I’m writing a MA thesis on the style of bestselling YA novels, and I’m trying to investigate what features of style are most important/ problematic for both writers and readers.
If you’re okay with being quoted in my dissertation, I’d like to ask you what aspects of style are most important for you as a reader and/ or writer. I’m researching the fields listed below, but if you have any other ideas, feel free to add them!
- choosing the right word, being direct and brief
- avoiding dead verbs
- simplicity rather than difficult vocabulary
- avoiding cliches (or not)
- sentence length
- using too many adverbs and adjectives
- Have you ever taken courses/ read books/ researched websites to improve your writing?
I don’t know if I’ll be able to quote all the answers, but I’ll read them carefully. And if you wish, I’ll send my thesis to anyone who contributed and wants to see it.
Thank you all in advance! Have a great day!