Should the Fantasy and Science Fiction clubs be merged?

Pointless poll of the week!

I’ve noticed a number of threads duplicated in the two clubs, presumably because of overlapping interest. Heck, I’ve done two duplicate threads myself. Bookstores both physical and virtual often shelve fantasy and sci-fi together. Who likes 'em separate, who reads both and thinks they’d be more convenient as one ‘Fantasy & Science Fiction’ club?

• Merge Fantasy and Science Fiction into one club
  • Keep them separate

0 voters

Science fiction is smaller than fantasy but distinctive in how it handles plausibility and science. When the two get combined, fantasy swamps science fiction and science fiction concerns get lost,
if they are to be combined, it should be called speculative fiction. This avoids requiring magic (or technology used as magic) to be used in science fiction. But it’s better to keep them seperate because Fantasy readers often are bored by discussions of scientific plausibility, a topic beloved in science-fiction.

3 Likes

I would prefer not to.

Science fiction appeals to me for reasons that fantasy writers and readers explicitly ignore or disparage.

3 Likes

No. It’s two completely different things.
In science fiction you expect actual science, you can’t just make stuff up without having a science background.
Fantasy is much more lenient in that way, but still, if you want to keep credibility, you shouldn’t stray too far into the implausible.

1 Like

Fantasy and sci-fi is each a separate and very distinct sub-genera of speculative fiction. They are two very different halfs of the same coin, imagination. But like siblings are prone to do they conflict with each other on many things.

Put them in the same box and one will always try to consume the other.

Science fiction will be the one that gets consumed.

Cant happen. Sci-fi exists where fantasy cannot. And fantasy goes where sci-fi wont follow.

It simply results in conflict.

We’re talking about what happens when no distinction is made between science fiction and fantasy. Science fiction is the smaller genre and contains elements that most fantasy readers dislike. A category that is both science fiction and fantasy will in actuality be fantasy only. The science fiction will be judged as if it were fantasy and will fall short of reader expectations. Interesting speculation on genetics or the like will be trashed as unnecessary exposition if it’s in a book and off-topic if it’s in a forum.

Only in part true. You forgot something.

Real Sci-fi writers write sci-fi whether it gets read or not. We don’t care what everyone thinks. A long time ago, before the world grew up a bit, they called us heretics and burned us at the stake for seeing with our minds further than most people dream.

Fantasy will always be just minstrel tales told for the simple minded amusement of the masses. Drabbles for those whom never grew beyond the childish limericks and fanciful tales of youth.

Sci-fi tickles the mind of an old soul. It opens the inner eye to new vistas mankind may never know. Man will most likely never stand on the surface of a sun and live. But a simple sci-fi book can put you hand in hand with someone who’s done it.

As badass as hot blondes riding dragons is to watch on tv. Unless she finds a spacesuit she’ll always be just a really, really hot planet bound chick with pets that can kill you, roast you, eat you and crap an ash pile that was you.

A bit to high maintenance in my opinion.

But admittedly, given half a chance, I’d probably be willing to brave that dragon just to get a sniff.

Sci-fi will be because it has too be. Fantasy is because some people can’t seem to get their mind’s off of either dragons or short spunky heroines that appear to weight slightly less than the average sack of idaho spuds. Although I’m willing to admit that she did appear quite fetching while butt naked and surrounded by a blazing bonfire.

As much as they conflict…a good author can blend the two as masterfully as a painter blends colors.

Ann Mccaffery comes to mind. A great author whose ability to blend left me stunned. Her dragon riders of pern series is an absolutely awesome literary accomplishment. So fantastic…yet, not fantasy.

1 Like

I agree. I’m more into films when we’re talking sci-fi and fantasy, but - I see them as different enough to hold space in their own genre categories.

I just can’t specifically say ‘why’ but I like the way you put this - (my paraphrase of your words here) - that sci-fi should at the very least be based on technology (real or theoretical) that makes sense; Fantasy can go as far, as deep and as wide (and as wild) as the imagination can stretch.

One mind-blowing moment for me as a kid was when a very strict (kind of a jerk) science teacher showed off his nerdy side (back before nerds were cool) and talked to us about how much he loved original “Star Trek” - somebody popped off that it was a bunch of malarkey, and he burned the rest of the class period talking about all the ways in which “Star Trek” adhered to laws and theories.

He explained that the (fuel pylons? some fan will kill me for getting this wrong) on the original Enterprise were loaded with matter on one side, and anti-matter on the other. I wish I had a videotape of his speech that day, he could have kept going all day, but it made an impression on me, and I think he converted a few people into “Trek” fans that day.

1 Like

I’m not forgetting this at all. I can’t because I’ve spent 19 years writing science fiction. I’m only now getting readers here on Wattpad. Having my work judged as if it were fantasy has been a major frustration a barrier. This happens when science fiction is treated as a sub-catagory of paranormal fiction and judged accordinging. Finding science fiction books has been equally difficult and frustration because of this conflation of science fiction with paranormal fiction.

Really, I’ve never suffered that issue. Perhaps your writing is a bit to…well, fantastic?

No.

Really, I’ve never suffered that issue. Perhaps your writing is a bit to…well, fantastic?

How long have you been writing? what genres? How have you published? What associations have you been part of?
Also what is your definition of science fiction?
The problems is for those who define science fiction as containing science in such a way that if the science were removed, the plot would fall apart.
It’s probably not a problem for you if you define science fiction as taking place in the future.

Well, I think we achieved ignitionXXX I mean statistical significance.

Fantasy club: 82% of 44 voters to KEEP THEM SEPARATE!
Science Fiction: 77% of 31 voters to KEEP THEM SEPARATE!

I’m closing these polls. Better things to do, y’all.

P.S. did you know that the chat platform won’t let you post two items that are very similar in a short time span? Clever stuff!

I’m almost exclusively a sci-fi writer. I’ve submitted a story or two here and there. Penned around the verse for a bit. Just to peek, I was careful not to stare.

And I am known for a bit of skill for making a tale flow in such a way as to make a reader wonder. Twisted words that jumble and fall across their minds like comets painting pictures of the fantastic visions that I imagine.

My stories are for those who want to take a ride with me.

Beyond the horizon and scope of human sight lie wonders far more dangerous than all earths might. Vistas and scenes we can never witness. Planets and suns too many to count. Galaxies going on to infinity.

But should we be limited by the science of today? I’ve wrote biological sci-fi that happened here a billion years ago yesterday.

Should I label it fantasy just because everywhere we look aliens we do not see. Should my vision be fettered by someones lack of sight. Are you willing to define a future you can’t see.

Merely because you don’t know me doesn’t mean you have anything on me. Lack of publishing should never be misconstrued as lack of writing skills or worldly wisdom.

As for me I’m a multiverse writer who will go to the horizon of imagination a peer over the edge at what lies beyond. I’ll write in any genera I fancy. My drive account is a slushy mess of stories galore. Sometimes I pop them up, but for I that is a chore.

I write for me. I write the stories I want to read. The sci-fi tales my mind thirsts for push me forward.

True sci-fi…is an obsession. One that holds your soul and milks your spirit. A true sci-fi writer doesn’t write a story to sell to the masses.

A true sci-fi writer sings a song with written words that the reader can see in front of their eyes as a perfect vision of someone else’s fantasy.

That, is the science to fiction.

No, neither should you have your story rejected or marked down for including science. This is what happens when the distinction between science fiction and fantasy is ignored. If you’re interested I can go into the painful details of my experience, but I think we can skip that.

Science fiction is rightfully a subcategory of fantasy. It should be labeled science fiction if it includes science, if it doesn’t the label becomes meaningless, and stories that include science get lost. Either readers can’t find it or else they’re disappointed to find it does contain science along with possibly more exposition than they like. If the distinction is clear, readers can more easily determine which books are or aren’t their cup of tea.

I wish I’d hit this poll. They should NOT be merged. Fantasy can be broad enough as it is, science fiction, too, on its own. They are completely different, despite there being lines crossed at times. It would be too much of a mess to navigate two completely different genres. Science is rooted in exactly that, whereas fantasy is anything that is not real and can be thought up. Keep them separate.

1 Like

Agreed. They are marketed as two genres for a reason.