The Do's and Don'ts for the first chapter

Would you recommend putting the book up on Wattpad as it’s being written to get feedback on grammar errors, awkward sentences, etc? Eventually I plan to self publish this novel up on Amazon and take the book full off of Wattpad whenever I decide to do this.

1 Like

You can. It might be a bit easier on you. :wink:

1 Like

I am not like a professional writer so maybe whatever I say won’t be that helpful, Or you possibly might already know these already, I hope it helps a little at least. :smile:
If you know the ending of the story before you began, you are gonna struggle. Take out a piece of paper and write what each chapter is gonna tell. Just so in the end, something won’t be missing.

Think of writing a good thriller like hosting a great party: You do lots of hard work ahead of time so your guests can relax and enjoy it. Good research not only makes your book more solid but it also often turns up unexpected and very useful tidbits.
- Something on a random website I found.

I am sorry, I am too lazy to write one more word.

:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Honestly there’s a lot of great advice here, but there’s only one rule that you really need to follow.

Have fun.

Just have fun and put your thoughts down in writing. If you’re stressing too much about how you should start your story or what are the right rules then that’s going to get in the way of the story you want to tell and you’re going to find that everythibg you write just isn’t good enough. But guess what, there is no “good enough” if you care about this story enough that you want to share it with people and you want it to be good then it already is good enough. You can worry about how the story is written and watching out for cliches later, after you have a finished first draft in front of you and you know what the story is and where it’s headed. But for right now just have fun.

2 Likes

Unless sentence length chapter titles work for you! That kind of advice is what got us the famous Thnks fr th mmrs–panic at the disco were told to shorten their song titles, and, well, taking out the vowels does make it shorter! But if a pop song can succeed with a sentence long name, chapters can make it as well. :smile:

More generically, don’t dump background info or start with an incomprehensible scene. But really? Just get words on the paper :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Umm wasn’t that fall out boy🙈

1 Like

You’re right! Good call. Sometimes I mix up my punk boy bands :smile:

2 Likes

I mean their rock bands but :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Technically both rock and punk.

Because of their older music, yes Panic ! At The Disco can be classified as pop punk , one may also argue that their newer music is also pop punk , the band is also classified as alternative, rock and though not quite a genre, ‘emo’. … At The Disco is Trip-Hop-Caberet-Dance- Punk

3 Likes

Yah I get that. But I’ve never heard them being called punk boy bands… that just sound like a version of one direction.

1 Like

XD I’ve heard them been called punk more than rock.

1 Like

I’ve only heard them be called rock, alternative and pop so i was like what?! when I saw that comment.

1 Like

k

1 Like

So how’s it going?

1 Like

Alright. I need to edit my first chapter of one of my books so I decided to stalk this thread for advice.

1 Like

XD

1 Like

Very true and an excellent point.

2 Likes

I sometimes edit it twice if not a third read over. I try to generally keep it to two reviews though before posting it. Otherwise I feel like I’m obsessing over nothing.

1 Like

About the same for me. For my WIP, I edit before posting as a draft and read through it again to find anything I missed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.