Should I continue?

I’m not here to advertise my story, I would like to understand the writers mind more. I started writing my first horror story a few months back when I had spare time to burn, now I don’t have so much I have stopped.

I wondered how long a break you have had inbetween writing a single story or did you just stop all together?

1 Like

I’ve taken breaks that are months long but I came back to my story because I genuinely love the idea I’ve come up with. If you love your story then it might be worth it to continue. If you don’t like it that much or as much as you used to, it might not be worth continuing due to a lack of passion and motivation.

1 Like

For me it’s time, when I do get a bit of time on it I do enjoy it. Kept me awake for awhile last night trying to figure out how I leave a certain scene I’m writing at the moment after scaring a dead girl who is a corpse, long story…

1 Like

I agree with @Aeralys

If you like the idea of your story, or think something about it is good… Motivate yourself to continue writing it.

It’s okay to take a break from writing, not every time is writing time, sometimes we do other things.

And i don’t remember how long i take break from writing, sorry about that. I hope you enjoy your writing and i wish you luck in it!

3 Likes

I do but I keep getting other ideas too and other stuff I want to write. But was working away at the time I started, but now I’m not. Might have to put a bit of time to one side to keep it going

3 Likes

Hmm, try to keep writing or write a new story for your other new ideas. It may be easier that way, i usually write a new story if i have another idea what to write.

1 Like

So do you write several stories at once?

Yup, exactly. If i have a new idea what to write, that is.

Man I’m struggling with just one idea. But I do have a few ratting around that keep developing.

If I have more ideas, I usually jot them down on a blank document for later. When I have time or I’ve finally finished my current story, I’ll go back to my list and see what ideas are still intriguing to me. In the past I’ve found that starting to write every idea that interests me can take up a lot of time and my motivation can burn out quickly. That might just be me though…

2 Likes

I need to start doing this

1 Like

Should I assume you didn’t use an outline?

If you were using an outline you can skip a part of the story that your having trouble in and go back to it later.

In my book HIM, I have a dark 100 page chapter that’s in the middle of the book but I couldn’t figure how to write, but because I’d used an outline I’d skipped that part. I didn’t back to that chapter until I was finished with the rest of the book.

As for skipping a book as a whole… not a good idea. The longer your away from the story the farther apart you become, then most likely your never going to get back to the book. There is a reason why it’s suggested that you need to take a few weeks or a few months before you start editing your first draft, because your mind resets.

1 Like

Nope just picked up the iPad and started writing, never done it before, had someone to edit my first chapter, understood what was done and worked out how to write like that. But did try to plan it first just couldn’t get inspired to start writing. Asked Scalzi how he did it and followed his way, it worked, and have a skeleton planned out in my head just not on paper.

1 Like

My longest break to date was about 2 years and I have gone back to it since. Different writing style and ideas has actually changed the story for the better (hopefully?). I am taking a further break whilst I turn my attentions to writing my first horror short also.

1 Like

Good luck with that buddy. 2 years is a long time, don’t think after two years I could pick it up again.

1 Like

Its been a passion project that I have been working on in various forms for over 5 years. So its more of stubborn thing really like “I finish this damn story”.

I understand that. I’ve never written before but felt like it would be fun, gave it a go and now I have a clash in my heard is it worth completing or parking? So I’m 5 chapters in and struggling to find time to carry on, if it’s worth it I will continue.

1 Like

If you are that far in it would seem a shame to park it now? I mean of course I don’t know your situation but I write on the commute to and from work, at home when the kids are in bed etc.

Well when I was traveling for work and staying away I had that time. Now I’m working from home, not so much. But got an hour now so going to get this chapter 5 finished. Just need a editor to work for free

1 Like

I believe most people have such breaks due to life. There is nothing bad in it in terms of what it means for your future. However, an idea should be optimally written while it is hot and fresh.
Having one sitting there for too long can be detrimental for your mood of writing the specific story.
It has happened to me as well, as I took a long break and then the story I badly wanted to continue was a bit foreign and dry to me.
So, of course, it is a lot better to be consistent.

1 Like