Shipfics: Angst vs Fluff

question

Alright…regardless of our respective fandoms, I’m sure we have our ships. And when it comes to fics featuring those ships, we may be more drawn to some types than others…

Do like like that guy wrenching angsty journey?

Maybe you like stories so cotton candy fluffy you can melt them in the rain!

Is a bit of tangy citrus more your style?

Or something else entirely!

What’s your kind of shipfic?

• Angst
  • Fluff
  • Citrus
  • Anything
  • Other (please post specifics)

0 voters

edit
For extra clarity, a definition of terms!

Angst: any number of stories involving things like unrequited feelings, triangles, misunderstandings, etc.

Fluff: Pure romantic puff. No real story development required, but it can be used. Just the sweetness of love.

Citrus: Sexually oriented fics. Lemons and limes. Anything requiring a mature label, however explicit.

I don’t read a lot of fanfic anymore, but I’m up for reading almost anything, but mostly angst or fluff. It’s mostly the same with writing too. I think the majority of shipfics I’ve written probably have an almost even amount of fluff and angst, but it depends on the story.

Can I get more of a definition for “citrus”? :joy:

I like stories where the plot / character development comes first, and the ship happens naturally along the way. I’m a sucker for a slow-burn.

That said, I’m not a big fan of all fluff or all angst. A solid mix is best for me. When I write I try to write fluff moments, but it always falls apart for them. The picnic gets rained out, or the cutesy ice skating moment ends in the hospital, etc.

Citrus:
Lemons and limes. Sexual stories. Generally understood to be mature rated if not full out explicit.

Honestly, the only thing I’ll probably ever write for one shots are angst. And read.
I like fluff but angst is such an amazing thing, so much feels >_<

Yesss…the feeeels!!

I love a bit of fluff now and again. I do find that I read more angst, but my heart lies with fluff :joy:

I don’t think it needs to be either or. I like ships that do both. My own writing includes both.

Definitely doesn’t have to be either or. I use both in my pics too…mostly angst, but both are incorporated.

All of the above. I have a love-hate relationship with the agony angst fics put me through. Fluff fics are always wonderful to read, and “citrus” fics are nice, too, whenever I’m in the mood for them (I should have never gotten on Ao3 hahaha I read them way more often now than I used to). A combination of the three is even better; angsty shipfics with a slow burn that builds to fluff and some citrus are my kryptonite.

I only write angst but I love reading fluff :blush:

I read and write a heavy mix of Fluff/Angst, just let the reader think they are safe and rip their hearts out. Or, the other way around, make them afraid but in the end things are going to be ok. I don’t know. Maybe I just like drama.