Stories with mermaids/mermen that...

… are not exclusively about romance.

It’s fairly easy to find stories involving merpeople on Wattpad, but finding ones that don’t have bare-chested mermen on the front, or have a description saying stuff like “will such and such girl from land choose the merman prince or her crush from land?”

Bonus points if it is a story that isn’t super dark, and doesn’t involve paranormal elements.
I’m a pretty lighthearted merboy, and I’m losing some of that energy cause’ there’s hardly any stories that are happy, and that center on us mermen. :merman:

Thanks for any submissions you give!

1 Like

Do sirens count? :joy:

I have a story with a siren in it that’s about and asexual MC, so any romance in it is pretty mellow :slight_smile:

@CurrentTheMerboy I’ve got a siren, if that interests you. There’s a romantic element for the first bit, but there’s also a war going on in the background. Plus my siren isn’t exactly a damsel in distress.Let me know though

1 Like

Hey! My book involves merpeople and the romance is only a subplot. The main genre is adventure/fantasy.
Title: The Ocean’s Queen
Summary: One storm can change the course of your life, just as one person can.

Katrina was raised to be a nobleman’s perfect little daughter but when a hurricane sinks her ship she is rescued by the most notorious pirate in the world. So, instead of growing up in a magnificent mansion with servants at her beck and call, she is raised at sea amidst cutthroats, learning how to wield a sword and fire a pistol. By the time she is 21 years old she is known as one of the most cunning pirates to sail the seas.

Life on the high seas seems set for Katrina until she catches a thief trying to steal her most valuable possession. Now, she is wrapped up in a race to control the power of the ocean and should she lose, no one will ever be safe on the seas again.

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/799165841-the-ocean’s-queen-in-the-eye

2 Likes

How 'bout selkies? I have a historical fic but even though it is pretty much a romance but that’s not necessarily the main theme. It’s mainly about family and what it means to be human. Post-WWI story so it deals with a lot of grief and loss, though at its heart it’s about kindness and goodness in the face of evil :blush: So plenty of hardship, but also sweet, tender moments.

Title: Seacliff
Genre: Historical Romance(ish)
Sub-genre: Fantasy
Blurb:
In 2019, Aidan is an Edinburgh tour guide with a mythical secret.

In 1919, Saoirse is a Great War nurse who’s got nothing left to live for - until the sea brings a naked, unconscious man to her feet.

Not one easily shocked after caring for the most broken of men in France, Saoirse takes the stranger in and tends to his wounds. Except the man is all kinds of unusual and she begins to question whether he even is a man at all. Is the grief driving her mad or is there more to the world that she ever thought possible?

Saoirse hopes to find answers in her aunt Aoife’s diaries, since the gentle giant she rescued from the sea has no recollection of how he ended up there in the first place.

1 Like

This looks intriguing. Though it doesn’t sound completely like what I’m looking for, I’ll take a look at a good book nonetheless.

1 Like

I’ll take a look at it. Thanks!

It depends. When people say “Siren” they usually are referring to the darker type of mermaid that is intent on drowning sailors.

I’m not really expecting any story about mermaids to have the lead mermaid be a damsel in distress (mermaids are often an archetype of a powerful free female protagonist). My co-tagonist is hardly a weak mermaid.

I’ll take a look at your story, but I’ll be honest, there’s so many dark mermaid stories. I’ll have to see though.

1 Like

@CurrentTheMerboy So this is my latest creation and book 1 in my Sirens series. There’s romance, but there’s also a war going on so there’s that. Voice of Desire. It’s a work in progress currently, but I update regularly. Hope you stop by and enjoy.

Blurb: Book 1 of the Sirens series
Inspired by the Sirens Myth of Greek Mythology
Somewhat inspired by the Little Mermaid fairytale

~*~

“A voice full of desire…But a heart full of pain.”

~*~

Aria Storm is the only child of Ignatius worthy of ruling Merlis. And soon after his death, she is crowned Queen. Everyone has always seen Aria as a little mermaid, small and pretty, but nothing more. So she seeks to prove them wrong and ends up becoming a powerful Queen. The problem is that her heart has experienced too much pain. From the loss of her parents to the betrayal of someone she loved, Aria is hurting. So when a human washes up on the shores of Merlis, Aria is faced with a choice, should she open her heart or close it off forever?

~*~

Caspian Sellers was journeying across the sea when he washed up on the shores of Merlis. He wakes up to a beautiful voice soothing him and sees an otherworldly beauty. He longs to know more this mysterious beauty and finds himself thrown into a world of sea creatures, secrets, and war. Will he discover the truth of Merlis? And just who is the beautiful creature that helped save his life?

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/215967451-voice-of-desire-sirens-book-1

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look at it.

1 Like

No worries. Hope you enjoy

Great! Hope you like it

This sounds super interesting!

1 Like

Thanks. Hope you enjoy it!

NANCY DREW THE SECRET OF MERMAID COVE**

32580414-256-k841593

Nancy Drew takes off on a trip for a much-needed relaxing vacation. Instead, she’s greeted by a strange gift shop, filled with hundreds of strange antiquities. Among them is a hidden mermaid figurine in a bottle, and quickly learns of its ancient legend, tinted with long-lost treasure. With her curiosity sparked Nancy goes out investigating but soon gets finds out there is more to this old legend than meets the eye. She must work quickly to unravel the age-old clues and outsmart some modern-day pirates.

Click the link below to read.

https://www.wattpad.com/102589652-the-secret-of-mermaid-cove-revamped-nancy-drew

1 Like

(https://www.wattpad.com/story/96281154-beyond-the-deep-water)

CLOSE YOUR EYES AND IMAGINE THIS WORLD.

Gods are created by a mighty force, a force to balance the universe, every galaxy, world, and life.

“You are not here to die.” The God clarifies with exasperation while he sees through the girl’s eyes, to read her mind and see every painful memory she keeps to herself and feel the profound pain she carries in her soul. A pain that makes Axl, the powerful God of the Water Region unable to retain his desire to help Camille. Help her heal from a traumatic life.

Camille is a beautiful girl full of sorrow and scars caused by someone she was supposed to trust her whole life. Just when she lost her hope of finding a better life. She opened a door to a new world. A world that takes her to stand face to face with a God. But why is she here? Why in a sacred world where no human can walk? Why does she hear voices calling out her name? What can she expect from an enchanting man, that looks so heartless but sincere at the same time?

“Welcome to the Gods World, my lady.” The angels greet her in unison.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.