Radish, Tapas etc.

I am considering branching out beyond Wattpad and hopefully, monetising some of my work. I’d had a look at previous discussions on places like Radish and Tapas, but they were from a few months ago, so I thought I’d try to get a fresher perspective. So, some questions for authors who had used these websites:

What has your experience been with them?
What genre(s) do you write?
Do you advertise your works and if so, where?
What level of editing did you do before publication?

Radish is ridiculously hard to get into. You have to apply and not everyone gets accepted.

Tapas is a lot less elitist and way easier to get monetised. But their character limit for novels is ridiculous. So if you write small scenes/chapters you won’t have any issues. If you don’t, then the 15k character limit might be a killer.

Anyways, Tapas is really good. I can definitely recommend it as it’s both web-based and app-based, as opposed to Radish which is all app-based. And exclusive.

I tried publishing on Tapas, and I write Dark Fantasy. Tapas is great for slice-of-life and queer centred comics and novels. There are a few fantasy novels who do well too.

I didn’t advertise - but I didn’t need to. Getting to the front page under “popular” is very easy.

I do heavy amounts of editing - I’d do even more for Tapas if the goal was to monetise the work.

I’ve had a quick look at my chapters, they run anywhere between 10k and 25k characters. I suppose it should be possible to split the longer ones into two parts with a bit of rewriting.

I get the impression Radish in particular is very heavy on Romance, which would be a problem as even for Fantasy, my novels contain few romantic elements.

Are you still publishing on Tapas, or have you switched to other platforms?

Radish does have a lot of Romance, but I reckon it’s like watching Wattpad from the outside. You see a lot of Romance here too, but we all know there’s a lot of other stuff too. Serialised writing online was more or less founded with Romance, and it is what sells the most. Both online and offline. So I think everyone is just shoving Romance out there as it’s the easiest sell. But there are other books on Radish too :smile:

I post exclusively to Wattpad. I haven’t found anything that was as comfortable as Wattpad and I have full control here. And with me being in Paid Stories, my works will soon be monetised. So I have no reason to branch out just yet. But if I did want to, I’d give Tapas another go. I like the community there and have been a member since 2015. I just gotta figure out how not to write 5k words scenes :joy:

I don’t have much experience with radish, but I am on tapas. It’s really good for queer centered books, but I’ve found that’s it’s harder to get noticed with books that aren’t queer. The character limit is a pain, as the above person said, but you kinda get used to it after a while. The only trouble for me is finding where to split my longer chapters.
As for genre, I write sci fi and fantasy. I do dabble in pure romance sometimes. Most of the time, I write queer characters but a couple of my books feature straight MC’s. My books with queer characters always do much better.
The above person is right about it being easy to get on the popular page, but I do advertise a little bit on my twitter. It doesn’t seem to do much for me though

Honestly, tapas is pretty good once you get past the character limit thing. The community is great and it’s pretty easy to navigate

Are there urban fiction on any one of those sites?

Urban as in streetlit.

I haven’t seen any on Tapas. I’m not sure Urban Fic in general is very big within serialised online publishing.

But try on Radish? It wouldn’t surprise me if there was some there.

That’s a great point actually. You look at the front page of Wattpad and you get a skewed view of what the website is like.

Congrats on getting accepted into the program!

Right? So I’m thinking Radish has a lot more to offer than just what meets the eye. You can always try and apply. You lose literally nothing by trying! :sparkles:

Hmm, my urban fantasy project does have two queer characters in prominent roles. They were supposed to get together, but halfway through the first draft, I realised those two had absolutely no chemistry with each other and were still not over their previous partners. There went my plans for a B-plot romance :joy::joy:

Tapas is the one I’m considering with my next book. But their character limit might mean it won’t work for me. That 15K character limit is only like 2K words. I have chapters that often exceed that so that’s been my only reluctance.

Radishbeing app based only thing instantly rules me out. I’m just not a big fan of apps and most of my writing is done via my laptop. So would be hard to figure out how to get it onto Radish.

I write mostly fantasy but occasionally branch out.

There’s urban fiction on Radish, for sure.

I was accepted into Radish in less than 24 hours and they talked it up in the email, but then after a month they just stopped talking to me, and my novel didn’t do well on it. I wasn’t happy at all.

I’ve never been on Tapas, so I can’t say much about it, but I’ve heard good things.

I applied to Radish awhile back because I thought that everyone could post for free like on Wattpad, but just a few got accepted for money. I received an email saying it would take two to six weeks to hear back, and if I was rejected, I wouldn’t hear back at all.

I instantly got a rejection email. Literally not even enough time to read my story. That’s when someone told me that all they care about is your reach - your follower count on here, on other sites, or on social media.

No idea if that’s true or not, but I can tell you that they didn’t even have enough time to actually read my story.

I applied to Radish last year. I got denied at first. I didn’t understand why because, at the risk of sounding arrogant, my work is a lot better than a lot of the work on that site. I asked why I was rejected, and they told me it was because my book used the N word. They told me to take it out, I agreed, and they accepted me. Whole thing happened pretty quickly. Maybe two weeks, but I think it was shorter than that. It’s not hard to get accepted if you’re a good writer.

Now, on that note, Radish really likes romance. I write urban fiction (and urban fantasy, but I wasn’t doing that at the time), and there’s no audience for my genre, so I haven’t had much success there. Even though the Radish people specifically suggested one of my urban novels because they really wanted a diverse set of books. Genre is super important.

I reached out to them and they didn’t tell me anything. All they said was I could re-submit an application with a new work in six months, and that they normally don’t even send rejection emails.

You said in another comment that you got an instant rejection email, right? That’s pretty weird. Maybe a part of your application was incomplete?

The application process was one thing that turned me away, plus I don’t know what their promotions are like for their paid stories. I decided to hit the apply button for Wattpad’s Paid Stories because of the promotion they do by placing the stories on the front page every single day. Plus, I already know how to market myself on places like Twitter.

Don’t think I’ll get accepted into Next but keeping fingers crossed for the dream lol.

Tapas is meh. Haven’t had too much success with tipping on it. I’ve kind of left the website because they don’t have a very active community.

It definitely wasn’t incomplete, but yes, it was almost instant. Like maybe, maybe, if they started reading it the second they received my application, they may have made it through half my story.

And then I reached out to them because I thought getting an email and how quickly I got it was bizarre, and they gave me no reasoning.

I have no idea what that could have been about, then. I suppose it’s possible that they liked your work but had too much stuff in that genre at the moment? That would explain them welcoming you to reapply if they don’t usually send rejection emails. Give it another shot.