Self publishing

So, i’m thinking of self-publishing some of my work but i don’t know whether i should use amazon, smashwords, or look into another place to self-publish. i looked into self-publishing with amazon and found something called Book Baby’s Amazon Priority service.
I was wondering if anyone has used this service, or a similar one.

Personally something feel off about it. Is there a specific person attached to it, or is it just one of those services that shot up in your inbox? Bayesian tests fails some forms of spam.

I’m not to keen on Smashwords or Amazon. (It’s why I do youtube these days.)

I might be stupid, but what does YouTube have to with Amazon and publishing? Facepalm if it’s just not me understanding :slight_smile:

@KelseyCadle This question might get more answers in the industry insider club. You should have the option to move it over to those threads. :slight_smile:

Ah I do mainly audiobooks these days when I get around to actually publishing it usually.

1 Like

Okay. I was bit confused because I wasn’t sure what you meant. Thanks!

1 Like

Hey there,

This thread will do better in the Industry Insider section of the forums, so I’ve moved it there.

Nicole - Community Ambassador

Ingram Spark is another one to consider! It’s the one I’ll be primarily using when I self-publish. They offer wide distribution and a lot more options–like hardcover novels, for example. Amazon is a great one too. I’ve never heard of BookBaby, but I managed to find their site.

Edit: Also, smashwords doesn’t seem worth it to be when there are already better companies to go with.

You’d be crazy not to put it on Amazon’s KDP. They have at least 80% of the market share.

But you don’t have to be exclusive to Amazon. You can put your novels there AND other places.

I’m exclusive to Amazon and have no idea what Book Baby’s Amazon Priority service is. My guess it’s someone trying to cheat you.

1 Like

https://www.bookbaby.com/amazon-kdp-select/

It doesn’t look like a cheat, exactly, but nor does it look like something you couldn’t do for yourself if you knew what you were doing. Basically they put your book into KDP Select for 90 days, then pull it out of Select (leaving it on Amazon) and submit it to the other major ebook retailers.

Unless I’m mistaken, Bookbaby is a separate printing/publishing company from Amazon, but they have a partnership with Amazon, as well as some other ebook and print book distribution sites. You pay for whatever service you need for your book and which they can offer, including editing/proofreading, printing and marketing/distribution.

I personally haven’t availed of their services, because I had no money when I first started self-publishing. I decided to publish directly to Amazon instead. Smashwords is okay too, but most of the readers there generally prefer free books when it comes to newer/indie authors…

When you self publish, YOU are the publisher. You don’t have to go through another company to publish, though you should work with professional editors and cover designers to help you put out a professional product.

Amazon, APple, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, and Draft2Digital are DISTRIBUTORS. Just like you may find the same shirt at several different retailers, so you might place your book with several different distributors.

Smashwords and Draft2Digital are aggregators. They not only post on their own site, but they also post to other retailers – however they will get a tiny piece of the action for every copy you sell from those other retailers. You can, theoretically, have Smashwords or D2D post your manuscript to the big three, but I strongly recommend you put your book on Amazon, Apple, and B&N yourself. Especially Amazon. Too many sales come from them to reduce your royalties by having a middleman.

Ingram is also a distributor – but they make paper books available to bookstores. Listing with Ingram does NOT mean your book will be ordered by a bookstore and put on the shelves. It just means that if someone asks that bookstore to order your book for them, they can.

3 Likes

My information may be old, but Amazon didn’t accept submissions from Smashwords. Smashwords said they did, but Amazon didn’t accept it.

1 Like

My recommendations:

• Upload your book directly to Amazon’s through KDP - don’t use any sort of aggregator or distributor do it direct because you want (a) full control and (b) track sales
  • When it comes to the non-Amazon sites (assuming you are going to “Go Wide” rather than enroll in the Select proram, I think it’s worth using either Smashwords or Draft2Digital for getting on places like Nook, Kobo, ibooks, GooglePlay etc. That said, I would not use Smashwords “meatgrinder” which takes a word file and creates .pdf, .epub, and .mobi. Instead I would upload the a .epub file for them.

As for BookBably, The’ve been around for a long time but I’ve never heard of their “Priority Amazon service” - As I said when it comes to Amazon you ALWAYS want to be direct so I wouldn’t use BB’s services for that.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I only took a quick look - but it looks like they are trying to do both Select AND other distributors? That makes no sense Amazon REQUIRES exclusivity, so when they find your books on other sites (which they will because of bots) you’ll be kicked out of Select - or so I would think.

Not at the same time. What I read is “Debut your eBook through Amazon” “for the first 90-days.” Then (after the 90 days) “Sell around the globe.” “Once you opt-out of KDP Select on Amazon, you can easily make your eBook available for sale worldwide with BookBaby global distribution.”

Ah, I get it now. Like I said, i only took a quick peek. Given that I"m not sure why you wouldn’t just do that without BB using KDP directly and an aggregator.

Because that wouldn’t make any money for Book Baby. :wink:

1 Like

LOL

But, seriously, for the same reason you would use an aggregator rather than go to each distributer by yourself — laziness. Oops, convenience.

1 Like

I use aggregators for exactly that reason – both actually. And I recommend others do as well, but AMAZON should be direct (for many reasons). (a) most of the revnue (b) access to reporting © If Amazon has a beef with the aggregator your books don’t get caught in a tug of war.

I lived through the Amazon/Hachette kurflufflel, and my sales suffered because of the “not in stock” designation. I also remember the time that Amazon removed all IPG’s ebooks when contract negotiations broke down - OUCH! For those and other reasons it’s EXTREMELY important not to have anyone between you an the “Zon”

1 Like

You can pretty much self-publish for free on any of those sites. You just upload your book cover of choice, the master file, select either print or ebook option and fill it out the necessary “paperwork” and in about–I guess–a day…?

Your book gets published.

But I did have a Twitter contact have some problems publishing on of her latest novels (in a series) because of copyright issues. Something about the book’s title threw the sniffers on Amazon for a loop–because they thought it was either the same novel that was recently published under a different author or the book title shared some striking similarities.

But…after a couple of days, she managed to get it published on Amazon.

1 Like