Secrets to story success on Wattpad

ah, alright, thanks for the clarification. your addendum seemed more like a disagreement at first, lmao

A quick question?

Since Wattpad is a mobile story device.

Do you think short chapters is better?
Or how many word counts fits best for reading when it comes to your story to publish on live?

Usually, the 1.5 to 2.5 K per instalment is considered a webnovel’s sweet spot (preferably ending in a cliffhanger) with short paragraphs and text that is less dense.

So…1,500 or 2,500 is a better word count?

I usually thought that 500-1,000 is better? Is that acceptable?

There is no specific answer to it. I’ve been on Wattpad for more than four years and all I know is you’ve to use Wattpad almost everyday. Post a chapter once a week. Respond to all the comments. Post on your wall for any announcement. Wattpad will automatically pick your story as per your involvement. The more time you invest, the better the results are. It takes time and lots of patience but bear with it. There are 500 million stories. Being picked by Wattpad is like needle in a haystack. Just a little more luck and patience and hard work, you’ll get more readers.
Plus there are groups on Facebook of Wattpad. Post about your story there. There are conversations here on this forum, all genre based. Post about your story there as well. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Gotcha.

This makes sense.

I just stick with conventional wisdom and try to be around 1.5-2K. I guess for some stories 500 words might work, maybe like teens trading flush fictions? Who knows, digital media evolves.

Oh, I see.

I find this very tricky at times.
But from what I think that shorter chapters are best since this is from the mobile device and most people are teens and young adults who uses it more than adults does. (I am not sure if I am 100% correct from what I have predicted).

I guess we just go with whatever we are comfortable with then. There is true answer to it after all like what @SamreenAhsan have said from the post. If I am correct.

Agree with the view that short chapters work best on Wattpad. Like many aspects of writing, it’s about knowing your readers. Intuitively, one would guess that the younger your target audience age range, the shorter the chapters should be.

Also, what is your target reader’s lifestyle likely to be? Are they the kind who’ll curl up by the fire with a hot drink and happily plow through 50 pages without a bathroom break? Okay, adult reader, likely mature. If that’s your target audience, you’re probably fine with chunky 6k chapters. Multitasking YA reader? Probably less patient, needs more natural opportunities to bookmark the story and set it aside.

Here’s a Reedsy article that lists chapter lengths of 30 or 40 well-known books in a table (about the middle of the article): https://blog.reedsy.com/how-long-should-a-chapter-be/

Notice: mostly older, literary books for mature readers at the ‘big chapter’ end of the scale, books for YA and MG readers at the ‘small chapter’ end. But there are standout exceptions: e.g. J.K. Rowling with 4500 word chapters in her first MG, and Twilight.

Hello there!

Asking people to read your story is considered advertising even if no links are provided and only allowed in the official pinned #share-your-story threads. If you need feedback for your story, you can find people who offer those in #story-services:critiques-and-feedback club :blush: I am going to remove your post.

Thank you for understanding!

Z

Community Ambassador

This is fantastic. Thank you!

For me its too short.

500-1000 words is only one scene minus the showing of the surrounding