Story Logic

Do you think keeping story logic consistent is important? Why or why not?

If I’m understanding the question, then yes, internal consistency helps readers to understand and process the story in the context of its setting.

It’s possible to have a “logic” that intentionally allows for seemingly fanciful things or for laws to seemingly change. The true logic would not change, it would always have allowed for those things to happen, it’s just that might only be revealed over the course of the story.

Do you ever think there comes a point where there’s just too much planning?

I mean, to me, who practices discovery writing, it is possible to have too much planning. But, I’d still use my editing process later to make sure things were internally consistent and make sense.

I may have a draft with some weaker aspects that don’t make sense, but I’d work to improve that.

Yes, it’s important. Otherwise, it may detract the reader from the story and they drop it.

Unless you can make something entirely chaotic yet have the madness contained within a planned outline. So maybe having a plot revolved around multiple characters or having unusual time jumps that all interlink.

Anyway, a story needs tp make sense as the reader reads it. If it doesn’t, then the story tends to get dropped seeing as the reader won’t make sense of it

I’m not sure what you mean by story logic, but I think you can play around with a lot of things in a story as long as the reader doesn’t feel cheated by the results.

Like if in the story, let’s say gravity doesn’t exist but it’s consistent throughout.

Things like that.

Oh, okay! Yeah, I’ll stick by my original opinion. I think it’s more important to build a reader’s trust than anything. Sometimes that means keeping things consistent, sometimes not. It really depends on what you’re trying to do with the story. Like, a novel that’s supposed to read like a fever dream will be illogical every chance it can get, but a mystery novel with a complicated plot will need a logical foundation for every clue and red herring to avoid becoming a mess when all the answers are revealed.

The logic of the fever dream story would be fever dream logic. It might seem illogical, but it’s consistent story logic in how it is illogical. It maintains consistency.

I like things internally consistent even if not always seeming consistent to the reader.

I’m struggling to see a scenario where inconsistent logic would be a positive thing?

If the MC is insane, or deemed crazy, you can write inconsistent logic into their perception :slight_smile:

Maybe you’re writing in first person POV and you want the narrator to be unreliable.

Depends on what you’re aiming for. For example stories were the MC is an alcoholic or does drugs should give you the impression that you too are hangover or drunk and you lose track of reality and time. I’ve read books that were like that and I loved them :slight_smile:

I couldn’t have worded this better.

o the horrors of story inconsistencies.

here’s why this is the worst thing to do in any story imho: story logic sets the stakes for any potential conflict that may arise. if mighty antagonist can bend gravity but cant fight against fishermen for whatever reason, then most readers will have a general sense for just how worried they should be for characters when in apparent danger.

breaking story logic means creating solutions for previous problems, meaning the characters are just making problems for themselves because they want to appeal to the desires of a reader they shouldnt know exists and t h a t s j u s t t h e w o r s t.

side note: i dont think human logic necessarily affects story logic. human logic is full of inconsistencies that are somewhat agreeable because it makes sense when considering factors such as emotions and exposure, i.e, misogynists who love their mother or sisters. and in the same way, illogical narrative due to drug influence or mental illness is inherently logical

In my older work, there was a distinction between objective reality, subjective reality, and another kind of reality where a kind of objective reality in greater subjective nuance was reached when one found the common elements within each one’s subjective realities.

This approach was most common in my Cyberpunk Fantasy world, set in a Fantasy Virtual Reality game.

Not the ones I’m thinking of, haha! I should’ve clarified that I was thinking about the literary fiction books I’ve read that came off like they were written by guys high off their minds. No logic, no consistency, just brain babble that somehow remains compelling.

Ohh, yeah, there’s some strange ones out there.

When I was younger I had a phase. Stupid snobby phase.

In that i really enjoyed “If on a winter’s night a Traveller”, it totes messes with logic as its a story within a story within a story.

Annoys the heck outta me now.

Inception, but without the cool scifi special effects?