social media presence as an author

Yeah definitely. I think you rack up followers faster if you always follow back but like… I’d rather have few followers who interact with me, rather than a lot of followers who don’t, you know?

This following business is a bit of a nuisance. i’m more relaxed on twitter, here on WP I hardly follow anybody. Doesn’t mean I’m stand-offish, I just don’t want to drown in notifications!

Same! I’m right with you there.

I’m all up for chatting and making friends, but I’m really not into the whole “follow back instantly” thing. It doesn’t feel natural for me to do so. And the people I follow? I do wanna see their tweets, retweets or announcements on here.

Twitter is fun, I can quickly scan through, re-tweet what I like, comment and respond where I feel like and it all works. The writing community on twitter is fantastic (it’s fantastic whereever it is). Without the support groups, I would never have got that far, but things like FB somehow don’t work for me. I don’t like it, I’m very wary of it, I only opened an account when my novel got accepted for publishing. Will explore ads as part of the marketing mix

All of that about Twitter? Yes! So much yes!

I don’t dabble with Facebook. I have my own personal account but I’m not really that interested in making an additional account just for my writing. Don’t really know how to network on there either, so it’s too much hassle :sweat_smile:

LoL, I didn’t realize this thread is two weeks old. Oh well… :slight_smile:

Twitter can be both a blessing and a curse because it can help further your objectives, or drive you up the fucking wall. I’ve been on Twitter for 10 years–8 of those years were spent in limbo. (Meaning, I left the site for 8 years and have only been active for the last 2.)

If I wanted to, I could leave again for an untold number of years. It doesn’t bother me any. But I’ve been using it to glean news items of interest and keeping tabs on the current criminal enterprise occupying the White House.

But I don’t really use it much to promote my own work. I just talk politics, home life, work (like today for example), and a few other things. I may have 623 followers, but to be realistic, many of them came before Twitter was in its infancy and the rest were in the last couple of years.

And depending on whose precious feelings I hurt by speaking the obvious truth, I also lose people left and right as well–which is kind of fun because you don’t know who is going to get pissed off and leave. (Like two months ago? I said, “Kansas has become a shit hole state since the Republicans took over.” Apparently, it pissed off quite a few people because I lost 30 followers overnight. I figured people already knew this nugget of truth, but you know…whatever. Moving on.)

I’ve had others tell me to be more “nice” online, but have any of you met Bill O’ Reilly yet? That guy’s a few French fries short of a Happy Meal. And he’s much worse than me.

But I use social media to be myself. I don’t use it as a blanket advertisement for hand lotion or some shiny new car because I’ve been noticing (in the past) that when people advertise on Twitter, it’s almost like a ghost town and seldom does anyone respond back or even comment. (Or even like the ad itself.)

Well, thankfully…I’m not you. I’ve been finding out along the way that writers don’t want to interact with anyone because the moment someone starts a discussion, a topic, or something that just pisses everyone off–it becomes an all out flame war in short order.

(I joined a few high profile groups in the past and these has been my experiences. So that’s why I don’t belong to them anymore.)

And to be honest, writer groups have been a huge disappointment for me. Not because I didn’t achieve any of my short term goals with them–or lack thereof–it’s because each group came with a HUGE set of restrictions that made it impossible for me to have fun with everyone.

That’s why I’ve disavowed joining anymore. And I’ve had a few incidents in the past year where people from here followed me all the way to Facebook and these groups and started openly attacking me and calling me names and being verbally abusive and not at all nice.

So you can imagine why I don’t hold the writing community online in such high regard. (Or you for that matter.)

That’s good that you’ve had a better experience than I have over the years. But I seem to be attracting all the negative (cowbells!) of the world to me and my accounts every time I open one up.

It doesn’t take more than a few minutes or a day before somebody here tracks me down through my Facebook or Twitter account and begins harassing me online. (Just like last month and last summer: “Here’s the bad person I told you about…now let’s gang up on him and start calling him names!!!”)

And people here think I’m the problem child?

I love it when online bullies from Wattpad and Twitter think they have every right to call me out on everything I do…but do it worse and then turn around and cry victim when I hold their feet to the fire.

You know what they say: “It takes two to tango.”

People should really stop thinking of me as an easy target because of the way I am. And mind their own damned business. (That would be nice.)

Writers don’t want to interact with you because you are a bully with a reputation for being rude and bombastic. You have spent 4 years insulting writers on Wattpad, no surprise they don’t want to engage with you on other forums.

That never happened. There is not a single comment directed at you on a twitter or Goodreads. You are crying wolf to attract attention. People don’t follow or interact with you on social media because you are a known bully who has been banned multiple times from this site.

How you conduct yourself online does stick in people’s minds and will sway their purchase decisions.

To the other writers reading this thread who understand the value of community - there are many fantastic forums discussing publishing and you need to keep up with what is happening. Find a few that suit you and where you are at in your journey, and jump in :smiley:

The last thing to remember is that what you post on social media forms part of your brand (especially important once you are published). Think before you post, ask yourself is this how you want to represent your brand? If you mainly post inflammatory comments and derogatory remarks about other authors, that is what you will be known for and that will have a flow on effect.

i did have a different response here previously, but have removed it bc i don’t want this thread to dissolve and become about something it isn’t.

i’m sorry that you haven’t had a good experience with your social media presence and i hope you find a way to make it better soon! :blush:

Again, this sounds very subjective to you and your experience, rather than something objective. Your opinion isn’t a fact.

No idea who Bill O’Reilly is. :woman_shrugging: But someone being worse than you, doesn’t make you better.

I don’t know what to reply to the rest. I didn’t ask for all of this. The only thing I said was that just because your subjective experience hadn’t been the best, that doesn’t mean the platform is bad. Which is also apparent by others who’ve replied in this thread, saying the opposite of you.

This thread is about social media presences and their relevance to writing and authors in general. Experiences on that journey might be different, so i suggest we keep the personal discussions out of it. Thanks everybody.

Back on topic, I personally think social media gets harder to use because of algorithm changes. Remember Facebook pages when your posts reached everybody who liked? Now you have to PAY to reach out. I believe the same is happening to Twitter because of the “promote this tweet” option on each tweet. My posts are on Twitter are not reaching out, even with the hashtags.

That’s not entirely correct. Personally I didn’t see any drop off with the algorithm change on Facebook. My posts are always seen by the majority of people who like my page and depending on what we are talking about, I have posts that go over 100% reach. What happened was Facebook penalised pages that didn’t have good engagement. I saw alot of authors who traded “likes” and who ran competitions where you had to like a page to enter. What that did was inflate number of followers, but proportionately it reduced engagement which then affected reach for those authors.

Ultimately social media is about being social. Find a medium/site that you enjoy and remember to be yourself and it’s about engaging and making connections. Also don’t forget to grow your email list, as that’s another way of reaching out and connecting with readers :slight_smile:

If you don’t want to make an extra account, you can always make a business/public figure page. Lots of businesses and celebrities have them. You don’t amass friends, people will follow your page and see your posts. You can manage the whole thing from your main account and it won’t even show that you manage it unless you want to.

I’ve tried that with a photography page and it died. I don’t know how to work the algorithm or promote on Facebook whatsoever, or how to make my page findable. I know I can buy sponsored posts, but I also think that’s overdoing it a little for Wattpad books :joy:

One other thing to keep in mind is that both Twitter and Facebook allow you to make lists. If your posts aren’t reaching the right people, you can make a list of your closest friends, favorite authors, your reader tribe or whatever group of people you want so you can interact with their posts directly instead of wading through the posts of the 500 strangers you follow just out of courtesy. If you haven’t tried that yet, you might see if it’ll help…? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

My apologies, I didnt read all comments, i just skimmed. I didn’t read a lot about Instagram, but that’s what I use. I feel more like I’m in an echo chamber of fellow writers and less like I’m promoting myself ads an author, but I honestly still really love it because I’m making great connections and have even beta read for someone. I think it’s a great place to build a support community. I’m also not published yet, it might change when I have actual books out and maybe I will see a sale side.

I chose Instagram because I write mostly YA and that’s where a lot of the demographic is. I’m not super social media savvy, so I really just stick to the few but try to do them very well. So I have Instagram and Wattpad.

As a reader, I like author websites. If an author doesn’t have a website, that’s honestly a mark against them for me. Anauthor website gets me on mailing lists for authors I like, helps me track all their work. Just feels professional to me.

On the note of blogs, from what I’ve read, the trick is to write content thet attracts readers. People care less about slice of life stuff, but frame it right and it becomes searchable. “My top ten reads for people who like Game of Thorns”, “Ten things I learned about writing”, “The rise of Female Heroines in Literature”, etc.

I blog editing tips on my website. I’ve also decided to branch off a little bit - I’m a foodie, I cook a lot, so I might come up with the odd recipe. And if people then eventually find a book, featuring a foodie oh well. Coincidence, eh? :wine_glass: