Share Your Dark Romance/Historical Romance

I would be going on and off of Wattpad for a while because of exams, so once in a while to relieve stress, I would love to delve into intriguing well-written stories offline. I specifically want dark (be it light dark or dark dark) romance, mature romance, and historical romance]. Ones that I would not have to pause every five seconds to correct an error and just enjoy the story without feeling the need to offer any improvement advice (feedback/critique).

This is not a read for read, I just want to relax people. I don’t read LGBT+ too so please be aware.

Don’t forget the links!

1 Like

Hi! :smiley:

This is my book, it’s a romance, it has steamy moments, and it’s a love triangle of sorts, so people are getting hurt, and things become darker from time to time. It’s not properly a dark romance, but it is far from light hearted. I’m not going to spoil the whole thing, but yeah, it will get gut wrenching.

Covers%20small%203

Andy is a nerdy young woman, with a great talent for coding. Moving to Seattle for her dream job makes her start a new chapter of her life.

Oliver, her new colleague is the embodiment of everything she’s ever wanted in a man. However, her affection for Oli is tainted by the overwhelming attraction she feels for her new boss, the cold and seemingly arrogant Alexander.

While trying to have a successful career, she battles with her inner desires, and does her best to face a romantic situation that is new to her.

LINK HERE

@LittleMinx94 @Lailaliliana Get in there with your dark af romances…

4 Likes

Hello, hello :wave:t3: Not historical, but dark and mature…

@DarlaCassic :kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

image (https://www.wattpad.com/story/138625206-nefarious-the-victim-1)

Title: Nefarious: The Victim (book 1 of 3)

Excerpt: "Being in the Mafia was a rough life but there was an up side to it all. It felt like the whole world was afraid of what their own inescapable demise would be, whether it be cancer or a car accident or a house fire. But not me. I knew what was waiting for me in the end. My lifestyle took the surprise out of death. I might not know who would deal the final blow or the means with which they would do it, but I knew the family business would be the death of me.

I just hoped it wouldn’t be the death of her too."

Summary: Tommy Costello is next in line to lead the notorious Costello crime family. He is intimidating, ruthless, perfect for the job - not to mention he’s engaged to the daughter of an equally dangerous mob boss. But when he finds out a secret about Saige Davenport, the beautiful girl who lives next door, his already tumultuous world is turned upside down as he tries to save her from the darkness of her own world and in turn, thrusts her into the darkness of his.

CONTENT WARNING: This book contains mature language, sexual content, and graphic violence

3 Likes

Hey @BlackKnight77!

I have two stories you might hopefully enjoy - the first is a mature romance (completed), the second is a dark/gothic romance (ongoing).

Hope you like either if you choose to check them out :blush:

ALL by Lucille Dixon
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/173304181-all

cover%20option%202%20with%20guitar

:1st_place_medal: FIRST PLACE WINNER of the Red Rose Romance Awards 2019 :1st_place_medal:
:2nd_place_medal: SECOND PLACE WINNER (ROMANCE) - Majestic Inc Universal Awards 2019 :2nd_place_medal:

All [adverb]; completely, without exception.

When 18-year-old singer Abi meets blunt-yet-beautiful guitarist, Noah, at music university in London, she soon discovers the tattoos on his skin are covering up a colourful past. Battling with her own inhibitions and a deep-rooted distrust of men, Abi is quick to realise Noah is hiding the whole truth. What she doesn’t know is that he only wants to protect her from the heartbreaking reality of who he once was.

Thrown head-first into Noah’s world of secrets, passion and excitement, Abi soon starts to shed her innocence in order to experience things she’s never even allowed herself to dream about. However, as their relationship grows deeper and more intimate by the day, it seems as though Abi has been the one teaching Noah something all along. How to love.

When the fickle hand of fame comes knocking, the walls slowly start to crumble and Noah’s secrets can no longer be contained. With the shocking truth finally revealed, will Abi and Noah ever truly be able to give each other their all?

[[WARNING: CONTAINS SEXUAL CONTENT & SWEARING]]

ETERNAL ORCHIDS by Lucille Dixon
Link: [https://www.wattpad.com/story/179210612-eternal-orchids ]

The flowers are always in bloom at Edenhall Park…

When a beautiful but mysterious stranger offers nineteen-year-old Evelyn a fresh start, away from the tough life she’s been living on the streets, she jumps at the chance.

However, after arriving at the seemingly-magical Edenhall Park - an ancient, grand house where the young, beautiful and celebrated seem to live wild and free - Evelyn soon begins to realise things are not quite as they seem.

As Evelyn’s heart starts to fill with love and desire, it soon learns to ignore what her head is telling her and simply allow the beauty of Edenhall Park and all those who live there to consume her every fibre.

Can love really allow people to stay young and beautiful forever? Within the walls of Edenhall Park, it would appear so…

[[CONTAINS NO MATURE CONTENT]]

1 Like

@Lucille_Dixon @DarlaCassic @LailaLiliana Thanks guys😉

3 Likes

While recording his debut album in Arizona’s Paradise Valley for the summer, upcoming musician Adriel Cross finds himself falling in love with the wife of established actor Dominique Vega: Evangelina Lamontagne, America’s most coveted model. What starts as a one night stand turns into a dangerous affair when Evangelina is hired as an actress on the set of Adriel’s latest music video shoot. As the affair continues, so do the flashes of the paparazzi cameras, causing Dominique to act on his suspicions in the worst ways imaginable.

Link to story: https://my.w.tt/2m5YqJ2NPY

Thank you for reading. Enjoy.

1 Like

3jH5lUQ_d

Shorter chapters so don’t let the amount of chapters keep you from starting this story.

Follow Eloise in this story as she grows from a hard working tomboy to a WWI veteran nurse, widow, and mother.

The year is 1913 in Montana where Eloise travels from one ranch to another as her abusive and alcoholic father loses one job after another as a ranch hand.

She is easily mistaken as a young boy in her dirty hand me down clothes but what’s under those baggy clothes and newspaper boy cap? A beautiful blond young woman with a brilliant mind and a drive to become independent of any man’s control.

Leo Standish is back home on his father’s ranch after his passing. He is bitter and hates being on the ranch. His fathers will stipulated that he must remain on the ranch for some time before he receives his inheritance and can sell the ranch and return to the city.

As a young attorney, he longs for the high-class status he held in Boston until the day he finds the most beautiful woman on the planet and for the first time in his life he does not get what he wants because this woman refuses to be the woman he needs. He learns about true love and the feeling of loss as he must put her on a train to go chase her own dreams.

The first portion of the story will be read in third person just to give you the history behind the girl Leo ends up chasing. The last portion is back to my screenplay version. This story will be published in two parts but it will be the same book.

Link

Hs5BaW1_d

We know a lot about the American Civil War. We know about the battle at Gettysburg and how Sherman burned Atlanta but do you know many individual stories?

Follow Oliver and Naomi from their arranged marriage through the war. It will be quite a journey as Naomi faces the war home alone and Oliver fights battle after battle. She will face one of the cruelest band of the southern militia army as she tries to protect the people she loves most.

This is a story about the ones left home during the war. The one’s who earned no great merit or place in history. The forgotten heroes of a bloody war that stood for freedom and equality for all Americans.

I based some of facts in the story on writings left behind by my family that lived here in Indiana in the 1860s.

My ancestors were Quaker and they were abolitionists in Indiana. We still have their homes used in the underground railroad in our family. My other side was endangered servants from Ireland and my great-great-grandfather was, unfortunately, one of the soldiers that came to Indiana while serving under John Hunt Morgan. He was the rest of my family’s enemy.

Please keep in mind this story is based in America during the 1860s and it was a different time.

Link

1 Like

Hi there @BlackKnight77.
I got a historical mature romance. It even did win this year’s Watty.
But it is in German. I know the chance you will be able to read a German novel are fairly low. But maybe we are both lucky today. :grin:
Die Tochter des Brauers

1 Like

I have two dark romance stories. The first one is ongoing and the second is finished but in the process of editing. I hope I’ll edit the whole thing soon, I have only a few chapters left to edit xD

YOU DON’T HAVE TO READ THE FIRST BOOK TO UNDERSTAND THIS ONE… But the third connects them two, so it’s up to you.

A Puzzle of Trust and Lies (Wolf Secrets book 2)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/195725923-a-puzzle-of-trust-and-lies-wolf-secrets-book-2

For years Jared thought that his relationship with his high school crush is nothing, but casual meet-ups and secret nights, spent together. Until the moment he realizes his feeling will not be returned, no matter how much he tries. He can’t bear her two-faced attitude, public rejections and sour words.
Deciding to leave his miserable life behind and start anew, Jared is violently pulled back into Amely’s dirty game. She is capable of things he has never even expected. And she’s not letting him go.
Amely is much more than Jared has ever thought. She’s cunning and clever, so much more hiding under her beautiful shell. And she’s not human. Just like their infant child that Jared never thought existed.
Now, a war is brewing, threatening to destroy everything as they know it. Their enemies are closer than ever and their plans are much more dangerous than anyone has ever thought.

WARNING: This story contains matures topics such as sexual references and violence.

Updates: twice a week.

Title: The stalker’s obsession
Genre: Romance, dark romance, thriller

Natalie Harper has spent the last several years of her life in fear. She hides a dark secret; a grim past that keeps following her even to this day. There’s a monster that’s chasing after her and ruining her every chance of happiness - her stalker.
When a new transfer student befriends her and claims he wants to help, Natalie is
torn between running or accepting his help. Will she be able to overcome her fears and learn to live once again or will she drown even further into her misery? And what if her new friend has a few too many secrets of his own?

https://www.wattpad.com/story/176139416-the-stalker’s-obsession

1 Like

Look no further, friend, as I have just what you need! These (questionable) romances get all shades of dark, steamy, witty, mature and 99% error-free. They do contain LGBTQ characters, though, in major supporting roles (not the main couples). See if you might enjoy any of these:

in which her heart is thawing
ingrid’s best friend happens to be a bartender she occasionally sleeps with - which says a lot about how and where she likes to spend her time - who once described her as having “a conscience but not a heart.”

that’s something she has to come to terms with, after she learns about the damage she’s inflicted on a former lover who’d been nothing but good to her. because now she’s got new prey in her clutches and she promised to let it go before she breaks it.

tough part is, the wishful-thinking fool would rather be eaten alive…and she has to figure out how to let him down slowly enough for the fall not to kill him.

new adult - not rated mature

Whiskey Latte (completed)
novella

in which she unearths her demons
alcohol and caffeine is what it takes to live the big city life…and ingrid needs it now more than ever.

an important promotion takes her from the relative safety of the home she had built in berlin, back to london where her past lies in wait. she spirals out of control when it all becomes too much, but she powers through, broken, her pieces barely held in place by the same old destructive habits.

one thing keeps her going, though: her long-lost friends, who welcome her back in their midst - and ingrid nearly throws her career under the bus to rescue one of them from a fate that, once upon a time, could have been her own…

(direct sequel to “Whiskey Latte” but it stands well enough on its own)

adult - rated mature

Vodka Espresso (completed novel)
vodkaespresso

in which her american dream dies
Once upon a time, Ingrid had made an attempt at settling down in New York, after years of being on the run from herself. Except her American Dream turned into her worst nightmare and she hit the road again.

Now, brave and bold, with a successful career at her back and a good man by her side, Ingrid dares to return to the shipwreck she abandoned. Vengeful ghosts await her and it’s her friends who keep her sane - new ones that she takes under her wing and old ones who come to her rescue in the nick of time.

And something…else. Something dangerously close to love. Something Ingrid can’t trust herself with as the concrete jungle threatens to swallow her up. Does she even deserve to survive the demons she’s come to chase?

(direct sequel to Whiskey Latte and Vodka Espresso but also works standalone; completed offline, weekend updates)

adult - rated mature

Tequila Americano (ongoing novel)
tequila%20novel

Warning: this story deals with suicidal thoughts & themes, including a suicide attempt

Jude and Ingrid come from very different places, down very different roads - though sooner or later, all roads lead to Rome, don’t they? In this case, Rome is both of them broken in Berlin, struggling to make sense of their scattered pieces.

They save each other, but on people like them, salvation is wasted, really. And so are they. Wasted, that is.

Wasted (completed short story)

Wasted%20TV%20Tower2

“experiment”: a course of action tentatively adopted without being sure of the outcome.

an experiment is what ingrid embarked on in london when she spilled her vanilla cappuccino all over craig’s crisp white shirt. he’s good, easy fun - makes her laugh and buys her dinner. but what happens when nice-guy craig asks more of bad-girl ingrid than the semblance of carefree commitment she manages to muster in his presence?

will she run for the hills and leave him heartbroken in her wake…or will she continue the experiment until a less hazardous outcome naturally occurs?

experiment (completed novella)
experiment

3 Likes

Here’s a really good historical romance/ fanfic:

The night before an uprising; a young radical student confesses his love to his sweetheart. His name was Enjolras and her name was Marie. They knew they would love each other forever, but they tried to forget that he might not come back.

1 Like

Here’s mine. It’s a recently completed romance with fantasy and supernatural elements. Also, it’s inspired by Hades and Persephone. I hope you enjoy. Be sure to stop by and drop some comments in the story and let me know your thoughts!

Title: Blood of Darkness
Genre: Romance
Completed: Yes

Summary: Inspired by Hades and Persephone

“Sometimes death isn’t the end. Sometimes people come back.”

~*~

Selena Silvers is an ordinary girl who loves to paint. She goes to school and works at a bookshop in Blackfell. Pretty ordinary. Except for two tiny details. One, she has an extraordinary ability to feel the emotions of those around her. Two, almost every night when she closes her eyes, she sees a gorgeous man with hair as black as night and eyes as gray as the sea after a storm. The problem is that she has no idea who he is or even if he’s real. Will she ever find out? And what other secrets are hiding in the darkness of the night?

~*~

Damien Drake is the eldest of the six Drake siblings and is forced to take the throne after his Father is murdered. Oh and the fun part? He’s a vampire surrounded by all the darkness that comes with being one. Dealing with loss has never been Damien’s strong suit and he’s gotten to a point where he forces himself to bury all of his emotions deep down and builds his walls up so high. Will his siblings or anyone else be able to reach him? And will he ever defeat the person responsible for his Father’s death?

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/191987540-blood-of-darkness

Rated mature due to possible graphic content (it’s due to some violent scenes, I don’t think they’re that graphic, but I’d rather be safe than sorry)

Also Book 2 of this series is currently out and is complete, it’s called Soul of Shadows, but be sure to read Blood of Darkness first!

Book 3 of the series is also out and is also complete, it’s called Heart of Radiance, but be sure to read Blood of Darkness and Soul of Shadows before checking out Heart of Radiance!

1 Like

7E9C6B0C-EE23-4D4F-A316-694BD98CD353%20(1) Celine Tierson is less than pleased when her parents send her younger half-brother Elliot to live with her in the city. With false allegations being flung at her at work and an ongoing crush on one of her co-workers, Celine already has her plate more than full.

When Celine and Elliot move to a mysterious town, they can no longer tell what is real from what is fake. Danger lurks beneath the smiles of the citizens of the town.

But what happens when she is introduced to Elliot’s former tutor Jeffrey? And what happens when the leader of the town presents her with a dangerous offer that she cannot refuse. Will Celine change into a person she no longer recognizes, or will she hold on to her values? https://www.wattpad.com/story/191577701-good-boy-bad-boy

1 Like

Thanks for the tag, babe :kissing_heart:

Dark Romance is my bread and butter so here’s two you might enjoy. @BlackKnight77 They’re both Forbidden romances. Both Mature. Both suspenseful and takes turns you’ll never see coming. :wink:

Acting is Leah Johnson’s escape from a painful reality. Very painful.

Twenty-one-year-old Leah Johnson’s world has become rather isolated since she started dating Zach three years ago. He likes it that way because then the focus is on him, and if her attention to him wavers, his fists are quick to refocus her. Leah hides to survive, hides the bruises and her shame and relishes in those fleeting moments when she’s on stage and deep within the mind of another character. Those are the rare seconds where she feels safe; a feeling that’s become all but foreign to her.

Yet, issues arise when one of her charming co-stars, Kaleb not only has too keen an eye to Leah’s bruises but also stirs something inside of Leah that she had pushed so far down over the years she thought it had disappeared entirely.

Hope for a Zach free future.

But Zach isn’t the type to let go of something that he believes belongs to him. In fact, he’s willing to kill to keep it.

:exclamation:This book contains possibly triggering material such as abuse, violence, and domestic rape. Read at own risk​:exclamation:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/63105812-behind-closed-curtains-desires-of-the-forbidden-✔️

And the second book:

Rules are meant to be broken.

At least that was the motto that Kat Sanders led her life by. She said what she wanted, did what she pleased, and didn’t give a damn who judged her for it. Her home life was unstable ever since her father left and her mother spiraled into a drug induced stupor, leaving Kat with the heavy responsibility of taking care of her younger sister. So, in an ugly turn of events where Kat loses her job, she hurriedly accepts an offer to interview for a job as a nanny. Yet, when Kat meet her new employer, all bets are off. He’s handsome, he’s brooding, and enticingly dangerous with a gun tucked into his side and a badge of honor splayed proudly across his blue uniform. Dominic Reed had everything Kat could ever want in a man.

Everything, aside from a wife.

Will Kat be able to downplay her normal, rebellious attitude and attraction to her married boss, or will forbidden feelings bud and temptation once again claim a victory over Kat and Dominic?

Yet, who can tell where this game of Kat and mouse will lead as Dominic’s lethal job intertwines into Kat’s life in a very real, very dangerous way that will leave them both vulnerable and fated for destruction.

Game on.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/77859786-unlawful-temptations-✔️

3 Likes

Thanks for reaching out like this!

This romance isn’t dark cover to cover. There are hills and valleys, but some of the valleys go pretty damn deep. It’s sort of historical (does 1994 count?). And it’s been heavily vetted for speling and ttypos (see what I did there?).

Hope you give it a shot and enjoy!

newdesign_1_original

In the fall of 1994, Martha Beckett starts her first day in a new high school in a new state. She is terrified and alone until a strange boy introduces himself. James is confident, kind, and in Martha’s opinion, more than a little cute. But something feels off. His attention feels too good to be true. How can she form such an immediate connection with a boy she just met?

Her skepticism proves justified after James confides in her his secret. This was not their first meeting but roughly their 200th due to James’ remarkable condition: after he dies, he is reincarnated as himself to live his life again and again and again…

Retaining all knowledge and skill acquired in his previous lives and with a general understanding of future events, James is effectively superhuman. And while Martha enjoys the inherent perks of associating with such a boy, she comes to learn of the despair and exhaustion underneath it all. With no permanent consequence or hope of release, James struggles to stave off nihilism with Martha his one tether to humanity.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/182931600-for-those-who-don't-believe-in-love-songs

1 Like

@SarahSokol5

2 Likes

Is a dark fantasy romance okay? This is rated mature for violence and sexual assault (i swear it’s not from the male lead). If this sounds okay, here it is. :blush:

Shelling Away

3 Likes

This is a light-dark mature(ish) historical murder mystery/romance, and the sequel will be posting within a couple of weeks as well, which is even dark-darker. :laughing: Hope you decide to check it out.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/170152250-the-perils-of-presumption-conclave-1

2 Likes

Since you’re looking to read offline, here are a few of my favorite paperback books in the Historical Romance genre. They also have supernatural elements. Iron and Smoke is the darkest among these, and Bruce Lee Bond’s work has prostitutes.

" The Broken Coast " by Bruce Lee Bond

" Treasures of the Night " by Bruce Lee Bond

" Girls Gone South " by Bruce Lee Bond

" Iron and Smoke " by Brandon Nolta

Not sure if I’m allowed to post Amazon links here, but that’s where to find them!

1 Like

I think my story fits right up your alley. It’s a mature romance with crude humor, violence, and betrayal. It is ongoing (not sure if that bothers you), but I’m a perfectionist when it comes to my writing, so you won’t find any errors here.

Blurb: Fast women and slow horses will ruin your life. A fact Gabriel ‘Gabe’ Allgood, a notorious philanderer with a gambling problem, knows all too well.

Indebted to the Italian mob for funding his upstart boxing gym in Chicago, Gabe skirts his payment responsibilities under the guise of dating Bianca—the mob bosses’ daughter.

But when he finds himself single and in sore need of quick cash, Gabe takes a bet with his friends; he’s going to prove he can woo an old flame back into his bed. But Harper Hadley isn’t just any old flame, she may just burn his life to the ground.

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/191674960-king-of-hearts

1 Like