social media presence as an author

Aww, I like that option. :laughing:

It depends on the intent of your social media account. Once you’re an established author, the account will serve to communicate with your audience (followers). That’s where the marketing comes in, and if you have less than 3 novels it may not be worth the time.

But if you’re building a following to market to, you want to do that before your first novel is published. This way you’ll have people to sell to. So in this second scenario, your presence can’t be about your novels. It has to be something else the people who would buy your book is interested in. It’s like building a mailing list.

I wouldn’t wait until you have a novel under your belt. Social media is not “buy my stuff media.” It’s SOCIAL. The way to use it is to establish connections and followers who like YOU, who value YOU and what you share. You should start that now.

When you’re about to launch, you can share your excitement – and your followers will celebrate with you. Once you have a book then you can, very occasionally, give an update and a buy link.

You absolutely want to work on your social media right now. Because if you publish your book and only post things about your book, no one will follow you.

The other thing is - social media is a relationship, not just sales. So you need to find a niche to post about. Is it motivational stuff? Is it beautiful places you visit? Is it awesome quotes from your novel that inspire others?

Then you can sprinkle in details about your book, making a post ratio of 1:5 1=the times you post your book and 5=everything else.

The reason why you need to be on every platform is because if you aren’t, people don’t know you exist. I didn’t know you existed until you made this post. So it’s all about exposure, in the end. But people don’t want to follow platforms that only talk about their book.

The best thing is is to build a genuine following and then when you get to release your novel, you’ve already got a crowd. One thing I also recommend is find other authors you like and support them. They’ll love it just as much as you do. But pick people you actually like, or stories you like.

I find that the niche for many authors revolves around writing advice. Personally, I think that attracts authors, not readers.

I agree. A better one is related to the genre you write in. Or related to your branding!

Or editorial services. I know a few who do this and it’s helped them out big time.

@XimeraGrey

Agreed. You never know who’ll see your posts, especially if you have a wide diversity of followers etc :slight_smile:

That’s definitely true!

But it doesn’t just have to be a niche that attracts authors. Maybe you review books. Maybe you make posts about books you’re reading and then share pictures of cozy places for people to read (sounds generic, but it works).

In the end you want readers to think, “Hey this person really contributes to the hobby I enjoy. I should follow them!” and posting stuff only about your own work won’t attract anyone. But eventually you cross a threshold when you get a ton of fans, and then you can post mostly about your book.

Social media, if trying to build a brand outside of your novel, is a part-time job for many. If you cannot commit to that (many can’t for obvious reasons) you can always find authors/reviewers you really enjoy and follow them and support them. Some will eventually friend you back and they return the favor by supporting your book.

fab, that’s the outcome i was hoping for when i started this thread! i set up a lot of stuff yesterday and already made some awesome connections with friendly people on twitter which is really cool :blush:

i think i was going to go down the book-reviewing, genre-contributing, hopefully-interesting person sort of route; i don’t really feel comfortable writing advice sort of articles at the moment (part of me is like…what gives me the authority lmao?) and i definitely don’t have time to offer editing services, but perhaps in the future!

like a lot of people said, it’s a slow build. i think i’m just going to try and make some friends first. :blush:

thank you for your posts (and @XimeraGrey, @JMills & @Blayde), it was good to come on here and catch up with your replies this morning!