social media presence as an author

1. Social media isn’t a requirement to being a writer, but it sure is fun! Interacting with other writers is amazing, and I can definitely recommend it. The writing community is vast and super supportive. In my opinion, I say jump in!

2. I personally have mine separate. My brand Makayla Sophia has its things, and then I have a personal site to connect to close friends and family. This doesn’t mean your brand needs to be completely salesy. Actually, I wouldn’t recommend that. Sprinkle in bits of personal stuff. You want to be authentic.

3. If you want to separate the two, use an alias or whatever author name you’re planning to use. I think fray covered this pretty well.

4. Definitely use twitter. There’s tons of hashtags that are worth mingling on. #amreading, #writingcommunity, #amwriting, etc. there’s also weekly twitter chats like #Storysocial and #wattpad4 that connects writers. There are tons of hashtags beyond that!

5. If you’re doing a blog, consistency is key! I have a schedule and prewritten posts. It has to be something you want to do.

For now, you could start on wordpress.com free plan and try it out. If you ever want to switch to .org and host elsewhere, you can export your blog, including subscribers, posts, and whatnot, and host it elsewhere on the .org version when you’re ready. So you can start building your audience now, if you want to do the blog.

With the free themes, you can still change some colors, fonts, add header images, add widgets (like subscribe buttons, custom html tables without css, social media buttons, etc). So there IS customization, just not as much as from scratch, lol.

One thing I suggest with blogging, is DO NOT use google / Pinterest / etc for the imagery. It opens a whole can of worms with copyright, licensing, etc.

Erk, yes that’s a side to it I have so far not embarked on a lot. I’m on Twitter, there’s a great community of writers there. Also, I have an FB account as I’m considering ads. But not active at all. I hate Goodreads and Instagram, but will have to consider the former once the publishing deadline is established. Not sure iInstagram is where my readers are. Will have to check that.

I’ve got my website set up and will have to start blogging more regularly. Trouble was to find something to blog about and I believe the recent editing experience might be useful for other writers.

for me it is a case of getting things in place and then slowly start putting my toes into marketing waters. But I had to get the edits out of the way, that was a VERY intensive three months.

And yes, most of us have a full-time job. I’m fortunate insofar as I have reduced to 40 hours, before it really was crazy and I’m getting too old for these night-time stints.

absolutely! i planned to use unsplash for any graphics? that’s what we use at work. :blush:

I can definitely recommend Unsplash. Their administrators are super nice.

That’s the best part about pen names - you can choose a new one! A lot of the big ones have done that too. It’s a common practice in pretty much all creative fields. Also for the reasons you mentioned.

You’re welcome! If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to shoot them at me either here on in PMs :slight_smile:

why do you hate goodreads and instagram? :blush: i haven’t used goodreads as an author yet, so that should be an interesting voyage.

And yes, most of us have a full-time job. I’m fortunate insofar as I have reduced to 40 hours, before it really was crazy and I’m getting too old for these night-time stints.

mine actually isn’t FULL full-time; i have wednesdays off, but i only have wednesdays off to care for my son so my parents get a break. :joy: and he’s a baby, so it’s more work than being at actual work! hopefully i’ll be able to use my wednesdays for writing as he grows more independant.

thank you so much!

Goodreads seems pretty spiteful. I checked the reviews and even very successful authors are stuck with three-star reviews that often sound surprisingly negative. But yes, one cannot avoid it, simply because the book WILL show up there.
Instagram is a waste of time. I cannot be bothered with people who seem to have enough time on their hands to stage their lives. And the big unshaggy mass runs after them and goes “Ooooh”.
I see how my niece suffers from “not being as pretty as influencer X” She’s an exceedingly pretty elfin blond girl but she sees only the flaws in hers and Instagram, being what it is keeps egging her on.
So - no.
I have no time for it. I have no time for FB either, but yes, will need to post the author’s journey. Twitter I love, it’s fast, short and has been extremely useful.

Goodreads seems pretty spiteful. I checked the reviews and even very successful authors are stuck with three-star reviews that often sound surprisingly negative. But yes, one cannot avoid it, simply because the book WILL show up there.

yeah, i think i’ve come to terms with the fact that if i do get published, i’ll get some negative reviews. but that’s okay. you can’t please everybody, and your work isn’t going to everybody’s cup of tea. :blush:

I see how my niece suffers from “not being as pretty as influencer X”

yeah, instagram can be quite a toxic place, especially if you’re vulnerable. i don’t think i’d need to worry about this though bc i’d be using it in a writerly way, rather than as an influencer; whatever that would be. :woman_shrugging:t3:

i’m still working on the first draft of a novel. should i make my writer-associated accounts now?

I’m at the same point as you and I have a writer’s account on Twitter. It’s great fun. I get to chat to established authors, publishers and agents, take part in challenges and brag threads, and post links to my stuff here. I have over 1200 followers. That includes other writers, journalists, broadcasters, agents, editors, publishers, illustrators. If you engage people will engage back, and you never know who you might end up chatting to.

should they be separate from my main accounts, like having locked “personal” accounts, but then open “writer” accounts which would be more of a brand, and which i’d use purely for making friends with other writers and following relevant things?

Up to you. Do you want to be constantly swapping between profiles? I just have the one account. So do some of the established authors I follow, and they tweet videos of their puppies and all sorts. :laughing:

what should i call them? i’m quite eager to escape the silly name i’ve chosen on here (and which also dominates 99% of my personal social media lmao), and i was wondering if there are any accepted naming conventions? “name_thewriter” or whatever? what’s common and professional?

My twitter handle is trudiwrites and I’ve seen a few authors use the same format. Others just go for the full name or a variation of it. Just bear in mind it has to be easy to find for people who may know your writing from another source.

what platforms should i use? instagram, twitter, goodreads? is a facebook page worth it?

Facebook sucks! I follow a lot of authors on Twitter who also use instagram. Both sites have big writers communities. In fact you’ll find the twitter one under the hashtag #writerscommunity

I also have an author’s profile on Goodreads but I’m published. I think you have to have a published work that you can link to before you can get a verified account over there.

should i start a blog? what goes on a writer blog? i’ve tried with a blog before, but lacked direction and never really kept up with it.

I have a blog under my own domain. No-one visits it. LOL! It’s entirely up to you, but TBH Twitter is where I get most of my engagement.

I’m at the same point as you and I have a writer’s account on Twitter. It’s great fun.

how do you use twitter in this way? is it search functions and hashtags? i have a twitter but i post very boring lifestyle tweets, retweet memes and just use it to follow friends at the min.

Do you want to be constantly swapping between profiles?

NO I DO NOT. :joy: i’ve been thinking about overhauling my social media for a while now, though, so i might just privatise my current twitter and instagram, and either leave them to fade into the beyond or deal with the switching if i find i miss one or the other. i think i probably won’t miss them, though.

TBH Twitter is where I get most of my engagement.

thank you for this insight!

thank you so much for your whole response, actually, and taking the time to answer every point! :blush:

does anybody know if it would be easy to change my wattpad & wattpad communities usernames?

I think if you change your Wattpad name, it changes automatically here too. Maybe just log out and in again, if it doesn’t change automatically :slight_smile:

I tweet about writing, retweet other authors, interesting book reviews, samples from book cover designers etc. I also tweet questions about writing. Today I asked what other writers considered to be their career high. One established author has responded to me with a story about a public reading of one of his books he attended. He has 6500 followers and now they’re all retweeting our chat.

You can also get people to engage with your own writing using hashtags. A popular one is #1linewed where writers tweet one line from their WIP every Wednesday. There’s also Pitch Wars which happens twice a year I think. That has its own hashtag and a huge following. Authors looking for publishers can tweet the elevator pitch for their completed manuscript.

Probably the best starting point though would be to start tweeting under some of the established community hashtags and start following the people who do the same. Log in to your Twitter using

tweetdeck.twitter.com

and set up columns for some of the following

#amwriting
#writerslife
#writerscommunity
#amediting
#authorconfessions

If you introduce yourself on the #writerscommunity tag you should start picking up followers straight away. I know some people who’ve picked up a few hundred followers just using that tag.

thank you! that worked just fine :blush: welcome to my rebrand, i guess! :joy:

this is super helpful, thank you so much!

All rebranded! Kate Ryder is a good name too! Close to Kate Writer :wink:

thank you!

i was actually tempted to go ryderwrites for all my handles, but wasn’t sure if it was too gimmicky :joy:

Nah, I think Kate Ryder has a good flow and it’s a funny pun. I love puns :joy: