Religion, Spirituality, or Lack Thereof

I asked that we change topic last night since it had devolved into political. Apparently, some people felt like not respecting that.

Everyone:

Let’s officially move on with @heiress-of-slytherin’s new topic. If anyone tried to continue the political one, ignore them please.

I need to go stop in lab but I’ll be back later.

Addressing one thing before I go since it isn’t related to the political tripe.

Um…you don’t “believe” LGBT? We exist. We’re not really a matter of your “belief.” Our existence is not debatable. The only “influence” we want is for the rest of y’all to treat us like human beings.

Do you mean JUDAISM? “Judeo-Christianity” is not a real thing.

And since you later reference the religions you feel “have the greatest influence on the situation in the world and humanity” I think this is the time for a gentle reminder that unless you’re a subscriber to the disgusting farce that is the Jewish global control conspiracy theories, our little religion making up 0.2% of the world’s population, isn’t amoung them.

It is the whispers in the wind, earth and spirit realm. Knowledge and insight you shouldn’t have. Things that draw you in, things you know, things that many others have to train long for that you just can do.

It is gifts, that draws you in. And it is up to you to decide if you accept those gives or run away from them.

Yet one has to understand, these gifts were your to take already, they were yours. It was just waiting on you to accept them back.

A. LGBTQ people are ordinary people.

B. the%20joke%20and%20you

This could be a somewhat inarticulate way of saying that Judaism provided the philosophical basis for Christianity and Islam, which have actual influence over the world.

I’m not really sure what ‘Judeo-Christianity’ is supposed to mean though

Still can’t get over the implication LGBTQ people are not ordinary people.

I like vagina, I’m not a one eyed one legged flying purple people eater.

ANYWAYS RELIGION!

Let’s break this into a few questions:

1. How are children born into your religion taught about it?

2. If someone wants to convert to your religion, a) can they, and b) what’s the process?

I was raised Catholic and I know from a very young age I was in CCD and bible camps and whatnot plus church every Sunday. You’re baptized as a baby but I don’t think you’re considered a full member of the church until confirmation. I’m the only one in my family who never had confirmation. But even though I don’t practice Catholicism and instead an entirely different type of belief system, I would still be considered by some to be Catholic due to being baptized.

IDK how people convert but I know an old friend’s sister had to convert to Catholicism so she could marry her fiancee.

My mother married my father back in the day while he was Catholic and she was England Churcher. And for years, she went to church with us and even taught CCD without having converted herself. But then at some point, years later, she did make that choice and converted. I think there are classes available,but IDK if there are any required, I think she just had to talk to the priest. Then she went through her own sacraments.

If someone else Catholic in the thread doesn’t know in more detail, and it seems of interest, I could ask her for more specifics later about how she converted.

I am an atheist but I was raised in a rigid and extraordinarily religious Orthodox home… So I feel well informed enough to answer.

Children born into any STRICT, RIGID organized religion (not referring to people with softer beliefs) in my opinion are essentially brainwashed - surrounded by the love of their particular god, and taught that other beliefs are evil, untrue, even in some cases, that isolation from the outside world is necessary in order to preserve your own purity and holiness. You read your children stories of saints, and take them to church multiple times a week for hours on end, and essentially saturate them at all times, from all angles, with only your religion’s belief systems, and get angry if other adults try to discuss things that don’t fit in that belief system in front of your kids.

In this instance also, conversion is sought after and encouraged, in my specific experience people would be wandering in life, lost as adults, seeking some form of acceptance, community, and a place to belong. They go through a year or so of educational classes, teachings from ancient writings including the Bible and other elders’ interpretations of it, and are allowed to attend and participate in almost all of the normal church events. However they are not allowed to take communion or participate in other church sacraments… You gotta drink the koolaid to be part of the club.

Which brings us to baptism.

Once the priest arbitrarily decides that you are ready to be baptized, you are, and at that point are assigned a fairy godmother or godfather (okay spiritual not fairy but you get my drift). They are there to guide you through this spiritual journey and help ensure that you don’t have doubts or drift and stray.

I realize I’m talking too much and nobody cares but… I am not exaggerating on any points, and when I read this over to me, it sounds like a cult. :laughing:

Doesn’t organized religion scare anyone else?

Following Jesus truly is an amazing freedom, I agree! Many traditions become too overemphasized, though.

Why does it set you more free than not following Jesus would?

Because it sets you free from many of the worries and anxieties of the world. There’s a lot of ways it sets you free, i’m about to have to head to class so I can’t list them all, but I may try to list some when I get back.

All right.

To me it just seems like you’re living in the same world and dealing with the same stresses but you’ve found a coping mechanism to externalize them. Which is fantastic, if that’s what works for you. I just don’t like it when people try to claim it’s the only way to find that freedom, you know? Like yours is the only path. I’m not saying yours is a bad path I’m just saying why is it that if you don’t follow Jesus your life is less, somehow? I don’t say your life is less for following Jesus, even though I don’t believe it’s the correct/truth.

No offense to anyone, but this sounds a lot like Catholicism.

For me, I’m Christian, we were told about God, taught about Jesus, and surrounded with love and support by our parents, but always reminded that they would love us no matter what. In my family, I had parents who lived the teachings of the Bible and showed God’s love. No conversion was forced or really “encouraged”. Yes, it was talked about and encouraged, but not in a forceful manner. In a loving manner. We were left to make out own decisions about out faith and encouraged to question and search and study other faiths, other beliefs, etc.

We do go to church regularly.

It’s not catholocism, it’s Orthodox Christianity.

That’s great, people who are taught about religion in a positive way are more likely to remain religious into adulthood. But it still comes across as brainwashing to me.

At least they were encouraging for you to seek out and explore other faiths. That’s a really big one for me, if your faith allows that, then I’m much more likely to approve of it. :laughing:

What do you mean by Orthodox Christianity?

I mean, why not learn about other peoples faiths? Then you can understand them. It’s kind of like cultures.

I guess I never felt brainwashed. I felt supported and maybe influenced but it was my decision to repent and be baptized.

Okay. What age were you baptized, may I ask? Was it over the age of consent? :smiley:

I mean the religion, Orthodox Christianity. It’s a religion. :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually agree (might have said before in this or another thread) that faith systems which teach that a particular faith must be the one and only truth for everyone are concerning, in my opinion, and a can be problematic in pluralistic societies with freedom of belief and practice.

But my own…anecdotal experience here… with being raised in Roman Catholic in the Eastern US was that for whatever reason my father was himself strong in his faith but also believed very strongly in thinking for oneself and critical thinking, and encouraged this in us. And, though I went to a Catholic affiliated prep school, one of our required classes was World Religions in which we were taught about (if we didn’t already know) various other faiths, and my recollection is that they were treated objectively.

So, IDK, I myself identify as agnostic, now (My family are fine with this. Some siblings have remained Catholic, one is Christian now but no longer Catholic, and some are agnostic and/or non-practicing) and I find the “one true” concept as applied to being for everyone sometimes problematic (like those who think because they don’t believe a thing is right for them that no one should do it), but I also think there’s familial and broader cultural influences that can make a particular situation more or less strict.

There isn’t any formal introduction into Hinduism. I guess all you need is the belief and respect the traditions.

We have prayers everyday and from childhood everyone in the house joins in at prayer time. It’s once a day. As the kids grow, prayer songs are taught and they sing during pooja. Some kids are sent to these religious classes. I’ve attended one such class back then. We learnt more prayers, bhajans and slokas there. Lots of singing, storytelling and enacting the stories as theatre dramas etc. Otherwise the majority I’ve learnt about Hinduism is from my parents and me asking questions about the various traditions we follow and festivals that we celebrate. Oh, and Mahabaratha and Ramayana, the two main stories are dramatized and also made into comics so that more people get to know them.

Okay, that’s the one I thought you were talking about.

I was 12 when I was baptized.