The Big Thread On How To Get Reads

reads
promotion

(This thread was originally by Scripturite, but it appears they’re now inactive. Scripturite, if you want your thread back, just holler and I’ll take this one down for you)

And now for the tips.

Resources

A lot of this information and more can already be found in the Story Services category

Book Clubs
Either work in pairs or work in groups. It differs how each book club is run, so find one that works for you. Some have three featured books every week, and you’ll critique one chapter of each book. Some pairs you up with another book club member, and you’ll do however many chapters is required.

WARNING: Some book clubs are better than others; Some clubs are generally read for reads and some are super in-depth and offer lots of feedback and critique. Ask around to figure out which offer honest critiques, and which are just read boosters.

Critiques

Do not ask for Critiques if you are not going to make any changes. Asking for critiques just to get reads while never intending to change the story at all, is frowned upon. Ask because you’re ready to do the work and receive the advice of your fellow Wattpadders.

Writing Buddies

Writing buddies offer in-depth one on one help with each other’s novels. Typically you get as much as you give, so keep that in mind if you plan on ghosting your buddy. (But don’t do that. That’s really shitty.)

Beta Readers

Completed novels can hire Beta Readers to provide whole novel help. Again, this is hit or miss with success but it never hurts to try. Hire as many as you can get, as the more eyes you get on a finished draft, the better.

Awards (there are currently no award advertising area - but use the search function, both here and on the main site, to find them)

Even if you don’t win, participating in small and large Awards Competitions can help get your book out in front of judges and other participants.

Guides

Offer Something of Your Own;
Do you have skill that others would “pay” you to perform? Do you make covers, trailers, draw, edit, or want to be a Beta Reader yourself?

You can offer any skill with the payment being to read and comment on your story. This is a great way of gaining reads, as you are essentially forcing people to check out your book in exchange for your services. that sounded bad but I swear it’s not

Just keep in mind how much effort this will be on your part, as you must provide the service and that is a time-consuming process.

Do not skimp or scam your customers just to gain reads like a lousy asshat

Even beta-reading and/or critiquing books in the same sub-genre as your books, gets your name out there. Other readers might see you in the comment section and want to check out your stuff. Don’t advertise your book or even think about sliding an ad in there when you’re critiquing other people’s books.

You can also try and venture outside of your own genre as that might broaden your horizon even more.

Sumbit to an “Offical Reading List”;
Wattpad actually has official genre accounts where you can submit your story and get it added. These lists help readers find stories they like and might gain you some attention if you are added. Not all stories will be added.

Genre Main Accounts: @Action, @Adventure, @ChickLit, @classicauthors, @Fanfic, @Fantasy, @HistoricalFiction, @fright (Horror), @humor, @lgbtq, @mystery, @nonfiction, @ParanormalCommunity, @WP_Poetry, @Romance, @ScienceFiction, @ShortStory, @Spiritual_Universe, @TeenFiction, @werewolf, @WattVampires

These are just the main Genre accounts. There are also many other official accounts for niche genres and official accounts for other other languages.

Movements and subgenre accounts:
@YA, @ProfileMentalHealth, @retold, @_SteamPunk, @anime, @Ghost, @urban, @PsychologicalNovel @superhero, @TheFaeFolk, @mythandlegend, @magic, @talesofthedeep, @_Once_Upon, @starwarsfans, @BeyondSol, @WattThology, @WattSupernatural, @childrensfiction, @dystopianapocalypse, @MicroBytes, @crime, @sport, @WattFest, @adultfiction, @WattRiverdale, @Spiritual_Universe, @ForbiddenWorlds, @beauty, @military-fiction, @flashfic, @WattRowling, @historical-romance, @_creepy_pasta, @OUATfans, @NoMoreBullying, @music, @BACommunity, @multimedia, @_Dark_Fantasy, @RoleplayCommunity, @Wattpunk, @CoffeeCommunity

Details for submitting your story is usually found on the profile somewhere.

Unofficial Community Profiles
There are also many Member run group and community profiles that offer reading lists with submission options. These can typically be found by searching your genre plus “community” or “group” and doing a little digging. This is good for niche authors or those looking for more variety. Suggested by @KaranSeraph

Following official accounts and unofficial communities can help keep you updated on new contests.

Profile specifically aimed at undiscovered authors and works:

@UndiscoveredBooks

Suggestions

Make Your Story Findable
Making your story as findable as possible helps more people, well, duh, find it!

Tags
Adding tags to your story can help those looking for stories like yours find them. Tags also now have the function of ranking, so there is no reason to be skimpy. We have the ability to add 25 - use all 25. Try and use popular and less popular tags. Avoid using very specific tags as the chances of someone searching for that tag is small.

Share Your Story Boards
There is one on each genre board. While generally not very successful, this is a way of sharing your story. Just keep in mind this isn’t very successful so don’t get super bummed when the reads don’t start pouring in after you post your story here. Go here #share-your-story to go to the SYS club.

Make Your Story Desireable

Obviously, your story needs to look like a good story in order for people to want to read it. There are a good number of ways to achieve this easily, so don’t fret!

Update Regularly
If your book isn’t finished, updating on a regular schedule is highly suggested. Fridays and Saturdays are shown to be best and try scheduling your updates around your most popular demographic or area, so you aren’t updating when they are asleep. Suggested in part by @KECass

Having a Good Cover
That cover you made in MS paint that is pixelated beyond belief is not helping. Go to the Multimedia Board to request a new one. Also, do research in your genre. How do other book covers look? Get inspired and try to be as specific about your wishes to a cover maker as possible.

Having a Good Opening Blurb
There are a lot of resources for this on the #improve-your-writing club.

Reader Retention Practises
Even on a first draft, use good grammar, punctuation and sentence structure to increase your reader retention.

Be Grateful
Follow up Comments by thanking the reader or asking a question about the comment.

Follow up Votes and Follows by Thanking the reader on their own profile.

This could sometimes increase the amount of feedback, as the reader sees you want to hear more from them. And could help them finish your book sooner, as they feel appreciated as a reader.

The more active you are, the more people want to comment. No one wants to just comment into a void. So be loud!

Suggested by @Perci_Snickedy

The Boards and How to Use Them to Get Reads!

There are many ways to use the boards that could help you get reads, BUT, the most important thing is, do not self-promote on boards! By doing so you will only earn the scorn of those around you and ensure fewer people will check out your books since they are so annoyed with you. Seriously, it’s just bad form.

Also, Never under any circumstances post a direct link to your book. Even if you are trying to be helpful by providing an example or even if someone says “link me to your book”, you cannot do this. This is a direct breach of the guidelines.

How to “self-promote” properly on Wattpad Boards
Be a presence on your genres’ boards, related boards, and the IYW board.

The best thing to take part in is boards asking you to participate with something from your book. “Get your title rated” “Get your cover rated” “Get your blurb rated” Etc etc.

There are also critique threads in pretty much all genres. Use the search function to scope them out and remember to follow the rules of the thread.

Not only does this help you improve whatever is being rated and connect with other authors, someone might come along and think your blurb sounds super cool and decide to check out your book. I myself have gotten several readers through that method.

Be active and helpful , either on the IYW Board or Genre Boards, by participating in discussions and by helping answer questions. Sometimes, to show their appreciation, the one asking the question will check out your book and read or vote on it. Sometimes they might follow you.

Again, this rarely happens, so don’t try being helpful only expecting some kind of payment like an asshat . But if you are bored and want something to do, being an active helpful member of the boards could help you in the long run.

The Featured List

Is by application again. Go here to find out more: Incoming Changes to Featuring

Join the Wattys

Even if you don’t get on the Long- or Shortlist, just adding the tag and joining the different support threads can help boost your book. Don’t miss out on the biggest Wattpad event of the year! Use the tag #Wattys2019 to join next year’s Wattys, when it opens (probably in June)

Join the Paid Programme

Joining something like the Wattpad Paid Programme can be something that propels your work to the next level. Getting in, you need a book with at least 8k reads on your profile. The book you apply with must have at least 10k words - or be completed. Besides that, you need to have written a good story.

You can find more infomation and apply here: Paid Stories Update ft Nick

Patience.

This is the step that is the most overlooked. Rome wasn’t built in one day and neither will your fanbase. It’s about honing people in, making them stay, interacting and continue to be active. This will take time. It’s rare to actually pass 1k reads on your first story within your first year. So be patient. Follow the steps in this guide and keep doing it. One week of doing all of this will not get you 100k reads with a snap of a finger.

Other helpful threads:

Ok! Open to anyone wanting to offer suggestions! If you want, link a guide or resource you like and I might add it to the above slots.

Keeping Motivation to Write When No One's Reading Your Story
How do you promote a new story?
How long did it take for your Fantasy story to hit 100 reads or more?
What do you think of "read my story!" PMs/messages
Who else just started working on a book?
Advice for a seriously NEW newcomer
Any tips for getting reads? :) Thnx Xxx
Are we entitled to reads?
C L O S E D
Unknown Authors
Self-Promotion on Wattpad?
New to writing and the forums.
Anyone else frustrated because you have low reads and story interaction?
Anyone else frustrated because you have low reads and story interaction?
Been lurking for quite some time, but have a question for community...
Turn ranking into readership?
Generic (and Non-Helpful) Writing Advice
How do you deal with writer's crash
Fellow Undiscovered Writers 9 (now open!)
boosting activity
Fellow Undiscovered Writers 9 (now open!)
How do you get people to read your story?
Kale's Masterlist of Free Writing Resources
How to get people to look at my stuff on wattpad?
Kale's Masterlist of Free Writing Resources
Million Dollar Question - How best to grow readership?
What's a 'good' number of views?
Anyone wants to discuss about their writing experience?
On Becoming a prolific writer
So, I'm a writer and reader...but have no clue what I'm doing!
how does one get more votes?
We need more friends 19.2
STORY HELP!
How does wattpad work??
In Need of more Readers, Votes and Feedback....
Struggles in coverage
Tips On Getting Story Out There
When You Are A New Member or New Writer (readership struggles)
Tips On Getting Story Out There
LGBT+ Writer's Group!
New To Wattpad... Anxiety Kicks In With Trying To Be Creative.
It's hard to get noticed here
The real friends club
The real friends club
Help with more reads??
To the Writers Who've Been on Wattpad for a Period of Time
To the Writers Who've Been on Wattpad for a Period of Time
Ask the Ambassadors Anything
New Writers & Elder Writers
I NEED HELP?!?
Lost... My new and first book. Please help me get it out there
Advice for a seriously NEW newcomer
How many reads do you have?
Share How Many Reads Your Fantasy Has New Threads Edition 1
Any tips on getting more people to read your story.
What are your vampires like?
Fellow Undiscovered Writers 8
How To Get Your Story Noticed
ONLINE? How can I find my Audience?
Questions I Have About Writing
What Makes a Good Wattpad Story?
Welcome Vampire Reader, Writers, and Lovers!
Werewolf Readers, Writers, and Lovers! Come talk 🐾
How to get people to give your novel a chance?
Not Welcome On WattPad.
Posted two stories, I have a total of 30 reads
Fellow Undiscovered Writers 7
What to Do (Before & After) Publishing
Posted two stories, I have a total of 30 reads
LGBT+ Writer's Group!
Find my audience
LGBT+ Writer's Group!
Payment for reads, your thoughts
Why is wattpad so harsh?
Gaining More Readers
How many reads do you have?
In which writers try to write their damn book.
In which writers try to write their damn book.
Why specific genre cliches still get more read than any other genre- Vent, theory, struggling
how to get my followers to read more of my works
what more can I do for my story?
I joined Wattpad when I was 14 - I'm now returning at the age of 22.
how to promote your novel (i'm not promoting mine here just asking ) i'm not breaking any rule here :D
Any new ways to promoting your work that doesn't break the rules?
How did you draw in readers?
How do you manage second (and subsequent) stories?
What do you think of people just following others looking for follows?
How long should it take for a story to become 'discoverable'?
Readers
How to have more reads?
what attracts readers?
Question for Writers!
Good ideas for promoting stories?
First Time Writers
Marketing and Popularity on Wattpad
First Time Writers
Under 5K Reads Club
How do you motivate yourself to continue writing?
Why is it so hard to get reads?
Trust Levels: What are they and how do they work
Wattpad for dummies!
To all the writers, how can I gain readership?
Questions For Any Writer
How do I get more views?
How to get views for a new story guys?
Dear 8k+ Writers, How?
Dear 8k+ Writers, How?
Writers With Books Under 1k Reads
How do you promote your book?
How can people discover my story?
Building a Fanbase again
Am I the only one who feels super unpopular?
Am I the only one who feels super unpopular?
How do I get more reads/How to capture reads so they continue to read?
HELLO MY SUBJECTS
I need wattpad friends...
Help
Question Regarding Self Promotion
How to branch myself out there with my books?
How to get more people to read your poetry's :(
Story rankings drop to the very bottom after completion?
People don't read my story - what about you?
How To get readers?
Feature Idea for Undiscovered Books/Writers
Reader Engagement
Accomplishments - 5
FRIENDSHIP 3.0
Starting out on Wattpad
Newb Attack on Wattpad!
Worst Ways To Gain Readership
Newb Attack on Wattpad!
So is Wattpad the place I'm looking for?
Fellow Undiscovered Writers 12
Feeling a bit disappointed..
I'm new! I need advice on how to promote etc
How to get “Noticed”
How to get “Noticed”
Issues on low reads
Wanna talk about each other's stories?
How Do I Get Readers?
Anyone Else have no reads, comments, or votes?
Under 5K Reads Club
The 500 Word Weekend Write-In Discussion Thread
Please delete this thread
Feeling angry and discouraged.
How did you help promote your story?
new on here and would like some friends
I wanna quit lol
Are your reads increasing?
I'm new in this "English world"
LGBT+ Writer's Group!
QUESTIONS I HAVE FOR SUCCESSFUL WRITERS
OldNoob: Beginners questions about reading/writing. Help!
How to get more attention on Wattpad?
Young Adult vs. Teen Fiction?
Fellow Undiscovered Writers 11
How do you get more reads on your book?
Writers Struggle Hangout Three: Rant, Ask, Encourage, Vent etc
How to get readers?
How to get more reads/votes/comments as a new writer
How to self-promote without being a hypocrite?
Diversity in Wattpad Stories
Question For Experienced Writers And Answers For Others! :)
Question For Experienced Writers And Answers For Others! :)
Post the Last Thing You Copied

Eventually when this becomes the main forums, you’ll have to change the links.

Yeah, but that’ll be easy enough on here, thankfully :smile:

EDIT** This has now been resolved - all links are updated.

Scripturite has been away since January. Doubt they’ll return

Hold up… they’ll change THIS to be main? I thought the beta would go, the old forums would go and a completely new forums - sprouting from this code - would replace the old forum’s place

Wow this is really helpful! Thanks a lot!

My gut is telling me this one will just become the main forums instead of wiping it clean and starting fresh again. So everything that’s here now will stay, it’ll just get linked up under the community tab. If they were planning on wiping it and starting over again I don’t know that it would make sense to have people coming over here still. It would make more sense to just close the betas now and start up the new forum.

oh… hm… hadn’t even thought about this possibility, and was already wondering why people were making new threads. This messes with my plans ;-;

Yeah, but I’ll leave the door open for them, just in case.

If you feel more comfortable holding off until the transition is complete then go for it. Theres nothing wrong with playing it safe! I could be very wrong, but it just seems illogical to ask people to start setting up camp over here if they intend on wiping it again.

This is going to difficult to get used to

Can anyone list some really popular and ongoing awards (ones that have been around for a while) ?

The Chaos Award is big and has been around for a while - but I think it just finished. It should do another run again though this year, I believe.

Oh, yeah, my shitty book somehow managed to win “honorable mention” in that XD

I can start tagging you in awards I enter if you’d like, what’s your WP user name?

Can you tag me too?

Sure, is youe WP username the same as this one?

Oh, waut, it says on everyones’ profines XD

There’s a lot of spelling mistakes in that, but I’m too lazy to fix it

My wattpad username is the same as the one here. Thanks a lot though !

No problem! Imma follow you though so I don’t have to type the entire thing out XD