Religion, Spirituality, or Lack Thereof

A lot of people would say twelve is too young to be making any major life decisions.

But that’s a whole different kettle of fish.

I agree with you, that’s a good point… I guess my problem with the whole thing boils down to not liking the “one true” concept in general, not just with religions. Thinking about any one thing in just one way is tantamount to brain death. :laughing:

But of course you’re right. Even just having a father who believes in critical thinking can save you from a life of blind worship. Or can show you that even though maybe there are flaws in the logic, it doesn’t matter, because you have better reasons to accept it as truth.

Yeah, my family and church have always done baptism based off of spiritual maturity which is different.

I wonder if that defense would hold up in court with anything other than religion. :thinking:

Maturity has always been slightly relative for me because so much more than just development affect maturity. Disease, mental illness, circumstance, differences in people, all have an affect on maturity.

For things like driving and drinking and stuff, though, it’s important to consider averages just because you can’t judge everything on a case by case basis.

Faith is a bit different. A 12 year old drives they may kill someone. A 12 year old is baptized, there’s no harm done. The 12 year old and the 56 year old getting baptized may have the same level of spiritual knowledge/maturity. Therefore the age is less important.

Of course. But I would say a mature twelve-year-old is the exception rather than the rule.

I dunno. I’ve met some amazing mature 12 year olds.

Spiritual maturity also isn’t based on age. Like I said above, a 12 year old and a 56 year old could be spiritually at the same maturity level.

How do you gauge spiritual maturity? Is it something priests and your parents tell you?

Who gives them the authority?

Can I be emotionally and in all other ways mature, yet spiritually be a child? If so, what is the distinction between emotional and spiritual maturity? Does one affect the other?

We don’t have a priest and it’s not really something may one else gauges. It’s a personal thing. However, others can see it and recognize it in you. When I was baptized I did have to talk to an elder about understanding the full implications of what I was doing but he wasn’t judging my maturity just making sure I understood.

Spiritual maturity and age maturity can be separate. A 50 year old could have the spiritual maturity of a 10 year old and a 15 year old could have the spiritual maturity of a 50 year old. If you grow up learning and maturing your spiritual and age maturity can be linked but one can easily surpass the other.

I see.

I mean… it sounds to me like you’re equating emotional maturity with spiritual maturity, honestly?

Sorry, that’s not what I’m trying to do at all.

Emotional maturity can surpass age but it’s rare. Spiritual maturity is different than emotional maturity.

How are they different?

Because I would argue that going through hardships, disease, stuff like that as you stated before, would be more likely to develop emotional maturity for the most part, rather than anything spiritual.

Spiritual maturity is more on growing in knowledge and understanding.

Emotional maturity is growing emotionally.

The two can be linked and can be the same, but they aren’t inherently reliant on each other.

Hmm. By that definition then it’s not spiritual at all, just… being intelligent and capable of learning and grasping the concepts solidly.

It is intelligence but there’s also an indescribable element of it that is spiritual. It’s growing closer to God. Not just learning about Him.

I see.

Welp, good for your twelve year olds then. :stuck_out_tongue: They’re totally cognizent of their decisions and understand their own minds and are therefore ready for a lifelong commitment.

Again, wondering if that reasoning would hold up in any other circumstance (aka a twelve year old getting married, etc.) but… eh. Doesn’t matter.

Well those things don’t require spiritual maturity.

And yeah, I’ve still learned a lot since I was baltized, I’ll never stop growing spiritually, but the elders and my parents made sure I fully understood my commitment before I made it.

Ok.

I don’t really understand why you would ever need to be over the age of consent to join a religion