Reader Habits: Minimum Read Counts

What is the minimum numbers of reads a story needs to have before you reach a point of being “more likely” to read it/open it/click it to view description?

I know for all people there isn’t necessarily a perfect switch of “I won’t read anything with under 1000 reads” but usually there’s a likelihood index that shifts as you approach higher numbers of reads (or not, depending on who you are). So as the reads go higher, you’re more likely to read it, and higher could be the difference between 1 and 5 or 5 and 1000 or 1000 and 100,000. What’s your number before you start leaning more and more into “likely” to click into a story?

And does that number change? Do you have a different index for different types of content? Is there a genre or niche that will make you toss aside your index altogether?

Are you here to lie and say reads don’t matter to you? (Cause I will 100% go check, I have the data that shows me they do).

Unless you’re the mystical 0-read reader who really will go out of their way to find stories with no reads.

2 Likes

I think I used to read books with over 10k reads. Not sure why. Because the reads show it’s a good quality book I guess? But that’s not always true. I’ve stopped doing that. Now I care if it’s a) a completed story b) has an intriguing blurb and perhaps c) is written by an author I know.

I have a tendency of staying away from books with millions of reads. Like After or a lot of teen fic books. I rather read a book because I consider it interesting not because everyone else has read it. Took me so many years to read Dead In Bed but I don’t care, I deemed it worth reading not its amount of reads.

5 Likes

The bulk of what I choose to read is fantasy. Simple as that.

3 Likes

And read count doesn’t matter? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

not especially. completion can, but I’m not absolute about it.

1 Like

As part of this research. I’m asking for the specific answer. “Not really” implies there is a number and it does matter in some sense. When does it start to matter? Does this mean I can show you any fantasy book, period, with any read count, and you will always click in and open it?

1 Like

I pretty much decide to read or not based on the grammar of the description. I never look at the read counts, so I’d say zero- As long as it appears to be readable.

3 Likes

No, it’s more of whims and interest in the description.

So you open every single Fantasy story to read its description?

1 Like

You’re being pedantic.

That’s like asking someone if they go into a bookstore and look at every single book before deciding on one. People stop at titles and covers that interest them.

7 Likes

not always. Sometimes I go a while without reading for pleasure.

2 Likes

When I was still reading on Wattpad, reads never mattered to me. I judged on the blurb and book cover. If at least one of those drew me in, then I’d give it through the first chapter. Now I will say I didn’t go out of my way to seek out the undiscovered, but I don’t think I ever once looked at the reads to decide if the book was worth looking at. Now with the blurbs hidden until you click on a book, the cover would be what draws me in to click and read the blurb. Even though I haven’t read on here in a while, I’ll still do that when I randomly look at the hot lists. I’ll see a cover I like and click on it to check out the blurb.

I don’t read teen fiction. And since a lot of werewolf books are all about mates and alphas and crap I basically don’t read werewolf either. I’m typically found reading fantasy.

5 Likes

I’m probably much more likely to be influenced by a good cover than be read counts, not that that’s any better. :smiley:

Most of the books with lower read-counts I come across are on someone’s profile, since they don’t show up many other places, and if I’ve clicked on someone’s profile I’m probably already interested enough to look at the description, at least. But in that case, I wouldn’t be actively turned off if the read-count was in the single digits.

If anything, I think it has the most impact on me at the higher levels. Once the books get into the million reads category, I’m often intrigued to have a look at what has captivated so many people. And of course, books with higher reads are simply more visible on the hot lists and as recommendations.

But overall, on Wattpad I read more in my circle friends and people I’ve spoken to.

6 Likes

That’s his job :nick: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

At first when I joined Wattpad and was still figuring out my way around. I used to read stories that had a good amount of reads: more than 10k as far as I can recall. Later on I read stories that had a nice title and an intriguing blurb. Nowdays I go by recommendations or authors that I know are good. I’ve become picky with my reading as I grew up on wattpad.

4 Likes

My point about the bookstore stands regardless xD

2 Likes

Before I go to bed and sleep (or try to), I’ll chip in here.

I don’t typically look at reads as the first thing, but if to answer this question with only the reads in mind, it highly depends on if the writer has other works and how the blurb is constructed. If it readable (eligible), then it’ll entice me a lot more. Obviously the cover gives you a good idea too since the presentation of a god cover gives you the insight that the writer has taken the time to do a good cover.

Also, the read/vote ratio plays into effect here. If it’s balanced out quite well, then it’s more of an enticement to read. Typically, the 1k mark is usually a good indicator that the writer has tried to market their book, gotten friends to read, they’ve tried ways to gain them (and if the vote count is in the 150+, then that’s another good indicator that other people have enjoyed it.

And as some have stated, the higher the reads of a book, the more likely it is to be found. I’ve noticed that since joining Wattpad, but if you really want to find new content, you have to search. But for me, anything with 1k reads or more tends to be the starting point of when things take off a little for a book and it becomes more noticeable outside of circles of friends.

In saying that though, you can find some gems that have had low reads. I’ve typically found them from word of mouth or interaction with the writer on the threads. And if they have a kick ass cover, then that puts the icing on the cake (tbh, my favorite book on Wattpad hasn’t even hit 1k yet. It’s highly underrated, but a shame the writer doesn’t advertise it. They just write because it makes them happy, no matter how many reads/votes/comments they get. Those types of humble writers are great). I went a little off topic there.

Anyway, while some of the higher reads (10k+) are easier to find, sometimes they’re not that great (but that comes with what demographic the writer targeted or attracted). I’m a little fussy at times with what I read, but at the end of the day, if something has a good cover that looks like the writer paid a lot of attention too, and a interesting title, I’ll click on it to read the blurb AFTER I see that the read/vote balance is proportionate.

2 Likes

I have to be pedantic and continuously pressure people on statements made as absolutes. This is common in research because human nature is to give super broad answers. My usual flow goes like this:

What kind of story will you read?
Oh anything.
So you like all types of stories?
Yup, I’m fine with anything.
(Pick a niche and polarizing genre) So you like Horror stories?
Oh no, I don’t like being scared.
Ok, so you like Science Fiction stories?
No, I’m not really into aliens and stuff. I really like love stories.

So in the above you move from “I read anything” to “I read love stories.”

Or in this case, most people when asked what the minimum # of reads is almost always answer with “they don’t matter” or “the description/blurb/cover/x matters more” but statistically that isn’t true. And I don’t just mean we have data showing people don’t read stories until they hit a certain point.

I mean if we turn off read counts next to stories, people click them less. With the same cover, the same blurb, the same everything else, you just take away read count and less reading happens.

9 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking then, what do the stats say about when reads start snowballing? Looking at my own book, I think I’ve had a steadier stream of traffic after I hit 10K, though I haven’t kept that close a track of it.

4 Likes

Well, you are asking a group of writers at the moment, and we trend towards not caring about the reads because we seem to be more picky about our stories, so that’s probably part of the disparity.

I personally forget the read count exist unless I’m looking at my own stories to check. That’s just it. I’d rather look into stories by title, cover, and then blurb, like at a bookstore.

The downtick by taking away read count might be a genuinely reader based thing. It’s really interesting, though, because that’s not how people read in real life, unless it’s the same thing as seeing your friends reading a book and wanting to read it because they are. Is there a way you can ask them (readers only) instead of us grammar nazis?

3 Likes