. )

I think they were the kind of person that questioned your motives, if you ever “did basic research.”

I don’t know, when you’re a relationship like that, it’s less about the nature of the thing you’re researching, and more about their desire to twist your arm to do things you don’t want to.

exactly! Im writing a historical book and its super interesting looking at facts and details of things and learning about them

1 Like

Yeah, even just for your own idea, it doesn’t even have to make the published story, but I always want a clear view on it myself

1 Like

You are most welcomed. Those areas are kind of my area of expertise, for reading and writing, so it was my pleasure :wink:

1 Like

Right!! Gets weird sometimes. At one point I was researching underwear in the 1600s. Quite interesting too really :wink:

3 Likes

Well I also love cooking (I cook a lot of Latin American and Asian cuisine at home).

And you know, go far back enough, the author researching may be as … socially accurate as possible … but make no mistake, Catherine Howard losing her head is exactly what that is.

If you do Historical Scifi blend, that’s one thing. But ordinarily you can’t stray much beyond the historical record.

So I wanted to ask instead of assuming, fashion choices.

Now whether such historical records are accurate: based on the context (just within the narrow scope of say Computer History) there is isn’t a lot of agreement: factuals and counter-factuals.

It kind of makes me wonder how my idols I love in computer will be remembered in history actually.

1 Like

It’s more difficult to find out what clothing some people wore in the past compared to others

2 Likes

That and music, you might be surprised how much clothing goes along with music.

Obviously not as explicitly as some … regional differences in the US.

1 Like

i suppose it can, but i was refering to time periods/cultures where not much is written or drawn about the clothing they wore.