Title: The Curves You Own
Target Audience: 18+
Genre: Romance, Drama, maybe Chicklit
Intended length: ~85k-100k
Growing up was never easy for Adina “Fatty Addy” Braveheart. Her body image struggles drove her into an on-and-off toxic relationship with an older man at just seventeen. Cade Van Der Waal is the mayor’s son and town’s golden boy forced to be with the popular girlfriend, Sophia, for political purposes. Hiding from Sophia, he spent his summer at the local arcade where he interacts with Adina for the first time. The two butt-heads, but eventually form a genuine friendship.
Adina and Cade test the boundaries of their friendship, resulting in Cade experiencing sexual and emotional attraction for the first time. He realizes he’s demisexual. However, Cade continues to be with Sophia to help his father politically. Adina, feeling rejected, goes back to her toxic relationship. When Adina shows up to school with a busted lip, Cade confronts her, begging her to stop seeing this man. Adina eventually agrees.
Unable to resist each other, they have a secret relationship, but when a misleading video of Adina being kissed by her abuser makes its way to Cade, in a drunken, jealous haze, Cade loses his virginity to Sophia. Sophia releases photos of Cade sleeping next to her to Adina, forcing Adina to confront Cade about what happened. Cade admits to sleeping with Sophia and Adina decides to sever their relationship.
Prom arrives and Cade and Adina have trouble keeping away from each other. They end up revealing their true feelings to each other and have sex. Cade promises to break things with Sophia and move to California with Adina. However, Sophia tells Cade that she is pregnant before Cade ends things between them. His family guilts him into “doing the right thing” and marrying Sophia. Alone and brokenhearted, Adina leaves Southport, determined to never look back.
Two months into college, Adina realizes she hasn’t had a period since the last time she slept with Cade and visits the gynecologist where she’s diagnosed with PCOS. She learns that the possibility of bearing children in the future is slim. Her pain becomes her driver to overcome her past and do something of herself. With time, Adina becomes a successful fashion designer, plus-size model, icon and advocate for positive body image.
Thirteen years later, Adina makes her way back to Southport to care for her sick Aunt. While there, she runs into Cade-a recently divorced single father- and the two give in to their long-repressed affections for each other and sleep together, eventually falling back in love. But once again Sophia forces her way back into Cade’s life through Lizzy-their daughter. Adina steps back as Lizzy desperately wants her family back together.
For six months, Cade and Adina keep a long-distance friendship and when things with Sophia don’t work out, Cade leaves Sophia for good and moves with Lizzy to California to be with Adina. He asks for her hand in marriage, and she says yes, finally finding some semblance of a happily ever after.
- Cade realizing he has a sexual and emotional attraction for Adina but continues pretending to be in a relationship with Sophia to help his family politically.
- Cade deciding to break up with Sophia to be with Adina but is not able to since Sophia is pregnant with his baby.
- Adina and Cade falling back in love after thirteen years of living their lives separately.
- Cade finally leaving Sophia for good and moving to California with his daughter to be with Adina.
- The story will be told in first person POV in both Cade and Adina’s POVs unless third person POV is better for this kind of story (you tell me).
- The story is character-driven rather than plot-driven so there may be changes to the plot as the story gets written down.
- Cade is a demisexual character which means he needs to create a very deep bond with someone to feel any sexual drive. Usually, an intellectual connection is needed beforehand. I don’t think there are many stories that talk about this type of sexuality, and one of my purposes is to delve into this topic and struggles with Cade.
- Adina is a plus-size character from beginning to end with abandonment and body image issues but a strong and feisty personality making her also a unique character in my opinion and I aim to bring unique struggles plus-size individuals face in society through her development.
- There may or may not be erotic scenes in this book.
- I guess the high drama could be compared with a telenovela/Jane the Virgin kind of drama.
- Book will be divided into parts to make the timeline easier to follow.
I look forward to your feedback.