Tales Of Wattpaders ( AKA Having a drink in the middle of a work day)

That’s true… I miss the traffic too but on the plus side, we have emojis in the new forum!!! :joy:

We do! Emojis are becoming my life. It makes me sound so much less aggressive :joy:

Not really, but that’s probably because I haven’t done a very good job of writing for adults. A good amount of my stories with adult characters (Chronicles of an American Beauty and an American Psycho, The Day We Forgot The Guitarist) were fanfics written largely with a teenage audience in mind. My only real foray in attempting to write adult characters for an adult or mixed adult/teenage audience was Spotlight, and I didn’t do a great job of writing mature characters (then again, I was 17, and most of the MCs were rock stars who weren’t particularly mature people anyways). The Piano Knows Something I Don’t Know is more NA than adult fiction, and the style was a bigger departure from what I was usually writing at that time than the age of the characters. Strangely enough, the protagonist of Smooth Sailing is one of the youngest protagonists that I’ve written in the last year or two (she’s sixteen), and that book gets the most adult readers out of all of my works. I suspect that it’s because there’s more concentration on the parents and extended family than is typical for YA romance.

But do you guys think a line must be draw sometimes writing it is necessary in any way? @AWFrasier

I don’t think I’ve read anything like this before.

I 100% agree here. I’m not against including rape in a story if it’s plot-relevant, but there’s no need to describe it in detail, especially since it may be triggering for some readers. Necrophilia is just not okay.

Oh, that’s true, and the Community probably has less drama just because there are fewer people. It’s just a shame that a lot of people didn’t make the transition here.

I enjoy reading and writing coming of age romance that told in mutiple facets of love - the kind that is rich in detail and suspenseful.

Hi Bee.

Howdy. I’m J.G.Aker. Call me Jay, I guess that would work best. I’ve been on WP since 2014(?), but I deleted it once I started college due to a lack of time, and the amount of hate mail I started to accrue from an inconsistent upload schedule. I’m back now as I’m entering my senior year and things are more relaxed, I have some more time, and I have a couple of reader groups on facebook where I get a lot of my feedback from. I loved the community on here while I was on and thought I’d give it another go.

One of my catchphrases is “Everything is okay when it’s done right.”

But personally I draw the line with rape. There’s almost never a time where it’s necessary to include the actual scene unless something super plot relevant happens in the middle of it. Like aliens appearing or something.

@epichorn31 and yep. Writing about rape and the repercussions and shit is totally fine. Including the whole rape and making it overly graphic? I rarely see a point to that besides shock factor. And it’s a shock I’d rather be without, tbh.

I think the strong core did. That’s what I’m telling myself :joy:

Hello, I’m from the Philippines and I’ve been writing since the late 90’s.
I started out making comics, but then I met real artists and realized how horrendously bad my drawings are, so I decided to write instead.
I’ve been in wattpad since 2014 but only started taking writing seriously in 2017, where I submitted a novel to a local publication. Miraculously, it passed. It even got sold.
So, I am here to get feedback for my work, problem is, most of them are in tagalog/filipino and it’s so hard to get good criticism now a days :frowning:
currently, I have several stuff with my editor, stuff which I am not sure will make it… and waiting for feedback is such a pain… I guess that’s why I’m in wattpad, to get feedback, which I can never get enough of (or the right kind) and I don’t even know why I’m ranting here…
haaaa… anyways, thanks for the drink… and I’ll push my luck with the nuts.

I miss NA = adventure, mystery, action, suspense, thriller

Very interesting! There’s something about romance stories that just I can’t stop reading them…

Hi, here’s another one on the house. :tumbler_glass:

I think a line must be drawn too. And a warning beforehand, so readers know what they’re getting into.

What are you expectations as a writer and an Ambsador this year? :blush:

Hi, Nice to meet! The nuts were just refreshed, so I think you are good.

Congrats on the published novel! :beers: Cheers!
What was it like to get it published?

What kind of feedback are you looking for?

And hey, this is a virtual pub, no better place to rant from time to time… :slight_smile:

Hey! Nice to meet you! Are you drinking anything?

I think we’ll all get the hate mail at some point. I like to look at the bright side and see people actually love the story and cant get enough hahaha but yeah it can suck too.

What do you write?

I still can’t believe it… actually, I wasted a lot of time, keeping my stories to myself, thinking that I wanted to release my stories with my friends, in the end, I finally realized that I needed to work on it on my own. And yes, I still can’t believe it’s out. Kinda makes you think that you should have done it years ago…
The book - a light novel, actually made it to top two – BUT it was only a list made by the publishers, and of course, being a new title, it would sell a bit, but that’s that, I guess, it was out of the list the next month. And I’m still waiting for bad reviews.
I’m still looking for critiques. I have this problem of thinking that I wrote something wrong and that I might offend someone with what I wrote. (that’s why I still can’t believe I got published – and not get any backlash yet)

The kind of feedback . . . I prefer blunt criticism. I tend to not believe people when they say that my work is perfect. Nothing is perfect.

I guess you’re starting to see what my problem is XD
I really need a drink . . . something sweet would be nice :smiley:

Reader/Writer. I’ve been on Wattpad for three-ish years now I think. I used to just write for NaNoWriMo and never thought anyone would ever see my work. Then when I found Wattpad I was so happy! Finally I got to share my stories and I’ve met a lot of cool people along the way. It’s definitely grown my confidence as a writer at least.

Here is a Mojito. :cocktail: Hope it’s sweet enough.

Ahh Validation, right? Aren’t we all looking for it in a way or another?

Have you heard of Imposter Syndrome? I first heard about that last year, and I think we writers tend to suffer from that.

It’s basically: ( extract from: https://writersedit.com/fiction-writing/impostor-syndrome-can-writers-overcome/)

"First identified by clinical psychologists Pauline Clance and Suzanne Imes in 1978, impostor syndrome refers to feelings of fraud and self-doubt experienced mainly by high-achieving individuals.

These individuals are convinced that they are not really knowledgeable, skilled or talented in their area of expertise – that they have somehow fooled people, scammed their way to success, and will be exposed sooner or later as the fraud they really are.

People suffering from impostor syndrome often downplay or disregard concrete evidence of talent or success, instead believing 100% in their supposed inadequacy and inauthenticity."

Hi there! Nice to meet you! Are you drinking anything?

I’ve seen you around too. You’re a Next Writer, right? :blush:

What do you read/write?