The 500 Word Weekend Write-In Discussion Thread

My vote is for the one about the Great Dismal Swamp.

It’s very easy to relate to, as almost everyone in your audience is going to have an experience with a parent knowing you did something bad, but not being certain about it.

I think it would be easier to read aloud than some of your others. I could imagine this one being told aloud at a bar as a true story between two drunks regarding times they shouldn’t have been on the road.

1 Like

The 500 word weekend write-in prompt for Sep 13 2019 is now available:

[The 500 Word Weekend Write-In]

500 words, with a new prompt every Friday. Everybody is welcome!

You know about Friday the 13th, right?

Worse than any black cat -

pic.twitter.com/RNAvgrr8MD

—)

Maybe this submission isn’t so “odd” after all…

A bit of fan fiction. Does anyone want to go for a joyride with An Odd Lot?

Well, I’ve been keeping some Odd Hours.

1 Like

I’ll pick two - one from your Weekend Write-Ins, the other from elsewhere.

So - my choices are The Skunk in the Trunk and A Grifter in the Drifters.

Depends what you count as an ‘authentic accent’. I vary somewhat between North Belfast and North Down, depending on how drunk I am.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Large swaths of skunk in the trunk are in fact a true story, when I was little more…unruly.

Took me most of the day to come up with something. Here’s what I landed on: The Newest Exhibit

I totally forgot, thanks for the reminder :grin: time for some pre-Halloween scary/ supernatural movies.

Both hemispheres appearing at the same time? Now that’s not just odd… it’s bizarre!
But just maybe… ?

Upover or Downunder?

Ahh thank you, sleepy. It is indeed a treat, even with my warby old voice.
Maybe, as these two characters are most mature (?) gents, my voice suits them.
And I surely know where I want the em-phas-is to land!
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to hear our stuff? SO enjoyable to hear all the accents - even young Neddy, sober or otherwise!
And your dear self, burning up the airways in between naps?
Sadly I have no such skills but I wonder if anyone among us has?
I belong to a FB writer’s group that has done that for several months - but having to sadly call ‘barleys’ - unable to continue with the heavy load AND make own podcasts and write own stories, too.
Again, needing that rare creature who can devote his/herself to this task almost totally.
BIG ask!

OK Neddy… wot’s the going price at the WP bookie’s place? And address?
(Being the only story to have ‘made it’ to THE LIST to date)
Or have you had an insider ‘nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no more’ type tip?

I’m not sure I do but my sister might. Lucky for me she is only a block away. Looks like there are some pretty simple apps like Anchor we might give it a try if there is a quorum of folks interested.

1 Like

Let’s hear it, folks… a small ROAR of approbation will do!

47232734_937335616463717_2174337342607720448_n

If I had a secret to this, I would share it - trust me!

It’s good reviews on the App Store, and it’s free. I wonder what the catch is … .

I have time off on Monday to muck with it, but if you can test it before then let us know.

Maybe tomorrow. End of summer barbecue with friends down in Coventry today.

Right - I had a look at Anchor, or at least the iOS version. It is genuinely free, and it is easy to use. And, as advertised, it will publish to a lot of platforms for you. You can also link to any social media accounts you might have - for those of you who pay attention to that sort of thing. So,far, so good. There are a few drawbacks, though.

First the technical drawbacks. Editing on the platform is a dog of the female persuasion. You can do some editing, but it is in the line of stitching clips together. Try excising something from the middle of a clip and - ugh. But, if you don’t want to do anything fancy (or anything you need Bandcamp for) then you’re good. And if you do have Bandcamp, then you can always stitch your stuff together in that before uploading. Reminds me - I must have a play with mine. I used to be OK-ish at the Apple video software. How bad can this be?

Next, the commercial drawbacks. There are two reasons why Anchor is free. First, Anchor is reported to brand everything liberally with their corporate image. So, you’d better be sure that you agree with them as a corporation. Second, podcasts are published under Anchor’s accounts - not yours. So, anyone looking for your 'cast on (say) iTunes will have to look for it under the Anchor storefront. This means you are reliant on them for reporting on your stats and (if you want it) any revenue earned. Anchor are not doing this for free. They take a hefty chunk of any moneys that might be earned.

This also raises the question of ownership. It’s a thorny area, and Anchor give the usual assurances: “Everything you do is owned by you blah blah blah.” And they give the usual caveats: “Although we reserve the right to do stuff with your stuff for publicity purposes.”

Than again, we’ve all published stuff here, right?

I will admit my assessment is slightly sceptical, but that’s my take on it. the things you can do while cooking Sunday breakfast.

2 Likes