Share Your Story slightly pointless??

The thing is, mostly writers are using the forums, so readers may not see the SYS threads. Sure, a writer adding their own story, a writer bored with nothing to read, or a proactive reader here and there might see it, but I feel like it would be better to somehow link directly to SYS from Wattpad. That way, writers can better put themselves out their, and readers can more easily check out the SYS when looking for something other than the same set of recommended books they see all the time. Maybe SYS can even be a tab in “Browse”

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Unfortunately, due to the forums being hosted on a secondary site and not on Wattpad’s server, linking the main site and the SYS threads is really difficult and not something I believe would be feasible.

You are more than welcome to encourage people to join the forums through your messageboard and using Announcements, but linking the two sites together isn’t something that is possible

6 Likes

Oh, that’s a bit disappointing… Anyways, thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

If Wattpad were to ever add a link to the forums where mobile users could see it, I think we’d see more use since most users are on mobile.

6 Likes

As far as I know, they’ve tried to link the two but it isn’t possible and creates problems on the main site

2 Likes

Well I have gotten a fair amount of reads in the two months that I’ve been haunting the SYS boards. Most of my readers are writers. Actually I think all of my readers, or at least the ones that like and comment on my work are all writers in some way. SYS is really helpful because I’m a reader too, and I want to find new reads and at least all the writers I’m friends with on the platform are readers. So I don’t think it’s pointless at all.

5 Likes

Posting a cover and synopsis on the SYS thread isn’t going to get you hundreds of thousands of reads. But it can be a great tool for networking, which will–down the line–help you establish yourself on Wattpad. Look for writers who are working on projects similar to your own or writing genres that you genuinely enjoy reading. Make friends.

10 Likes

Yes! I agree! I’ve brought this up in other threads and I’ve seen, through interactions with readers on wattpad, that they don’t use these threads. They are for writers. I think we should integrate something that lets us communicate with readers.

4 Likes

Or wattpad could design a new feature that encourages interaction between readers and writers onto the main site. Currently, a lot of readers are isolated from the community aspect here on wattpad.

2 Likes

Same here! I think it’s also about how you present yourself in the forums. If you’re just dropping a link now and then, it doesn’t really show readers much about you. Being open and active in things like book clubs can be very helpful. I know it’s helped me improve and make some new friends along the way ^^

2 Likes

I honesty have not seen reads come from the sys. It could be the genre I’m in. I’ve noticed that certain genres have writers genuinely looking to read, and others that just have people looking to share their stories. However, these genres are still far from dead, as many of the wattpad books in them have over 1M views, most of which come from non-writer reads.

3 Likes

Again, I have to say it depends on your genre. Right now there are a lot of genres that do have potential but have few writers working on them.

2 Likes

What book clubs would you recommend?

1 Like

I don’t have specific clubs to recommend since they’re full. But you should definitely browse because there have been an influx of new clubs. Some are catered to specific genres which can be helpful. Especially if you’re picky like me about what you read in return.

Another thing is try out the critiques/feedback and beta reading sections. You’ll find some individuals that are willing to share their thoughts with you for free or at low cost (simply a follow in or addition to reading list in return for service).

1 Like

I don’t think the number of writers in your genre matters. When you’re befriending these people, the idea is that their readers are going to read your work next (and vice versa) because they like that genre. Creating a network like that is the best way to help readers who’d like your work find you in a sea of content. You’re linking up with other writers to create a larger net so you can catch more fish. The reads aren’t going to come directly from the SYS threads–it’s just where you start weaving the net.

5 Likes

I’m wondering though, is it true that the top posts or the first three posts generate the most clicks?

1 Like

The whole point of this thread is that only writers use the threads, which is why someone was saying it’s not a bad thing since writers can be readers, too. That’s fine when thee are tons of writers or people in general who visit the thread, but there are tons of threads with dust bunnies in them.

I get that this thread is about only writers being in the SYS threads. My point is that writers can still use the SYS threads to scope out other writers in their genre in order to NETWORK. Not just read each other’s work. Most of the new readers I get on Wattpad find me through my mutuals, because I have a large circle and we all write similar stuff.

I haven’t checked out the current state of SYS genre threads, but even if you can only find ONE other person writing a book like yours, it’s valuable. Are there particular genres you write in that don’t seem represented in SYS threads?

2 Likes

It really depends as well on which threads you share in. User-created SYS threads are more likely to create readers. I’ve gained amazing readers that way, but I cannot find readers through the genre SYS threads. Most readers of mine come from the user-created SYS threads or just people I’ve interacted with in the forums who liked what I had to say and they looked at my works. I do agree that this idea would help since more writers than readers use the forums but the regular site and app are major readers, but unfortunately, wattpad can’t do that. But you also have to think as well that the site/app have a genre browsing section and the question is how many people actually use that?

I think more people find books through similar books they’ve read and like friends/followers. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

Which works super well when there are six writers in the genre actively primitive, five of with have below 1k reads, and the one successful one being too busy to help.

2 Likes