Should I just stop trying to get advice?

I just realized, that all through out NaNoWriMo ( I wasn’t really participating, I was only trying to write more in general) I was only constantly re-doing my first three chapters.

So for the past month, I’ve been starting a lot of threads here, made watching videos on writing advice my form of entertainment. going to critique threads, trying to improve the 3 chapters I already published. I’ve gotten at least (keep in mind least) 10 people to review my work in total, from Halloween to now.I’ve been checking my phone all the time, for whether or not I get replied on WP.

While I will say, my chapters and my writing in general have improved vastly; I feel like I’m doing it too much. It’s not that I’m trying to please everyone, I do take criticism my a grain of salt, and I do agree with criticism about 85% of the time. I’ve heard everything like “Don’t try to make your first chapter perfect” and “People’s first work naturally suck the most”. I’ve only been obsessing over the advice to always try to improve.

I feel like I might be afraid looking as much of a beginner as I am. I don’t know, I just feel like crying right now.

Should I just stop all of it, and focus on writing my chapters without trying to get criticism?

I am a big fan of the first draft. I never get advice on anything writing related (almost) during my first draft. It’s just to get the story on the paper. I think, that way, you have a finished product that you can go back to and decide how to tell the story in a better way and improve your craft.

I think you should focus on writing the story.

Write those chapters, @Hola_Soymilk !

9 Likes

Write first, edit later. You can’t really improve if you’re just redoing the first three chapters over and over again.

So finish your first draft and then get a bunch of critics on it.

13 Likes

Feedback’s an important part of the writing process, and will help you improve, as you’ve said you noticed. But it’s also easy to get hung up on it and feel discouraged - I know that’s why I don’t post the first draft of my work for others to read.

I definitely recommend stepping back from asking for general critiques and focusing on writing, if it’s making you feel anxious. Your draft’s not going anywhere once you’re done with it, after all. You can get feedback then.

8 Likes

Short answer: yes, now is the time to stop getting feedback and start writing the rest of the book.

Long answer: obsessing over how good your first chapters are when you haven’t finished the rest of the book is kind of pointless, in my experience. Everything changes so much in revisions, even when you outline like I do. Additionally, at this point, you’ve done all you can to improve those first chapters and in fact may have spent too much time on them. I’ve done the same; all writers have. Just keep writing forward. Try to finish the whole manuscript before going back to edit things. Some people can’t work this way, and that’s okay too :slightly_smiling_face: Everyone has their own process, and it can take years to find your personal best way of working.
As for the fear of the draft looking like an inexperienced writer wrote it, there’s really not much you can do except wait to publish your story until you’ve completed it and done a few revisions. This is a perfectly acceptable way to do it. In fact, it’s the way I like to publish.

Hope this helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I agree with @AWFrasier. Write first and worry about edits later. The reason being is because you’re only editing one part of your story, and by the end of it, those parts might not even be relevant to the novel anymore.

Just write your story, do a round of edits, then start reaching out for advice.<3 It’ll make it so much less stressful and you won’t feel guilty for not having anything finished. (something I am so bad about >.<)

5 Likes

From personal experience. I’ve finally started writing after three years. I’m now consistently writing now. I’m writing this story for me, no one else. I’m only posting it on Wattpad because I feel like it might help someone. It has some themes on mental health, although it’s not the main focus. It’s like a story I’m using to cope with having PTSD, its the main reason I’ve stopped writing but now I’m in a much better mental state as opposed to three years ago.

My advice for you is to if it works best for you to edit the chapter, go ahead and do it. I do it. I edit by using websites to help correct my grammar and proofread it. As long as you push yourself to write the next chapter. Everyone has their own way of writing. I know people will say to write now and worry later about editing.

I have an anxiety disorder so I get overly anxious and it helps me calm down to at least edit it to the best ability at the given moment. Obviously, when I finish I’ll go back and edit.

Write the book you want to read.

5 Likes

You, as I’m sure you know, are your greatest critic. Your inner critic won’t let you move on from the beginning.
I live for the climax and that’s the push I use to move forward. I’ve personally never finished a first draft, but I usually write the climax first and because I know how it goes, I lose steam to write the rest. I’ve found motivation by saving it for last. I won’t let myself write that moment I want so bad until I’ve done the work I’m asking my protagonist to do.

What’s your favorite part to write? This might work for you as well.

2 Likes

Finish the first draft. There are services you can find in the forums where people will review your entire story, so utilize that. As far as the resources you use to improve as a writer, there are probably some good videos/blogs/etc. out there, but I don’t really use that. Instead, read more (for enjoyment). Be a fan of the craft. Read classic books. Read crappy ones (I’m serious :joy:). Sooner or later, you’ll be able to point out the things that make a book exceptional, and you’ll try to emulate those in your writing. You’ll also learn to avoid the things that make a book not so good. Lastly, and this might come a lot later, learn how to use feedback to improve your writing. It’s that last step that takes you from just writing for yourself, to writing to convey a message to someone else.

Edit: Did I just give advice on a thread asking if OP should stop asking for advice? Oops. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but that’s my problem.

I get that. Which is why the sentence ended like this.

It sounded like that you’re recommending me do this, but you don’t follow the advice personally.

@AWFrasier @rosemaryandrue

What if I write the first draft of a good portion of the book, like about 5-10 more chapters; edit those and then get those critiqued?

I don’t want to go too long without posting it.

Write first, edit later.

You can still post without getting critique on it. But seriously, no more editing. You’re going to drive yourself nuts with this.

6 Likes

Post that first draft! Then edit, then get some help from others.

Quoting this for emphasis:

4 Likes

I’ve been there and still have troubles. From that experience I say, yes, stop getting critiques. Stop looking up writing advice, videos or otherwise. Just keep writing or else you might not get past the first few chapters and keep waiting on your phone for critiques.

I know because I’ve done that.

Note: Editing small things now and again is fine, but make sure you’re moving forward.

If you want something to spur you on a bit, you could join a comment spam book club. I’m currently in one. They don’t really critique, just react which is fun. It’s helped given me motivation to write and upload through some tougher times. But it may not be for you as you may have a very different mindset than me.

2 Likes

Honestly, this. I write one to three chapters a week then edit for grammar and sentence flow on whichever is the next chapter to be published (I only publish one chapter per week). Editing may take an hour or so if I’m really stuck, but I continue writing where I left off when I’m done. Rinse & repeat.

2 Likes

Write first and edit later! It’s so much better to have a first draft fully written then focusing on editing the first three chapters.

3 Likes

Yes! This!! :point_up_2:

3 Likes

As someone you’ve requested a critique from, I just want to reiterate what most are saying here - just write.

Getting feedback on your first few chapters (be it a first draft or not) can be beneficial, but you shouldn’t live and die by it. I think some initial thoughts are great - they can give you an idea of your story’s potential, provide you with advice to bear in mind when moving forward, give you an insight into how your writing style, characters etc. are received on first impression.

What you shouldn’t do it get trapped in that editing loop. Generally, I complete a first draft before posting on Wattpad. However, I was posting as I was writing on another writing site years ago, and feedback from readers made me realise I was taking my story in the totally wrong direction. I scrapped the latest 3 chapters, and rewrote. Even then though, I wasn’t really editing as I wrote - tweaking things, sure, but not going back over it again and again.

In the end, you’ve got to do what works best for you, whether that means editing as you go or writing it all out, then going back over the story. Either way, I don’t think editing and editing and editing to the point where you’re not actually writing anything new is productive. It’ll just drive you insane!

To answer the basic question of should you stop trying to get advice - not necessarily, no, but make writing your priority. Real, in-depth critiques can come later.

3 Likes