Support each other

Anybody that needs support UNITE! We can start our own trend of spreading support, and following each other. Share your stories AND why you feel like you need support! I will be more than happy to support and help anybody. So no bashing, this is a help page! 100% help I will personally talk and support each one! Writers block? We can help! Feeling like you are not good enough? I will personally help you! This is hard enough, so let’s show some love and support!

I have a minor writer’s block rn, and a couple questions. I am at a part in my story where the main character needs to get good. I’ve set the outline to have him train for a month or two in physical combat, but I don’t know how to show it in the book. I’m planning on having the first training lesson in a chapter, but I doubt readers will want to read the main character progressing through a whole month of boring training. How would I do that? Do I skip to another POV for like 3 chapters then go back to him a month later? Do I just say a month has passed?

Idk what would seem realistic. I don’t want to just ignore him for a month and come back and he’s all the sudden strong, but I need him to be stronger than he is, and fast. The plot needs to move on and it can’t until he gets better.

1 Like

I would do a minor flashback of his training scenes. make it short, but also engaging. You could have him working out then flashback,be sure he takes pride in his progress also. That is how I would like to read it

1 Like

You can just tell it if you cant find your show, “After x amount of time training” or have a scene while he is training or just finishing and talk about it like its a thing that has been happening.

YES

but not like that. Too spongebob make it fluid

Shows do it all the time

true they do it all the time but it also depends on the writer. I think it would be best to do flashback to where you will not have to do a whole, completed scene that takes a long time but also not flash forward to where suddenly strong

1 Like

My advice to you is try to make a way so that the training is both interesting and adds a developmental factor to the character’s story arc. You can also use this time to introduce more plot/ conflict (internal or external) that is remedied or strived for by use of the training.

Edit: I’m not one for flashbacks especially if it is part of progressing plot. I do not like to waste any time with filler when I write. Everything I write is meant to convey at least two ideas: the development of plot and the growth/introduction of a character or skill

2 Likes

My story also has an extended training sequence including combat. I explained the first training session somewhat in depth, and have since touched on it in later chapters in one or two sentences. Saying something like, “I was sore from training” etc. I plan to include another training session that is clearly some time after the first that shows more advanced skills/the character’s improvement.

2 Likes

Ooofff, this is me. I know I should be writing the story for myself, but I can’t help the piece of me that has aspirations to truly write something people will love. When I started posting a month ago I didn’t realize how self-conscious I would be about my writing. I worry that it’s too cliche, follows too many fantasy tropes, my grammar isn’t good enough, it’s too boring etc.

3 Likes

Same here. I began writing for myself but then all the above mentioned took over. I have been on WP for about 10 mths now. so whatever you are feeling multiply it by 10 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The biggest thing is to write what you would want to read and trust me it would follow! I know it sounds stupid but if you believe in your stories then other people will too! Goes out to anybody. I will be more than happy to follow you and check out stories!

3 Likes

Yikes, I’ve been on wattpad for a long time, but only started publishing about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Ah okay. I have been seeing you on other forums lately:-)

Yikes I am horrible right now! just got message from my co-author so I will follow you both in just a sec!

giphy-1
I’m pretty much a newbie to the forums as well, just been bouncing around a lot. It’s fun and there’s so much to learn on here.

2 Likes

Forums are amazing! I got to learn a lot and made some good friends as well

2 Likes

I just started on forums too. I am hoping to spread as much support as I can. That is why I started this thread

2 Likes

That’s awesome. Honestly the wealth of knowledge on the forums is crazy and so many people are very nice and supportive. Which brings me to…

This is so nice that you are doing this! I love it. As someone new to sharing my stories publicly it’s so comforting to have threads and people within them that are just nice, wholesome people. So a huge thank you for setting this up.

I am on your story right now and omg! you are so good at narrative!

1 Like

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! That definitely helps with the aforementioned writing insecurity haha. This is the first time I’ve had anyone else read my creative works for over six years :sweat_smile: :see_no_evil:

@KroseWriter and @Kristina_Daniel If I can make a suggestion, please put a link to your WP profile in you profile here. It’s easier for potential reader to get to you. (A suggestion I found useful from the forums a long time ago)

3 Likes