Scrivener: Who here uses it?

Who here uses Scrivener and how do you feel it is helping you or hindering?

I use it and though there is a long learning path to use it fully still ahead I do like how it helps with the work flow. Work flow, what a word to use when writing. But the whole idea of cutting up a huge project, like writing a story, into smaller bits makes it much easier to manage.

Not to mention that I find the in build compile function pretty darn useful, even able to format out an epub or mobi for my ebook reader. So that I have a personal copy always with me.

My tips, F11, once you open a new file, and get to writing press F11. This opens a semi full screen page and you can just write without caring about anything else, all the functionality is pushed to the back and is out of reach. All you do is write. And another press on F11 or ESC and you are back in management mode.

Another tip. Tagging, keywords, either by giving colors, using the icons you can tag your sub files. And of course keywords. For instance characters, create a tag for a character then in every scene they are part of just open the keywords screen and drag them into the little Info Pane at the side [the blue I]

So how many here use Scrivener?

Me! I love it.

3 Likes

I like it. And it’s certainly no more hindering than Word. If you do multiple interspersed, non-chronological narratives like I do, it helps greatly. You can just shift the scenes and chapters about however you like.

3 Likes

I love it. My favorite feature by far is the file sync feature with an external folder. I can write at home, sync, open up the chapter as a text file on my phone or tablet, keep working at it, then save and sync again when I get home. Oh, and Dropbox sits in the middle.

2 Likes

I use it as well! I’m still on the trial period, but I’m completely sold. I love that I have every piece of my story in one place: character sheets, chapters, research files, everything is in its own folder. It’s so handy! Scrivener also helps me see the bigger picture of my plot. I’d recommend it to everyone :lumi:

In case anyone’s on the fence about trying it, there’s a 30-day free trial available if you want to check it out. 30 non-consecutive days! Why do I feel like I’m a Scrivener salesman…

3 Likes

Puts on Salesmen Hat*

After NaNoWriMo’s it tend to be even cheaper to buy. That his how I got it a bit cheaper. And still use it. Not to mention, one license… multiple locations :wink:

• : I am not connected to Scrivener, just a user, it is just a joke.
1 Like

I can confirm this with a screenshot.

Damnit. 50% off sounds good. Now, I’m tempted to get it. :thinking:

3 Likes

Congrats on winning, trust us, it is worth the money.

Do notice: It does requires things different then just writing a word document. But once you made that switch you don’t want to go back.

1 Like

Psh. I haven’t won yet. I have 686 words left for the month. :rofl:

Thanks, though.

Yeah, I use a lot of self-made planning documents in google drive and it is a huge mess.

Like… 14k words of planning for an 80k novel.

I’m definitely thinking of trying out the trial for my next novel.

2 Likes

I love Scrivener. I use the corkboard for the chapter summaries with all the points I want to cover (clues, red herrings, romance elements etc), I have keywords, I capture the status, I use the colour codes. And of course the compile function. Setting up a novel also is great, you can break it down in scenes - it’s so versatile and really helpful. I got it as a birthday present together with Scrivener for dummies but there is so much information in there…

3 Likes

I downloaded the free trial and damn, I love how organized everything is. :heart_eyes:

It’s all right within reach instead of me having, like, 20+ tabs open as usual.

4 Likes

I love Scrivener, I was bought it by a novelist that I really respect for my birthday a few years ago and it took me a little while to get into it but I’ve never gone back! I just really enjoy breaking everything up and seeing the structure come together, plus the happy little green bar on the targets tab motivates me so much to keep writing every day.

2 Likes

I like the way it helps you to write a book in scenes. And see things from such a viewpoint.
One big word document makes editing scenes a hell. But editing a scene in Scrivener is just opening the program and within a minute you are editing the very specific scene.

Also tagging, Oh yes, tagging, create a tag for a character… then tag every scene they are in. Awesome!

Tagging, Colors, Synopsis, so many ways to keep track of things in Scrivener.

There is one thing it doesn’t do for you, write :slight_smile: That you still have to do, but once you set up your project it makes everything so smooth.

2 Likes

I love scrivener. I write novels out of order, so it makes that a breeze. I can have my regular compilation of chapters and a section full of random scenes that I can move around as I need them.

2 Likes

LOVE IT! LOVE IT, LOOOOVE IT! There’s no way I could be writing by current WIP without it.

Although, I only use it for brainstorming, research and pre-writing…mostly because I’m on Windows and my compile function is terribly messed up.

My favorite features are the Notecards and the Collections because I use them to make storyboards. And then you can display them as you sketch out the scene.

I’d taken screenshots of my various setups for a friend I was trying to convince to give Scrivener a try, but he was just too set in his ways. He’s doing it all in Microsoft Word! Crazy!!!

Hope it’s okay to share if anyone’s on the fence. And I’d love to see some of y’all’s setups!

Scrivener%20-%20WIP_600x322

Scrivener%20-%20PG%20Story%20Setup%20-%202_600x318

2 Likes

I love this so much! You’ve inspired me to be way more creative with how I lay out my work and now I cannot wait to be more experimental. Thank you :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve been using it for years and it’s been so helpful keeping my stories/chapters in order. I love how you can find everything in one place instead of needing to open several documents and it doesn’t lag like Google Docs once your document gets too long for it to process. Not to mention the divided screen option is a godsend when it comes to editing and looking for info without wanting to switch to a different window.

1 Like

@Nevervane - Oh, wonderful! I’m glad it helped! :grin:

The best thing is to start out simply and as you become more comfortable with the software, figure out what features work for you. You don’t have to use everything, so yeah definitely experiment. And get a BIG monitor if you can!

There are also some good tutorials on YouTube and the internet. They were really helpful as far as figuring out different configurations! Happy writing!!

I DO!
It’s a blessing, I swear. And I only have the trial :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh man, Scrivener. What a godsend! It was easy to learn, easy to install, and I’m so very happy that I got it. I purchased it after my 50% discount code ran out. Initially, I had it downloaded illegally on an older version, but after a week or so, I realised damn, this is something I’ll use forever, and purchased it, full price, on Windows and iPhone/iPad.
I think my favorite feature is hands down the seamless syncing between devices. I can write wherever I am, and I have three laptops, so it’s ridiculously helpful to be able to edit without having to manually copy and transfer my files. The fact that I can create my proof files for betareaders without having to use Vellum or Calibre is also incredible, and really makes the product worth it. Scrivener has paid for itself tenfold with how it upped my writing speed, and how I went from writing a book ONCE A YEAR to once every TWO WEEKS. Scrivener also helped me to streamline my writing process. I never used to plan, and my old method worked wonders but it took ages to write, so when I got Scrivener, I was able to set up my scenes etc and that was incredible.
Tbh I think Scrivener is a tool that every serious writer needs in their arsenal. Another great feature is how my editor also uses Scrivener, and can look through my Scrivener files for remote checks before we collaborate via Microsoft Word. I don’t think I’ll ever go back, I adore it. <3

Edit to also add: When my editor looks through the Scrivener files, she can also see the character files, location references and maps, as well as anything else that could be visually important. IT helps her learn what I had in mind in the case that my writing didn’t really get across my point well, and that is something else that means the near $100 I spent paid off.

2 Likes