The 500 Word Weekend Write-In Discussion Thread

Please us this thread to ask questions, or discuss anything related to the 500 Word Weekend Write-In (which can be found here: The 500 Word Weekend Write-In )

(This thread is a continuation of the old forum thread: https://www.wattpad.com/forums/discussion/1160722/writeon-writing-prompts/#Item_786 )

The 500 Word Weekend Write-In
Is the Short Story an orphan on WattPad?

The weekend writein for Aug 17 2018 is now posted:

[The 500 Word Weekend Write-In]

It’s true. Really.

YES!!

Should we post them here now, Paul?
As well? Or only here from now on?

I think only here would be best, starting right away. We’ll have to come up with a punishment system for the non-compliants. Death?

Heehee! I will be first cab off the rank here for once!
Like this?

In Spirit

Yeek! Punishment? AGAIN?? Bread and water and no pencil or paper in the deepest darkest corner of WP??

Ooooh, yes…this is much nicer than the thread in the old clubs. I hate the tiny round avatars here compared to the bigger, square avis in the clubs, but ya can’t have everything. ( -.-)(^◡^ )

Thanks for taking the initiative to continue the prompts and discussion here, Paul.

Hi Michael, I already like it better than the old one. And we can set up a vote here, so once we get settled in we can decide if we want to stick with tags, or go to the book/chapter approach to the weekly challenges.

Do you happen to have a link to a challenge where they do it the other way; I’d like to check out the pros and cons of it.

Akje! I remember when you were just a baby rectangle. Life’s funny.

Congrats to all of us for the move! thank you @mediocrebrit for organizing it!

I’m pleased you find this better, Paul. I do as well because it looks and feels like a real forum.
I don’t have a link handy, but I’ll see what I can find.

Everyone’s saying this is so much better… but it’s different. It’s a change. I have to familiarize myself with strange territory… Aarrgh! grumble grumble

Okay, I got that off my chest. My big question is… can I follow the thread “the-500-word-weekend-write-in” so I get notification of the weekly prompt? (the way I’ve been doing it prior to this was simply to follow WriteonWriters)

I saw the thread’s bookmark option, so I did that. But won’t that require separately logging onto wattpadwriters?

Hi Joyce, Good point. We should probably wait for Michael’s reply. But over on the right of this post, just under the vertical sliding bar, is a little circle. Click that and you get four options, the top one being ‘Watching’, to be ‘notified’ when there is a new post. There is also an identical option right under the posts in a rectangle under ‘bookmark’.

The problem is, I have not received any notifications since I started the thread. I get a little number within my avatar at the top to let me know something new has happened, but I’m not getting any emails, so I’m not sure how to actually receive an actual notification.

Change is as good as a holiday??

The 500 word weekend write-in prompt for Aug 24 2018 is now available:

[The 500 Word Weekend Write-In]

500 words, with a new prompt every Friday. Everybody is welcome!

Hi. another new social online place to become accustomed to. I’m sure my brain will adjust. Change is supposed to be good for us, isn’t it?

Christine seems to think so. I hate change. It should be banned.

Ha. Thank you so very much for organising this and the prompts. I will try and remember to add my story here. I am home this weekend so should be posting soon.

I got the prompt notice just fine, same as it’s ever appeared in my Notifications box. Good!
I wrote a story and posted it in my Works, and sent out a message to my followers. Okay.
Now do we say anything on this discussion thread? The welcome message says “Make sure you’re not posting a link to your story – ads are only allowed in the SYS threads.”

I think the email is thanks to Michael, because we subscribed to the ‘WriteonWriters’ group. Or are you saying you got one because of being in this thread (or the other 500 thread)?

Posting a link is apparently not allowed. Even hinting at it, like “my story called <…>” seems debatable. There’s another thread going (one of the ‘short story’ threads) where they are talking about it.

Of course, you could always see what happens :slight_smile:

Oh, just read again, you are saying a notification box. Yes, that probably works, but I was wanting an email so I didn’t need to be logged in here.