So Wattpad just randomly swapped my UI language to Mandarin(?)

It was in English while I was browsing my own profile a minute ago, then I refreshed and all of a sudden google translate was asking if I wanted my page translated. Then I went to My Works and uh… this…

Strangely, it went back to normal after I refreshed/when I visited someone else’s page.

Edit: Also funnily enough, the language selection in my menu still says English.

@AmnerisTenjo is this what happened to you?

Yes! That’s exactly what happened

1 Like

This is a rare but normal occurrence which a single refresh of the page can fix. I’m not usually concerned with it, though I do wish it would stop for good.

It’s been happening for a few people now, I think. It should sort itself out again when you refresh the page :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a minor inconvenience if anything, was mostly curious to see how many people had experienced it.

It happens to me every now and again, say within two to three weeks.

2 Likes

I had that happen yesterday too, but I simply refreshed the tab and it was back to normal. Seems overall many people experience that hiccup.

1 Like

Yeah, had this happen to me a few weeks ago. Very annoying. It took about an hour to get back to normal.

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s awful. I’m glad mine only lasted a few minutes.

Mine occasionally switches to Russian, as do other Programs on my computer, but refreshing doesn’t always fix the problem :confused:

1 Like

If it’s affecting other programs that might be a problem with your OS rather than just Wattpad. As far as I can tell, this glitch only affected my WP tabs.

I use a Cyrillic alphabet on occasion. My computer has decided that that means I’m fluent in Russian. Unfortunately I’m not, which can make trying to figure out how to get it back to English challenging

2 Likes

Mine switches to Russian or Turkish at times. A hard refresh usually does the trick :slight_smile:

2 Likes

me too.

Interesting. I wonder why it chooses those languages when it bugs out. :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe it’s automatic. The last language used, becomes the default language. Or maybe those languages are been used more? :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve never touched Mandarin though :joy: Contrary to what other Asians on the street sometimes think when they’re asking for directions, I only speak English :’)

1 Like

I was uploading a new chapter when the page suddenly turned to Russian. I was horrified and my first words were “Oh shit! Not at this time…”
I stared at the page for five mins before refreshing it, agonising in the fact that my content could potentially be wiped out and I’d have to start all over again. Refreshing the page helped. But those five minutes were pure hell :joy:

1 Like