The Notre Dame is on fire and I feel like crying

I know. Hopefully the priceless artworks and other important items are encased in fire retardant cases or something… Ahhhh… I’m just so shocked!

CBSN on youtube. They have a live stream going.

Me too! I’ve been watching for over an hour and I just can’t stop. It’s so sad!

Yes, we can be happy at least for that. I saw it when I was about five years old, but I don’t remember anything about it. Everything I know is from books or online. But technically I can say I was there. (ノД`)ヽ (ノД`゚)゚。

Aww, that’s too bad! I was 16 and I was so impressed. I didn’t want to leave :frowning_face:

Ahh… I don’t think I can watch… And I was there about 10 years ago :cry:

A spokesperson just stated that the center of the church is gone. Only the clocktowers and the backwall are untouched, but the whole frame is already burning. They’re only trying to salvage artwork now.

I understand! It’s horrible to watch. Every time I see the spiral coming down I just gasp.

No! Now I’m really crying.

Omg, I’m crying

reading the background, it seems it was decaying for some time before this. Hopefully having the wooden parts and roof and stuff destroyed will actually convince the government to give more funding for maintaining the whole building.

Reportedly, renovations were underway and bronze statues, at least, were removed, so they should be fine.

I just saw this on Instagram and i literally teared up. This is devastating. I do hope though that the government uses this as an opportunity to make sure that this historic building is being better taken care of.

It was being taken care of? Idk but I believe it was actually under construction already. It’s always under construction I think.
They actually think construction workers might have caused this.

Also, from Reuters:

The wood and lead spire was built during a restoration in the mid-19th century, according to the cathedral’s website.

So it wasn’t actually from the middle ages. Hopefully they get most of the art out, and then they can build another spire for it.

Notre Dame has been built, rebuilt, and added onto throughout it’s existence. This is just one more part of that history. A devastating and horrible part, but a part nonetheless. Try to think of it as a rebirth of sorts.

I haven’t fully been able to do that, as so much history has been destroyed in the creation of this moment (which is historic in it’s own right). But I’ve seen others trying to find a silver lining and thought I’d give it a try.

Oh. I had heard that it wasnt properly being maintained and thats why they needed the renovations and thats why the fire started. if im wrong i apologize. my mistake.

It’s not just the spire anymore. It’s most of the roof and the wooden framework.

I haven’t heard that but it might be true! I really don’t know.

Yes, it was under construction. A 5 million Euro restauration effort. The police suspects the fire could have started because of that, but it’s only speculations.

I doubt much of that was medieval either. The real test will be if they can keep the actual stone walls from collapsing.