Spam and Recruiting via Private Messages on Wattpad

Hi,

We’re currently experiencing a bout of Spam at the moment in the form of several companies not affiliated or endorsed by Wattpad trying to recruit writers from Wattpad and entice them to other platforms.

Please note there are a lot of publisher scams on the internet. This article can help you determine whether or not a publisher or platform is legitimate.

If you get a private message on Wattpad trying to get you to join their platform then that’s contrary to Wattpad’s terms of business and considered spam. So please do feel free to report them and they will be removed.

There’s a Help Page on how to report a user here, and please make a note of the name of the company who have approached you, and / or include a copy of the message.

Many thanks, Gavin

New Spam Accounts Xnovel365
Does anyone received a message from Rnovel?
I've been head hunted by Webnovel
Has anyone heard of Rnovel?
Possible Phishing?
HELP! Perhaps from a Moderator? Received a Weird PM from an unknown company.
Chinese Company Rnovel Spam - Claim They've Read Your Stuff...?
Contacted by Dreame
Webnovel? What is that?
Goodnovel (Signing My Story)
Webnovel? What is that?
You've Seen RNovel and XNovel...
Who got Dmd this?
Platforms spamming me on Wattpad
I was headhunted by Hinovel, Tencent, & a few others. Curious if anyone knows about Hinovel?
You've Seen RNovel and XNovel...
Ask the Ambassadors Anything!
has anybody else gotten this message?
LOL35 Writing group for women writers aged 35+
Webnovel? What is that?
"Webnovel" scam DMs???
Is this a scam? Shandong Huayang Development Co.
Is this Spam?
Anyone Else Getring "Scouted" By Webnovel/Inkitt?
Webnovel? What is that?
apparently, I am famous now| scam(?)
Supportive Wattpad Friends (SWF) 16.0
Publishing Scam?
Contacted by Webnovel
Webnovel?
Three Questions: Featured List, websites reaching out via pm, and stolen story
Has anyone heard of Ringdom?
Has anyone gotten a message from "Webnovel"?
got sent a publish offer sounds fake need opinions
Has Anyone Written for WebNovel?
Contacted by Dreame

Thanks for sharing this information with us! Will definitely be reporting those accounts.

10 Likes

Thanks for the information :smiley:

2 Likes

Every time i report one my report is automatically closed within 30 seconds with an automated message to mute and they don’t close the account so I always end up having to forward the username to an ambassador

3 Likes

Thanks so much for this. It’s not happened to me, but it’s always good to know beforehand. Plus, I’m someone who always gets excited when someone shows interest in my work, so being contacted by a potential publisher will overwhelm me emotionally and make me not think rationally, which might make me fall for the scam.

2 Likes

I’ve received like ten in the last week and just ignored them.

1 Like

You get an auto reply from Support. Replying/responding to the report opens the ticket. You can read more here:

It really feels like it’s out of control these last couple months! I’ve started being so lax when I report them and just like: “Another one. LOL” Because it’s just happening so often nowadays!

I always report, but man is it getting to be a lot! :joy:

4 Likes

No they closed it. I tried to respond to it 30 seconds after i had created it and they wouldn’t let me as they had closed it. My only option was to create a follow up (which i did) which they also immediately closed

2 Likes

Looks like the account in question was closed/taken down that’s why your ticket was closed too :smiley:

Hello! If you report the private message for Spam and explain the situation and stating the name of the company messaging you, it should hit a trigger (looking for keywords) that sends it to the right bucket. If you’re reporting a lesser known spammer, it might not be in the trigger yet so letting an Ambassador know is definitely best and we can make sure to keep adding to it :slight_smile:

7 Likes

As most of the threads regarding these spam accounts are from industry insider and the cafe, I suggest you pin this post in the #industry-insider and #the-cafe.

Welcome to the community forums! :smiley:

The feedback and news area is usually used to post noteworthy items so it can be referenced there and pinned. The Ambassadors can reference it in any threads they see as can any of the regular forum users like yourself.

3 Likes

It wasn’t taken down. After a week I reported them to one of the ambassadors
Then they were taken down

1 Like

Ok thank you!

Shouldn’t you guys look at all tickets rather than auto-closing the ones that don’t trigger those keywords? I’m honestly so tired of spending the time to create a ticket, fill it in, send it, get it auto-closed, re-open it, never get a reply, and check back to see the issue is still there. It’s happened so often I will no longer advise anyone to send support tickets.

(Also, hi, welcome to the forums. We users are going to feed you to death worms now. Don’t tell Nick.)

4 Likes

I thought I was the only one! Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re making a bit of an assumption there that not including a keyword means it’ll auto close. Amy noted that if you put the company name in there as a keyword then it’s more effective and sends it to the correct bucket. There may well be another reason for the ticket auto-closing. The ticketing system is a complex thing.

And the comment about death worms is a little odd to send someone who’s not met you before. Not everyone on staff is Nick or me.

3 Likes