Radish, Tapas etc.

Well they said a “new” work so I took that as “don’t submit this work again” but I suppose it could’ve been just a default response. Regardless, I’m no longer interested in their site just based on what I’ve heard and what little interaction I did have with them. That’s, of course, my own opinion though.

I saw Radish has a coin system for readers too. Does anyone know how it translates to money to writers?

I decided to take the plunge and applied for Radish last night (can’t hurt to apply, right?). There was an acceptance email sitting in my inbox this morning.

I guess I’ll report on how it ends up working out in a few months.

I’m not sure if anyone responded to you or not, but when you’re a writer on Radish you get access to an online web version in order to post chapters and check out your earnings and such.

Radish reached out to me over Twitter when they first started up. I initially ignored it as I thought they were poachers, but after a while I started hearing all the hype surrounding this new way for writers to make money off of their work through their app.

A month or so after they reached out to me I got back to them. They had me set up in less than 24 hours. But I wasn’t a fan of the their community aspect. I don’t know if it’s changed now, but readers couldn’t leave comments, there was no forums, and to be honest it felt like the romance novels were the only stories truly bringing in the big bucks.

I also checked out Tapas, but never dived in.

I’d like to stay exclusive to Wattpad and see if I can get into their Paid Stories program. That would be ideal, but we’ll see.

That’s good to know. Makes it a bit more user friendly that way. I still probablynwouldnt try it just because the whole having to apply thing feels too elitist to me, but at least they have something for us non-app users to upload with.

Just in case this is useful to someone.

The guidance Radish gives out to authors suggests 1000-2000 word chapters too. Looks like fiction in bitesize is the way of the future.

Right. For example, the US President self-pubs fiction in twitter bites.
:wink:

(Sorry, holidays coming - couldn’t help it.)

Gotta give it to him. He’s mastered the art of the plot twist and the dramatic cliffhanger…:joy::joy::joy:

And his villains are masterful! Writers really should write about things they know. ooops, off-topic.
divesunder

That’s sad… :confused:

Any tips on getting accepted? I know they care about how much reach you have. I have 6k followers on Instagram (author profile) and 5k on Quotev (writing/role playing site). If accepted I plan on re-working some fanfics into original stories as well as publishing purely original fiction

I’m really nervous lol

Don’t be nervous!

From what I gather Radish is largely into numbers. I don’t know what they look at specifically, but I’m sure reads and followers are part of the equation.

My suggestion would be to keep writing and networking. You’ll get on their radar one way or another (:

I got declined and I have a monthly reach of over 50k (which I mentioned) and a large marketing background with good conversion rates cross sites. I’m not quite sure if their acceptance is based off of numbers anymore.

Wow, that’s crazy.

I guess things have changed since I got in. I wonder what they’re looking for now.

I’m not sure. I thought I had a really strong application, and I had a few other Radish authors actually encourage me to apply, so I did. I write mostly what they want, and like I said, I have good conversion rates, marketing, and a large audience.

I think maybe they might be scaling back a bit. I know a few others who applied around the time I did and were also declined.

Makes me glad I chose not to ever apply. If you can’t get picked when you write things with heavy romance like they seem to lean toward, no way I’d have a chance LOL

They accepted me, a person who doesn’t have an instagram account and only got twitter last week. I did include links to my profiles on Wattpad, Archive of Our Own and Fanfiction.net, which may or may not have made a difference.

Also, I tacked on a bit of info about the novel to the end of the synopsis: it’s compete at x number of words, it’s a standalone with series potential and the audience it would appeal to. Again, no idea if that was a factor in their decision.

When I applied last week, I used one of my ongoing stories (which is part of a series) that only had 10 chapters on Wattpad as a writing sample, then pitched a new story I plan to work on for the synopsis. I received an acceptance email the next day.

Here’s what I think they’re looking for:

A story, that’s not posted elsewhere yet,

A story that’s part of a series, or has the potential to become one. (From looking through the stories on the app, a lot of them are parts of ongoing series)

Social media reach (though I don’t think it’s all that important) My twitter is a ghost town, no instagram, and Wattpad the only place I post stories. I did include links to my published book on Amazon and Goodreads though.

All this is speculation though, there may be something else they look at, I’m not certain.

i seem to recall tapas having some issues when it comes to trying to own peoples’ ip that was posted on their site…