Romance...without the smut?

writing
question

so scare.

When did anyone say anything about purging stuff?

And this is a ROMANCE. Meaning they WANT to write romance, but what they don’t want to write is the sex scenes!

They’re not calling for everything to be censored, but just asking a meager question about if sex is necessary for a romance book.

Where are you getting all this purging and censoring bull from???

Also, I had no idea that fiction without romance or sex was automatically Christian because that religion owns it? Why can’t a story about two best friends or something just be a nice light story and not belong to a religion?

Hey Schuyler,

Please remember that Wattpad is a welcoming community. Let’s try and keep things civil all around.

Thanks for understanding.

Mo - Community Ambasssdor

I think this is the point everyone’s trying to make, and it’s one I agree with you on. It applies to everyone equally here, whether you want to write steamy scenes or not :slight_smile:

I feel like everyone in this thread has pretty much covered the essentials (you know, like write what you want to write). However, I think I should mention that if you have a lot of sexual tension and buildup between characters, most readers are going to expect something more than a heated makeout session. Now, it is completely up to you whether or not you want to deliver on this, but there are plenty of ways to write very mild sex scenes where intimacy is implied and not explicitly described. A lot of teen fiction books do this to appeal to a younger audience while also showing the sexual “closeness” between characters. If you write something like this (which you are in no way obligated to do), I suggest having your characters mention later on that they had sex in dialogue or otherwise. I’ve noticed that even if sex is implied, some readers still don’t pick up on it. sigh

To write mild sex scenes, you basically just describe how the characters are feeling, without any of the physical details.

I don’t think you need sexual tension between the characters though, though I’d expect it depends on the age of the MCs and the context.

Like, I can imagine a totally cute and realistic romance between teens or maybe the two guys are being with guys for the first time and are hesitant or something like that. Not everything has to be riled up with steam and sexual tension to be a good romance, I think! :blush:

I mean, I know I like a lot of romantic comedies and such where the intimacy shown is more on an emotional level and there’s never a sex scene, yet I root for the couple and I see their relationship grow and I love it!

Or there could always be a mention of sex! You don’t have to write a sex scene for two characters to be in an intimate relationship with one another.

As long as the plot isn’t leading up to it or the sex supposedly has a big turning point and yet it never shown, I think you can definitely have a successful romance without even the want of a sex scene from the readers!

I know this is what I was trying to say, but I guess I phrased it weird. That’s why I said if you have sexual tension.

Ah, I didn’t see the “if”, sorry! :blush:

I definitely relate to your frustration, but I think in this instance it’s misplaced. No one’s calling for sex or smut to be removed from everyone else’s work (or all romance or the bonding experience between characters and the writer lol). I know I wouldn’t want that because like I said, I enjoy smut as a reader and have no aversion to sex in my own writing, I just don’t write the do explicitly. But that’s no knock to the people who are “throbbing this and wet that” about it.

People saying they want something different doesn’t mean they’re saying what is already prominent is bad and needs to go away. And doing something different does not require what is already prominent to cease. I know that some people will blatantly disagree with those sentiments and say as much, which is maybe where your aggravation is coming from (I’ve had rants like yours plenty of times when I’ve come across holier than thou or elitist opinions like that), but it doesn’t seem like that’s what’s being said here. This thread is just about what the OP wants to do with their own work and asking if they have a chance of being successful without doing what the majority does, not judging the majority for doing it.

Very well said! There are other threads where sex has been condemned and I agree with the fact that you have a right to argue on those threads, but this is not one of them! Not one person on here has condemned sex in books or has called for it to be banned or something! :blush:

Ironically, this same poster arguing about censorship and having sex taken away from books is the same one who bashed teens for writing too much sex and smut books in another thread. So I have no idea where he’s coming from.

Lol, it’s his thing. He drags people for things he then defends! I honestly don’t know where he stands on anything anymore, but I kinda don’t care either :joy:

I think he’s defending it because he boasted before about writing a teenage girl as a sex fiend and that being her major character trait and people accused him of sexualizing children’s DJ being a pedophile, so now maybe he’s all “free the taboo on sex”??? Don’t know, honestly. He might be able to shed some light on that if you ask him.

I’m tired of people attacking people for things nobody has even said!

Absolutely write a romance without smut if you’re up for it. If you’re worried about a lack of reads, lemme just tell from my own experience that if it’s well-written and gets the readers emotionally, people will read it regardless. I personally prefer my romance without the adult content and I guarantee you there are many others who feel the same. Younger Me browsing story archives for the first time and being confused by the amount of smut would probably have sold her soul for you. Current Me (who refuses to write smut on principle to this day) is still grateful. Go for it and go wild!

Yes! If you deliver on the emotional level then nobody - even the smut enthusiasts - will probably be missing the sex if they’re into a good romance! Romance is all about the connection between two characters. Sometimes it’s deepened through sex, sometimes it’s depended through other things! Sex isn’t necessary for a good romance. It can be used, if course, but it’s not s necessity! Completely agree :blush:

I reread my own comment to ensure I did not mistype, so, I don’t understand the question. Be fine was quite clear I thought.

Hi! It’s more about what I want to write; I have no problem with what anyone else wants to write. I was just making sure there was some audience out there for romance minus the sex…or did you not read the title?

• Mo

Thank you to everyone for your help and information. I appreciate y’all taking the time to answer my questions!

No problem. Hope you could use it :smile: