Share a Description of Scenery

Post a paragraph or two from your story that shows off the scenery or setting descriptions! I’m curious to see everyone’s different styles and worldbuilds.

(Just remember, per the forum rules, please don’t post a link to your story and no mature content) :green_heart:

3 Likes

"My eyes dart to examine the place. It’s beyond beautiful, almost heavenly. A magnificent tall tree stands in the middle, cornered by a glittering lake on which millions of lotus flowers float freely. Nothing seemed real, from the way it emitted a powerful glow to the way it instantly made all my worries disappear.

Suddenly ,I start feeling very tired as the sweet wind caresses my skin . I lay down on the grass, It’s so tender. Sensing the tickling texture of it on my face, I smile. A great feeling of peace fills me as my eyelids get heavier by the second."

7 Likes

I don’t really know if its good, it’s my first book to be honest I’m new here lol

2 Likes

“It’s exactly how they left it.
A beautifully dilapidated, worn out house. It stares at me with beady eyes, as if it’s cursing at me for letting it deteriorate.
I kick a loose plank.
Vines cling to the brick like a scared child. The house is tattered, most likely because of the amount of years it’s been since human life has stepped foot on the property. But I’ll continue pretending it’s wear and tear from the island storms.
The paneling on the house hangs low, crumbling, and everything needs a paint job. Even though it isn’t up-to-par like it used to be, staring into the windows is like staring at a ghost. Hauntingly captivating. I get closer — hoping that if I stare long enough, I’ll see memories from years prior come to life right before my eyes.”

This is something I’ve been working on for a while off wattpad:) Hopefully Ill get to post it in the future.

7 Likes

This is so beautiful and peaceful! Like the rest of the world just floats away. :green_heart:

2 Likes

aww thank you so much :heart::heart:

1 Like

As I sit here rewriting my first draft at an antique school desk up in my writing space attic, I can’t help but be distracted by what’s outside my window. A breeze blows the magnolia leaves, and white flowers bloom strategically on the branches. Once in a while I’ll see doves and hear them coo in their nest. Cars pass on the road below, none of them knowing that a writer tells a story in the house on main street.

4 Likes

Intriguing. Reminds me of hurricanes.

1 Like

“November’s chill swept into the corridor as we were called inside by a dulcet string quartet, the white marble walls lined with gold unable to shield all guests from the crisp sea air that drifted in through the balconies. Derek and I walked side by side as the other guests dispersed, being the only ones left astounded by the image of broken shards that darted throughout the room, dancing over my exposed collarbone and face. I looked up, finding sudden warmth at the gold and crystal chandelier that twisted down towards the dancefloor like a wild but ancient willow. Every guest sparkled in their own way, the light making their endless gems and jewels wink in a sultry but sophisticated manner.”

6 Likes

This is such a personification of neglect, but in a sad and curious way. :green_heart:

1 Like

I love the last line in particular. It’s such a poetic way of looking at something so derelict

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your kind words!! :heart:

4 Likes

Alchemy had never been to Janqovth, but he knew it wasn’t supposed to look like this. It was an odd blend of meadow and desert. Mounds of sand and cacti of various shapes and sizes dotted the fields of scorched grass. Tumbleweeds poked up throughout the landscape, tangled up with the brown, shriveled remains of wildflowers that didn’t belong in the desert. There used to be trees. What remained of them were brittle, bleached white trunks, as if they’d died off a long time ago. Oddly, contradicting that assumption, a few dead leaves still dangled from their branches. A few brightly-colored butterflies fluttered curiously around a squat barrel cactus. The whole scene looked as though the multi-terrain arena had malfunctioned.

4 Likes

It is quite nice. Feels a bit like stream of consciousness.

1 Like

I love this. Reads like a vignette.

1 Like

This is quite intriguing.

1 Like

Oh, this is a very cool description, both the your writing style and the landscape itself, which sounds really unique. Is there a magical explanation for its state?

1 Like

I’ll dump mine here. It’s great to read extracts of other fantasy worlds and get glimpse of different styles.

To be clear, I didn’t live in the castle. That was one of my predecessors, the first witch of the forest. She was long gone, succumbing to the fate of all those witless enough to believe their own legend, and her castle, a monument to the scale and scope of her power, now crumbled in ruins — albeit ruins that still retained their ability to strike awe into young noblemen viewing them drenched in moonlight. The keep appeared almost intact from this distance, a stark and brutal construction, twice as tall as it was wide and adorned with a crenellated crown. Two concentric walls had once guarded its base, the remains of which protruded from the ground like broken teeth. Faced with this stony interloper, the trees didn’t so much part but thin, soldiering through the obstructions with the slow inevitability that characterises all wars between rocks and plants. The trees would reclaim all in the end, but for now they’d been forced to settle for a long occupation.

4 Likes

Thank you. I have been told this before, that my writing plays like a movie. I’ve considered doing screenplay, but haven’t taken the dive yet. :heart: This isn’t a story, I literally just wrote on the fly of my writing space and what I see outside my window. :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile: Yes, there is. This is right before a big fight with the antagonist, who has desert magic. His powers have been enhanced so much, any area he stays in for a while turns to desert.

1 Like