The Chuck Taylors (A Writer Networking Space)

:joy:

That was my feeling. They’re literally everywhere; just plug SOOP into the search function on Wattpad and it spits you back a dozen. The profiles are all inconsistent with one another, with varying degrees of professionality and little other engagement.

Been noping hard out of this one. Plan to continue that course of action.

3 Likes

Between them and other publishing companies that are often caught around here, they enjoy poaching people in Wattpad’s community. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I love this so much! I bookmarked this for reference. I like the idea of build up over time and the idea of decay.

3 Likes

What kind of blurb does the thread cover? A traditional one, or a Wattpad one?

1 Like

Sorry, for the late reply!

Oh, thank you! I’m so glad you’ve heard good things @floranocturna! I really, really want to, but I’m a slow writer who’s working on a very big story right now, and it takes time away from that.

Plus, I’m actually getting paid to do work like this now, so that has to take precedence. But, if I can find time in my schedule, and I can find a way to scale the contest down, I will. I may cap it and then just do the pitch review part and offer the deeper dive to only the winner or the Top Five. I want to be more inclusive, but it’s overwhelming. I’ll definitely try and find a way to do it, though–if I can–because I know feedback can be hard to come by.

Yes @thatCalamity! This can be so difficult. It makes writing an antihero or a good redemption arc so challenging when you’re getting feedback in real-time.

Not entirely, @SmokeAndOranges. You can either brand yourself as a blunt, truth-teller (some folks brand themselves as brutal reviewers, but I don’t support that approach) and have folks come to you. Or, you just have to litmus test it.

With the “have them come to you” method, that’s why I plastered ALL OVER my contest book: don’t enter if you’re this kind of writer, or if you can’t handle this kind of feedback, and don’t you dare get pissy with me because, you know, life’s too short for me to deal with your temper tantrums, etc., etc. And honestly, I think it worked, because this year’s entrants were so much more pleasurable to work with, as a whole.

And on the litmus test thing, it’s just about giving feedback on a chapter or two, or on a particular issue, or on a short story when asked and then going from there. I’ve given critiques to only five of my peers on the site. And only two of them do I feel I could be totally, totally, totally blunt with and they’re open to hearing a different perspective and can comfortably choose what to do with that info. (@authorhlumelo being one of them.) The other three spent most of their response defending their choices, not in an angry way, but in a way that told me that they just weren’t ready to hear anything that drastically contradicted with their own beliefs about their story. At that point, I knew it wasn’t a good match for either party and just didn’t ever offer again or politely declined when asked.

8 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, @LailaLiliana, what more specific feedback are you getting?

No worries, I know we all have busy lives outside Wattpad. :smiley: But thanks for getting back to me anyway. I understand that offering critiques is something that takes time, which you are stealing away from your own projects. And if people don’t appreciate what you’re offering them and just get defensive, well, then they shouldn’t have asked for a critique in the first place. My story is still growing, so I’m not in a hurry, and I’ve probably rewritten the first three chapters like five times already, but I know that there’s more that needs fixing (pacing, tightening everything up, and I need to work on the deep pov).

I’ll just keep an eye on your profile, so I don’t miss my chance in case there are only a few spots open. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Hi everyone <3

2 Likes

Hi! :smiley:
offers :coffee: and :cookie:

It’s very chilly, so I hope the cookies are warm!

1 Like

What’s everyone working on today, other than trying to ignore the temptation to get up from the writing desk to find some warm cookies?

I’m trying to catch up on some writing! I need to get some editing done and continue working on a draft. What about you?

1 Like

I’m working on rewrites and revisions for the last 40k or so of a novel. I’ve got a really messy scene that I need to cut down by about 50% open in front of me, so I’m running through it with the literary equivalent of a torch and a machete right now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Woo!! I have a love hate for revisions. Hate going through them, but I love the end result. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, they’re tough this time around. Most of the scenes are full rewrites, which I find much harder than drafting from scratch. But like you said, I’m hoping it’ll pay off. I definitely couldn’t leave it the way it was!

Hey! :blush: So it wasn’t too, too specific because it was feedback from a few people just about the summary of a story. I’ll PM you so it doesn’t get lost in here!

1 Like

Working on that sequel for Spirits and Crowns. Or I will be. I kind of slept half the day away :joy:

2 Likes

(Fluffs up feathers, starts strutting) You hear that, folks? Paula says I’m a pleasure to work with! :sunglasses:

I say jump on it if she does! I got incredible feedback that I’ve been applying (hopefully successfully :thinking:) to my new works and with editing old ones.

3 Likes

Which is exactly what my books is, lol.

Totally agree here. It’s hard sometimes when you hear something you thought was working, isnt, but usually stepping back and looking at it again can help.

Sometimes I find the crit doesnt quite nail the actual problem, but flags the unintended result of of the actual issue, which is further back in the story. For me this usually happens with a lack of foreshadowing or not clearly establishing characters early enough. But it’s not helpful to explain it to the critiquer when I should be explaining it in the book.

8 Likes

I’m editing a project that I’m planning to put on Wattpad at some point in the new year. It’s the first book in a trilogy and also the first new book I’ll be posting here since I joined a few months ago and posted already-completed stories, so I’m excited!