Re-tellings and Copyright Infringement

I don’t know enough of US law, or trademark law in general, but I’m guessing this refers to their version of Cinderella, the iconic blonde girl in a blue ball gown wearing glass slippers.

What?!?! But Netflix has a Cinderella RIP off movie like, seasonally.

Disney owns a trademark for “Cinderella” :slight_smile: Trademarks are supposed to be for specific types of goods or services, and in theory, if you have a trademark on a name for one type of good or service, that doesn’t stop someone else from having a trademark on the same name for some other type. Many years ago, Apple (the computer company) weren’t allowed to have anything to do with music, because would infringe on the trademarks owned by Apple (the record company founded by the Beatles).

The link you gave says that Disney’s Cinderella trademark is for “Cushions; figurines and statuettes made of plastic; figurines and statuettes made of wood; hand fans; mirrors; non-Christmas ornaments made of plastic; picture frames; pillows; sleeping bags; wind chimes.” So I’m guessing it’s for protecting Disney’s Cinderella merchandise from counterfeiters, not for preventing other writers from publishing their own versions of the story.

yes.

trademarks are like macdonalds, kfc, burger king and so on.

it’s crazy how trademarks are used to prevent people from using the characters but that’s not how trademarks work.

i guess it was allowed since these characters like their own movies but what about side characters like donald duck and goofy? how did they trademark these characters?

btw how do companies hold copyrights for more than 70 years? are companies able to circumvent the rule/law of life+70years?