Stories being deleted?

Has anyone heard about the stories being deleted off Wattpad after being reported for no reason?
I’m seeing people talk about it and unpublish theirs to save their reads, votes, and comments.

yes, many of my writer friends have had books reported and when they log on their books are removed. Wattpad aren’t saying why they have been, but the reporters are saying things that breaches the guidelines. I guess what my friends want is for wattpad to not just remove the book, but work with them and actually work out if the reporter is genuine or just plain nasty.

5 Likes

So, Wattpad isn’t checking the story first to make sure the report is accurate???

3 Likes

It would appear so. They get a 3 strike then book is removed. Sometimes it’s the pictures that are being reported, other times the content, but even that shouldn’t be so since the book is marked mature and has many warnings.

As far as I know they get told next to nothing, and by the time they get to correct it, the book is gone. Shredded and unable to be restored.

2 Likes

Okay. But Wattpad isn’t just deleting the stories once they’re reported? Because I am freaking out worrying whether or not I have to unpublish an 80 part story to keep it safe.

1 Like

No, but if you wrote it on wattpad, it pays to make a back up on google doc or word.

1 Like

Well, my book is published, but I have it available on Wattpad too.
Thanks so much for letting me know. I was quite concerned and still am. I hope your friends can get things worked out for them somehow.

1 Like

I’m sure they will. But I’m afraid wattpad won’t care.

1 Like

Oh no, now I am scared about mine. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Same. I am devastated. I had to just unpublish mine on Wp as a precaution. I’m so sad.

1 Like

I will copy my chapters on pages, just in case. It’s not like I did something wrong, but what you said kinda made me paranoid :neutral_face:

1 Like

Yeah. It really sucks.

1 Like

Yeah, I heard that happening from my Wattpad friends and they are moving to the other platform so their stories can be safe from the selfish people that reports the story with no reason.

1 Like

Yep. I’ve heard of this plenty. It’s why I keep offline backups of my work

3 Likes

I have backups of all of my stories for this reason. I also don’t plan on publishing anymore chapters or new stories until the issue has been addressed :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

And I’ve found an effective way to back up work faster.

This is why it’s good to have a backup copy somewhere else.

2 Likes

Yeah I also have backup incase this will happen.

3 Likes

Wattpad does check the reports to make sure the story actually violates the content guidelines of the website.

Every now and then people come and complain about their stories being removed ‘for no reason’ and it always turns out there was a reason. Here are the content guidelines: https://support.wattpad.com/hc/en-us/articles/200774334-Content-Guidelines

Read them. If you have followed them, you do not need to worry about your story being deleted.

However, it is always risky for people to have their stories up on Wattpad without hard copies on their computer/paper/whatever. Have backup copies of your work, no matter where you display it online or offline. That way, you’ll never run the risk that a site goes down or changes and you lose your story all together.

15 Likes

I’m afraid this is false. I know two writers, that were told due to not marking their book mature, and throughout the book it was marked not to mention before you even enter to read.

2 Likes