Religion, Spirituality, or Lack Thereof

Yeah that sounds about right for Sparta.

Ah, thank you! I couldn’t remember if that was unique to them or not; I just remember that we learned that part while covering Sparta.

Question on Judaism

HIIII so I’m studying for a test but I can’t really understand / answer a question that is on my study guide… (probs cause I’m overthinking it)

“Explain what is included among the Hebrew scripture and writings including the Torah, Midrash, Mishnah, Gemara, and Talmud.”

So I have the Torah down… but I don’t understand what the Midrash and Mishnah is…

Like I googled it but it’s confusing me even more…

If anyone could help that would be great ! :slight_smile:

@absentminded_artist I summon you to help us clarify with some questions about Judaism!

Sorry, I have too much fun with the idea of “summoning” people to a discussion.

So first I question whoever made this study guide for asking the question like this since some of the things listed are literally part of other things listed. Also for asking about “Torah” and not “Tanakh.” I’m not surprised you got confused, the question it’s convoluted. So here goes my best attempt to untangle the mess.

Tanakh = Torah + Nevi’im + Ketuvim.

• Torah (Teachings) = Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
  • Neviʾim (Prophets) = Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi
  • Ketuvim (Writings) = Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Solomon, Ruth, Lamentations of Jeremiah, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra, I and II Chronicles

Talmud = Mishnah + Gemara

• Mishnah = the first compilation of rabbinic law, published around 200 CE Rabbi Judah the Patriarch in Israel.
  • Gemara = Discussions of the Mishnah.
  • Good Breakdown

Midrash = Midrash Halacha + Midrash Aggadah

• Interpretation of the Torah.
  • Midrash Halacha = interpretation of Torah law and religious practice.
  • Midrash Aggadah = interpretation of ethics or theology from the narratives.
  • Better Explanations

Ooooo thank you so much!!!

Glad to help :slight_smile:

How’d your test go? (if you’ve taken it yet)

It went pretty good! (It actually didn’t go over that question much 0-0 :joy::joy: But i remembered it anyway)

I hate when that happens.

I had an exam earlier this semester that was nothing like the study guide and YIKES.

I hate when those happen xD causes me to over stress

I’m like 13 days late, but I’ll be brief. God has free will. He has the ability to sin, but being God, He will not betray His essense of pure goodness. Angels also have free will, because otherwise lucifer could not have been filled with sin and pride. And him and the other angels could not have fallen from grace.

And there is still free will in heaven. Humans that make it there know what the price of sin is, because they lived it. Sinning at that point would not be worth it. But there is still free will.

New Topic: The Holiday Season.

:sparkler: :tada: :fire: :candle: :confetti_ball: :snowman_with_snow: :christmas_tree: :menorah: :sparkles: :notes: :snowflake: :notes: :sparkles: :menorah: :christmas_tree: :snowman_with_snow: :confetti_ball: :candle: :fire: :tada: :sparkler:

Hannukkah is over but lots still remain!

What do you celebrate?

What your plans?

What’s your favorite tradition?

The Theory of Evolution: Q&A and General Discussion

I celebrate both the solstice and christimas.

On the solstice we have a huge party and invite everyone we now. Christmas is quieter, and just really with the imitate family.

The tree is up and lit, trying to prep the house for guests, still got shopping to do, mostly food and stocking stuffers for my sister’s kids, since she’s invited herself to my house for a week or two😂

I’ll be making a birthday cake for Jesus for dessert :birthday:

My spouse and I celebrate a secular Christmas. We have lights up on our porch and we’ll be exchanging gifts on either the 24th or 25th.

I recently tried eggnog but that is NOT happening again, bleh…

Well, I have presents for my students to give out on our half day this Wednesday during our holiday celebration.

Then Saturday my parents, aunt and cousins, uncle and his wife, and my mom’s parents and I will go out to eat our annual Christmas supper together. Spend time together and open extended family presents.

Sunday will be spent in church, refocusing (well during the service I’ll be attending; I will be spending the second service in the nursery).

Christmas Eve is spent in prayer and fasting (and listening to O Holy Night and Mary Did You Know on repeat).

Christmas morning is with parents and siblings, eating breakfast, opening gifts, reading the Bible together (we read the birth and death of Christ).

Then the rest of Christmas will be spent in prayer and fasting back at my house. I don’t take Christmas lightly and personally, I don’t find it as happy or joyful as others do.

THANK YOU!

I hate eggnog.

It looks good when there’s nutmeg sprinkled on top but ugh, it’s too sweet for me. And THAT is weird to me, knowing there’s egg in it.

I can’t stand eggnog either.

My boyfriend pours in honey whiskey into his, and that makes it taste even more disgusting to me because I don’t drink alcohol :joy: