« The Selcouth Information Emporium »

tsie

The storefront is bleak and unimpressive.

Looking into the windows of the Selcouth Information Emporium is the closest one will ever get to looking straight into the void. There is nothing but an endless, undulating black. Twice a day, a single harried figure can be seen scuttling through the locked door. This is the Reporter. She is the eyes and the ears of the Selcouth AI, which produces digital news and sometimes sells a book or two from the dreaded Storage Space.

The news cannot be said to be good or relevant. The headlines are vaguely threatening at best; the AI does not understand connotation. However, it does understand facts. It sees. It listens. It knows. The Reporter knows too, whether she likes it or not.

The Selcouth Information Emporium is unbiased, unrelenting, and unchangable. It has been producing the most accurate news in Neo-Tokyo ever since the Rend, and it will most likely continue churning out one mediocre, generally ignored article a day until the end of time.

14 Likes

JUNE 23RD, 2957 C.E.

One Dead In Turtle Incident

Another corpse has been discovered in the basement of the Tou Greenhouse Complex. A specific species of carnivorous turtle has been implicated in the individual’s death (their identify may not be released to the public at this time on the orders of the Shinsengumi Defense Force). The Tou Reservation Society is currently culling the turtle collection and apologizes to the family of the deceased. They would like to remind readers never to stay in the Tou greenhouses past 21:00 p.m. without proper survival equipment.

Selcouth Information Emporium

11 Likes

Looks fantastic. You’ve been added to the Repository.

3 Likes

As a student, I will make sure to read it everyday :grin: It feels interesting in here.

5 Likes

Also, if anyone knows the actual year… please tell me.

What font is everyone seeing for the official posts? I set it to Geneva but if I switch to a Google computer it shows up as Times New Roman. The HTML (which I learned in just about three hours this afternoon) is making my eyes cross.

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s said… but I’ve mostly skimmed through most suggestions and the history/canon, so I’m not the one to ask at the moment.

And the font looks Geneva to be. (I’m on a laptop, if that matters).

3 Likes

And Google.

2 Likes

Hey @nick, I think I was supposed to tag you sooner than this, but… here we are?

I made this sort of quasi-newspaper mostly to expand on other peoples’ ideas and to flesh them out into things that feel realistic via little stories. And I was thinking, you know, this paper is run by a single emotionless AI and its overworked intern (me) and that AI doesn’t care about profit… so conceivably, as the story ramps up, other news sources would still be publishing “Top 10 HOTTEST vacation destinations” and meanwhile, the Selcouth Information Emporium is posting like, “No One Actually Knows What’s Under This City.” It could tie in the two or three university student payers who read it, and maybe they’re starting to think that there’s something to these apparently unuseful and irrelevant stories.

A thought, I guess?

I just feel like this could be a really good way to connect things together.

6 Likes

I would recommend speaking to @FireAlwaysReturns and @ReyenaScarr if you would like to merge the newspaper into the official source of recaps on the day

6 Likes

Hmm? The historian was called?

4 Likes

@FireAlwaysReturns @ReyenaScarr

Hmm… You know, a newspaper could be a moderately good place to keep recaps. I don’t see this thread getting as much discussion traffic as ECPU.

What do you think? We could include that every so often along with the other random little stories.

4 Likes

I think that’s a great idea! But honesty, Jane’s queen of the recaps, I was just stepping in for a bit. She’s the one to work it out with.

4 Likes

So we keep recaps and occasionally give expanded, more in-lore articles here?

4 Likes

You did a good job. I was too lazy to be the first to start

2 Likes

Aw thank you. But I think I’ll let you handle it from now on. :joy:

1 Like

It’s odd, because there are no real events to recap. It’s mainly players building things

2 Likes

It felt weird. :joy: But I figured we might want to get all that out of the way sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Yeah. We should format them so they can be distinguished from everything else, too.

1 Like

JUNE 24TH, 2957 C.E.

You Must Be A Carrier

In a public statement issued at 3:30 a.m. this morning, the leaders of the Neo-Tokyian security forces have announced that all officers (android or otherwise) will now be equipped with scanning technology that recognizes faces and matches them with Neo-Tokyo Citizen IDs. These IDs, if not already in citizens’ possession, are to be obtained immediately by way of Mimoto Memento ID Shop. Those caught without IDs may be subject to arrest and warrantless search and seizure. There are no warnings. There are no excuses. There is only identification.

11 Likes

JUNE 25TH, 2957 C.E.

Compost

A massive blockage in the Neo-Tokyo Recycling Plant yesterday which caused a small explosion and a fire that reached the roof before being contained has been determined to have been caused by a stray dung bomb that made its way into a compacter. Dung bombs can only be handled by the city’s compost system and NOT by the trash collections or the recycling industry. Paper, glass, and metal should be put in the recycling. All food items, organic items, human tissue, and items marked with the city-approved compost symbol must be composted. There are guides posted across each district to eliminate confusion. Violation of disposal rules may result in a short prison sentence.

The Recycling Plant is operating normally once again and all delays have been dealt with. They thank the citizens of Neo-Tokyo for their patience and urge them to follow disposal codes.

12 Likes