Superhero cliches

What are some of the worst superhero cliches?

EDIT: Just to specify, I’m referring more to local heroes like Batman than heroes with super powers

Knowing that they have the superpower all the time but never knew about it before…

9 Likes

Power strengthening/weakening when the plot demands it, and then when there’s a problem they magically get it back

14 Likes

Unspecified superpowers.

8 Likes

Yep, a freaking PLOT ARMOUR

5 Likes

Shutting others out and going on suicide missions because they dont want anyone else to get hurt.

Keeping secrets from others because they think they are “protecting” them.

10 Likes

When they have someone close to them die directly or indirectly because of the villain and that’s how they get their motivation back.

11 Likes

specifically on wattpad, girl gets rescued by a mysterious hot guy with superpowers who then stalks her for some reason

13 Likes

This! So much this!

1 Like

How they can never have stable relationships with women.

4 Likes

Honestly, my biggest grievance with super hero stories is the plot. It always follows the same road:

1. Introduce the character before he is a hero and show either how ordinary and downtrodden he is, or how arrogant and showboaty he is.

2. Create some personal disaster that drives him into his hero role.

3. Introduce the main baddy as having some weird grudge and being strangly obsessed with something in a terrorist kind of way.

4. Hero and villain fight for the first time. Hero loses badly and walks away to lick his wounds and grow a little character.

5. Baddy grows in strength and badness, threatening something very dear to the hero.

6. Hero comes up with elaborate plan and goes through the prep phase *cue montage *

7. Hero and villain face off again in epic battle that destroys a lot and seems pretty even until the end when hero has to take a chance on something related to his growth as a person.

8. Hero wins, villain is defeated and the city does a moral inventory to discuss the benefits or problems with vigilanties.

Every. Superhero. Story. Ever.

23 Likes

You’re not wrong.

Such truth…

Also, a lot of superheroes are flat characters. No dynamics or character development (personality wise)

3 Likes

True…

“NO KILLING” (but you can beat up someone until he’s crippled)

11 Likes

The fact that superheroes destroy towns/cities during a battle and no one cares? Marvel has gotten better at that, but still…

9 Likes

oh My gosh this one
How is that any better?

2 Likes

It should be a requisite to have a good insurance plan when you become a superhero. (You know, for damage fees.)

4 Likes

I know right! I mean, everyone else has insurance, why not you? It should be like in John Wick, just have a whole superhero business world.

6 Likes

IKR :joy: But seriously, the way superheroes fight… I’m just surprised that the villains are alive after.

2 Likes