The 500 Word Weekend Write-In Discussion Thread

Man, when I started on WO I would get pages of corrections, as some of you here know, and contributed! I say bring it on, as long as it’s helpful and not hurtful. That’s how you grow as a writer. On this site, I have to say I’m somewhat reluctant to unless I know they want it. I’m good with Paul’s (The Grand Master!) plan of action. JDee

I encourage critique, Yvonne, and my writing continues to grow because of it. My current work-in-progress, begun in January, has over 2500 comments in only 2700 reads. And though many of these were ego-boosts, a fair share showed me things I had missed, as well as ways to improve the story.

I’m in the all-feedback-welcome category, too. Once in a while I’ll even explicitly ask for reader feedback on a particular aspect.

Cool. I’m all for feedback, too!

Feedback of all types welcome. I studied science so grammar does not come naturally to me. Happy to have typos pointed out and structural suggestions. I admit that emoji happy faces are cute but are not as helpful in helping me grow as a writer.

I like it all! Encouragement and constructive criticism are appreciated. I’m amazed at the glaring errors I’m blind to, or just never learned, or forgot, or ignored. :smile:

Winter is coming early this year. I just have a feeling.

I like all the feedback I can get. I like people being being honest with me. I got told most of my life from friends and family (who were the only ones I knew of to give my writing to) “It’s great!” But that was it, no real feedback. In a way, I felt like they didn’t really care about my writing. By saying “it’s great” I felt they were being dismissive. Like “tell her it’s great and she will go away and not make me read her silly stories”. Being in groups like this has been extremely helpful. I’ve really grown as a writer over the past several years because I received some honest feedback from other writers and from readers who weren’t people I know in the real world. I like Positive or Negative feedback as long as it’s something helpful. If it’s positive and someone wants to say it’s great, I’d appreciate you saying why you think it’s great so I can apply that to my writing in the future. If it’s terrible, please tell me why you think it’s terrible.

This is probably how many people feel about feedback.

On Wattpad, you should ask the writer first. I’ve gone in and just made some helpful comments and got chewed out for it. A lot of teenagers are on Wattpad that just write for fun and to try impress their friends. For the most part, the grownups seem to want feedback and help spotting typos. But do make it a habit of asking first. It’ll save you some grief.

Heh. I just ran into this. A person put a book into a club for review. I started in on my usual editing. The chapter is atrocious and is ungodly long. An hour and a half later, I decide to take a break… only to find a message from the author that they don’t intend to ever edit it and to just read and comment on the story.

Lesson (I suppose)? Ask what the author is looking for BEFORE you get pissed off that they don’t know a comma from a period.

Here is the blurb for my story "Dead Family Day"

Many frustrated Americans couldn’t inherit their relatives’ wealth. After two nuclear bombs detonated, people in the blast radius should have died. However, they defied science and did not completely die. Many heirs of the dead became furious with a U.S. Supreme Court ruling. The Court decided that descendants could not discharge the wills of the “apparently dead” if the person was only “partially dead” (the so-called “partials”). Politicians came up with a solution for these outraged citizens: pass a law that murder of partials is not illegal, and then allow descendants to enter the containment area to kill off their partially dead relatives. Julia, the Containment Chief Administrator, is firmly set against this new policy. Can she undermine its implementation, while also prevent the partially dead from escaping?

The 500-word chapter for transparency Browser Herstory

The 500-word chapter for vacation Attaché headCase

I wrote a blog post about giving and taking criticism. If you have any aspirations of being writer (hobbyist or serious), you need to learn how to sort through what is helpful and what is nasty in terms of criticism. You will encounter both.

If you post your work to site a site such as this one, you should expect feedback. People who get irritated with corrections, suggestions and so forth should expect a steady flow of rejection letters. You will never learn anything about the craft.

There are a lot of young people on here, they comprise the majority of the writers on Wattpad. Most dive in with an unrealistic view, believing they are going to churn out instant best-sellers on their first draft. Hearing otherwise might be upsetting to them, but comments from other Wattpad writers is only the first of many critiques (none of which will praise your writing and commend you on absolutely perfect writing).

Comment away, I say. I have the power to choose whether to decide if your feedback is helpful or something else. It isn’t going to break me or hurt my feelings. And for those whose feelings do get hurt by constructive (or even nasty) criticism, life will be rough. Just wait until you get a mother-in-law.

Aw, you’re only saying that because yours is pretty flawless! At least from what I’ve seen so far! :slight_smile:

I wish, but thanks. I am well-practiced, having written professionally (as a news reporter and later a tech writer) for the past 20 years. If I can’t turn a phrase by now, I’ll never be able to.

When we were WriteOn, the site was full of people there for all sorts of different reasons. The serious writers would of course want honest critiques, but there were also young and first time writers who were there because they found writing to be an enjoyable pastime.They didn’t care if their spelling or grammar was correct, and they most likely would have been deflated and given up if anyone had said anything harsh. There were also more serious writers who, although they might have said they wanted honest appraisal, they really didn’t, unless it was positive. Most of us learned quickly which authors fell into which category.

We also learned which ones we enjoyed, and which we didn’t, either because their writing was awful, or not a genre we were interested in, or whatever. So, for those writers, the unspoken word was that if you didn’t have anything nice to say, better to say nothing at all, and move on.

We have tried to carry on that philosophy here, hence our one rule, in the 500 word weekend write-in, of “be nice”. If people want to write without criticism, for whatever reason, I think we need to respect that decision.

Well said, Paul. We can’t assume that all writers want the same thing but we can assume honest encouragement is good for everyone. I’ll also bring up friendly disagreements. I’ve seen our mature writers respectfully disagree with a critique, they appreciate another view and the chance to test what they’ve written. I learn a lot from these exchanges. Neither side becomes offended, it’s a healthy part of our writing culture. This group has created a safe place to grow and explore and mess up and enjoy this worthwhile quest. I’m thankful to be a part of you.

As an avowed practitioner of the “be nice” rule when it comes to reviews, I am glad I found this group and that it follows the same philosophy. Reviewing/critiquing is a writing art form unto itself.

When I come across something that hits me the wrong way in someone’s work, I first (and always) ask myself, “Is this a personal preference of mine, or a genuine issue in the writing?” Often times it’s me.

I’ve read and reviewed my share of terrible work, and I can honestly say there is almost always at least one redeeming quality even in bad writing: a good idea, good pacing, etc. I tend to focus on those things mostly.

I’m tired of my friends and family telling me “It’s good.” Their feedback begins and ends there. Doesn’t help me a bit. I love hearing all of your opinions on my work here, it helps me understand the nuances of catching the biggest audience with the smallest net. :slight_smile:

I rarely get feedback from my family, so its nice to be part of a community that I can share my passion for writing, with. I usually restrict my own comment feedback to point out occasional typos and grammar errors - I appreciate when someone does that for me and am happy to have things I missed pointed out, so I can correct them.

Other than that, unless someone has specifically asked me for an in depth crit, I will restrict my remarks to the above and commentary on the story and what I like about their writing.

My one rule, which falls into the ‘be nice’ category, is always vote on a piece of writing on WP. Its my way of showing respect for the efforts of all writers I choose to read, from the enthusiastic beginner to the polished old hand.

As Deb mentioned above, if a commenter wants to point out my flaws or word placement or a stylistic choice, I am happy about that and 80% of the time will make a change, but sometimes I will defend a choice for those stylistic reasons. Naturally its very nice to have people say good things about my writing, but feel free to tell me when you think something stinks. I can then decide if that person has a point or an opinion - if the latter, I am free to disagree.

I’ve only had an attacking comment on here once on my erotica/bad writing parody Dirty Sexy Kinky Book - I was told something along the lines of WTF. And that my book should never have been written and it was weird etc - they also threw in a comment about sickening book, sickening writer or a similar personal insult. I enthusiastically responded that they were a person of impeccable taste and had totally got the point of the book, and thanked them profusely for their comment - never heard back!

You better still be writing that book! I for one am STILL waiting for it to be uploaded to Amazon so I can read it on my Kindle. *taps foot and waits*