Some questions on Wattpad

This seems like the correct place to post, but if not, moderators please move as you see fit.

A couple questions as I gear up to publish my first longer story (28,000 words).

1. When I see a piece has a lot of views, anywhere from 10,000 to 1,000,000+, is it usually the case that the views trail off over time? In other words, I assume the total views includes all views by all readers, even the ones who stopped reading the updates. So if a story had two parts and the first part had 900 views and the second had 100 views, that would be 1000 views, correct? Even if only 100 people viewed both parts?

2. Do most of the really popular stories that eventually go on to become optioned for streaming or digital pilots or whatever experience little depreciation in terms of reads? Does engagement play in to such deal probabilities?

3. Is there a way for me to see a list of all of the Wattpad stuff that has been optioned, either by Wattpad Studios or outside prodcos/studios? I assume an author can strike a deal with an outside entity without cutting Wattpad in on the deal? (If that isn’t the case, that’s fine, just curious what the terms of service say on that.)

4. Does Wattpad have a company website, or an investors site?

5. Have short stories been optioned a lot on Wattpad? I’ve seen some activity with short stories at magazine/tech sites being optioned, so was curious about Wattpad’s history on that count.

Thanks for any answers, it is appreciated…

2 Likes

Not sure I can answer everything, but from my personal experience:

1. Yes, the number of reads is not an avergae by chapters, it’s overall reads. So if you have 100 chapters and you have 1 read by chapters, you got it marked as 100 reads for the story.

2. My most popular story has over 100 million reads and I’m nowhere close to having any kind of deal for it, whether it be from Wattpad or any other publishing/studio. Many stories with less reads than me, and with less followers have a deal with Wattpad Studios or with other companies. Wattpad does look at the popularity, but it’s not the only thing that makes them decide to offer writers a deal.

3. I don’t think there is an official list, but if you look at Wattpad Stars, most of them have a deal/are working on having a deal. And yes, you can strike any kind of deal with any entity you may chose. Posting your stories on Wattpad does not make it Wattpad domain. Your writing is always your writing. Wattpad does not have any right over it, unless you sign a deal with them. Take Kissing Booth for instance, Wattpad talks a lot about that story, but they had nothing to do with the deals Beth got, for publishing and for the movie.

4. I think these are the closest to a company website you might find:
    https://books.wattpad.com/
    https://www.wattpad.com/writers/
    https://www.wattpad.com/writers/opportunities/

5. I think so, but I couldn’t give you any example.

I hope this helped. :smiley:

4 Likes
  1. When I see a piece has a lot of views, anywhere from 10,000 to 1,000,000+, is it usually the case that the views trail off over time? In other words, I assume the total views includes all views by all readers, even the ones who stopped reading the updates. So if a story had two parts and the first part had 900 views and the second had 100 views, that would be 1000 views, correct? Even if only 100 people viewed both parts?

Correct, the numbers you see are collective of the whole story.

So if 1k people read your first chapter and only 500 read the second, your book will say you have 1.5k readers

1. Do most of the really popular stories that eventually go on to become optioned for streaming or digital pilots or whatever experience little depreciation in terms of reads? Does engagement play in to such deal probabilities?

Maybe, I think there might be some bias, but i don’t know exactly

1. Is there a way for me to see a list of all of the Wattpad stuff that has been optioned, either by Wattpad Studios or outside prodcos/studios? I assume an author can strike a deal with an outside entity without cutting Wattpad in on the deal? (If that isn’t the case, that’s fine, just curious what the terms of service say on that.)

There is a Wattpad profile count that’s called “Wattpadbookshelf” That has books that have been actually published

1. Does Wattpad have a company website, or an investors site?

I don’t know this one xD

1. Have short stories been optioned a lot on Wattpad? I’ve seen some activity with short stories at magazine/tech sites being optioned, so was curious about Wattpad’s history on that count.

I don’t know about “optimized” but there are “official” ambassador- run accounts specifically for short stories, and there are quite a few short stories and short story collections on here.
@coffeecomunity @flashfic @MicroBytes @shortstories

1 Like

@DarknessAndLight

Thank you very much for that detailed response. It is extremely helpful.

The reads issue is quite interesting and informative. And I will use your tips to find out more info…such as the Wattpad Stars. That should help me gather up some data. I think I saw that Kissing Booth film, was that on Netflix? If it is the one I am thinking of, I’ll have to see how that deal came about. I will look at those approximations of company websites as well. I have my work cut out for me this evening.

Congratulations on 100 million reads and having a lot of followers, seriously. That is a tough thing to accomplish. I won’t get that certainly, but I hopefully can grow more than I have currently. My wish is that you secure a Hollywood deal for your work. Take care…

1 Like

@edoggypaws

Thank you for your response and your help. The reads issue is interesting because it dawned on me that maybe it doesn’t mean every person read all chapters. Not sure how much that plays into all of this, but it is good to know.

Thanks for that tip on the short stories. I probably won’t be able to write really long tales, and am hoping to see some acceptance of short stories on the site. I will check out those handles. I personally think Wattpad should focus on optioning short stories for short films, as they may become popular on mobile over time (and maybe even on streaming, which might want to spend less money but generate more content as the bidding wars for talent escalate).

Take care…

1 Like

Yeah, readers definitely don’t read all chapters all the time,
They give you these stats about your story once you have a story published.
Here’s an example:

1 Like

@edoggypaws That’s a very interesting graph. I think I may know how to access that but I don’t think I have ever really looked at it for my stories. I’ll go check it out.

1 Like

Yes. The views are totaled by three things:

1. The total number of every published part. So let’s say you have ten parts and each has 5 views. That gives your story a total of 50 views.

2. How many times people clicked on it. Each view per part doesn’t count per person. So if you have 900 views on the first chapter, that doesn’t mean 900 people read it. That just means there’s been 900 clicks on it. Some of which could be from the same person.

3. How many times you clicked on it. Unfortunately, the amount of times you click on your story or the amount of times you edit your story all count as views. This is why if you first posted a new chapter, it may say “1 read” when it was just posted a second ago. That “1 read” was from you.

Popularity has nothing to do with getting publishing deals or whatnot because there’s dozens of popular stories that are never optioned for film or professionally published. Some of this is because the story might not be what professionals are looking for, and sometimes the writer doesn’t want to be a part of it. It all depends on many different factors.

However, the engagement between the writer and their readers could help you get there. Wattpad does like seeing people who are very active on their profiles with their readers, so it may push you a little more to get a deal with Wattpad.

There honestly isn’t an official list that I know of personally. The current list for English-related stories is shown here on this article. There haven’t been many productions on Wattpad stories, but it’s also still new. However, it is different for those in the Philippines because Wattpad is super popular there. There have been several films or TV shows made for the Filipino audience that became adapted from book to screen.

There are multiple books on here from Wattpad Stars or people who have won specific contests that have had their books optioned, but getting it optioned doesn’t guarantee an actual film or TV show.

It is possible to make a deal outside Wattpad without having Wattpad in on the deal, but in most cases, it’s harder to do if your book isn’t professionally published as that’s how it’s usually done. When it comes to getting published, Wattpad doesn’t own anything of your story so you can have your story on here and look for agents without needing Wattpad’s permission or approval. Problem is is that most agents and publishers don’t accept stories that are posted on Wattpad because they consider Wattpad as a self-publishing platform, whether or not you make money. So you can have a profile here and post books, but those books can’t be published professionally unless you work side-by-side with Wattpad. This is because the publishers that Wattpad works with will allow you to keep your book on here as a first draft kind of thing. Otherwise, they only allow you to have a sample.

Writers

Brand and Partnerships

It depends. There have been some that I’ve seen that are optioned, but in most cases, these are stories that were created for a TV network’s contest. For example, TNT had once did one a few years back called the TNT Horror Contest. What I Found on the Deep Web by TLBodine won and was optioned for television. Unfortunately, they never got a TV show because the producers who bought the rights to the work canceled all plans.

Yup. The Kissing Booth is a Netflix original. The main thing with a lot of the books on here that are created into films is, like I said, you become published first and then producers pick it up later on. Wattpad does have connections with producers or people who work in Hollywood so some of the already published books may get noticed in Hollywood easier, but it’s not always a guarantee.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, I’m glad it could help. :blush:
And yes, Kissing Booth is on Netflix. There’s a second movie scheduled to come out.
And thank you. I have been on Wattpad for over 10 years nows, so that definitely helps. :joy:

We have a company website! https://company.wattpad.com/ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not my glass of beer, but … absolutely awesome title. Canonical Wattpad.

Ooh, quick correction. I’m pretty sure that’s not true. It’s a developmental program and provides more opportunities to work with Wattpad, either through their partnerships with publishers and studios or by working on Brand Partnership projects. But, I think it’s safe to say, most Stars don’t have deals in place at this time. That’s certainly a goal, I’m sure, but it’s probably a ways off.

Definitely, dig into the main company website @ZTEJ2943 . It has announcements of most of their various studio and publishing deals as well as a plethora of information on how they work and how you can get more involved.