The Uniqueness Of Your Teen Fiction

I’m wondering what direction you took with your character’s or subplots to make your teen fiction stand out and feel truly unique.

It’s so hard writing something that hasn’t already been written but with my new teen fiction story that I posted last week, I’m hoping what makes it a little unique is its possible unpredictability and the fact that none of my characters fit into one label. Because often, on Wattpad, particularly in teen fic books, you get one dimensional characters who all sit in a small, confined box of clichés and whilst I have incorporated a few clichés, I have tried to mix them up and make them less recognisable. All of my characters are diverse and definitely flawed in their own way but I want readers to be able to understand why each other them are the way they are, even if you’re not supposed to like them. There are many layers to them, basically.

My whole story is also supposed to be quite lighthearted and dare I say it, fun (I’ll probably regret that later when people start telling me it isn’t) but I will be discussing more serious topics and challenging specific ideas, some stuff that I have occasionally seen in other books and some stuff that I have yet to come across on Wattpad.

I’m not sure if you can truly classify my story as teen fiction, but I do have two teens as MCs and the way I made mine unique is I kept the relationships between them completely platonic - despite them being male and female…the relationship is totally platonic the entire way through.

Mine would be unique in a few different ways. I write a certain trope, so I really read a lot of them and figured out all the things that were overdone.

Most of the time a teen fiction starts at the beginning of a school year where mine starts a month before the end of her senior year. It’s much more character driven than plot driven, so you get a lot of character depth and some awesome conversations.

I also try to make things as realistic as possible as far as consequences to actions and the destruction that bullying causes.

MC- An old soul. She’s sort of popular by default (her best friend is popular and her friends just sort of put up with her. She keeps excellent grades and has a job to help pay for college (which she doesn’t end up going). She’s incredibly sweet, bold (in an embarrassing sort of way) and quirky.

Love Interest- Very kind hearted and lovable. He always tries to hide his good looks under a hat and glasses and wears clothes a size too large. He really doesn’t want to be seen as good looking, but wants to blend in with the crowd.

What makes their relationship different is that it starts with a strong friendship and helping each other through tough times. There’s also quite a bit of an age difference between the two.

Best Friend- Their friendship really isn’t as strong as it was when they were children, but when the MC starts to go through difficult times, she really steps up to be there for her and protect her. She completely destroys her own reputation as the queen bee of the school to stand by the MC.

Parents- I think the parents are what really makes this story stand out from a lot of teen fiction. Both are very much part of the MC’s life. Stoner, fun loving hippies, they are kind of the opposite of the MC but in the best possible way.

Her mother has no shame and constantly embarrasses the MC. She’s beautiful and at least tipsy half the time. Dealing with a disease (which she may have passed down to the MC), she also has some incredible moments full of wisdom and heart.

The father is the fan favorite. He’s tough and completely hysterical. Any chapter he’s in he completely steals the spotlight. He is probably my favorite side character I’ve ever written. He has so many sweet moments, and badass dad moments.

your story sounds so fun, i’d love to check it out!

My book is technically classified as paranormal, but the characters are teenage witches.

One of my fave more unique things to do is dual POV protagonists who are not love interests to each other. In Cursed Gardens, the dual POV switches between twin witches. I’ve done it before as well with two characters who were best friends. It’s awesome. I love exploring relationships that aren’t just romance, but also, two romance love interests! And the fact that each POV character has their own romantic relationship to pursue is super fun because then you can compare those relationships and see how the contrast, if one is healthy and one isn’t, et cetera.

Anyway, dual protagonists who aren’t romantic to each other are my jam.

The smartass answer is that I wrote it, so therefore it’s totally unique. As far as the real answer goes, I think it’s because of the plot and the protagonist. The plot revolves around Nikki’s struggle to recover from sexual abuse/exploitation in a realistic way. I talked to survivors, social workers, a therapist etc., to make sure it was accurate. Nikki has a cynical personality with a quirky sense of humor.

Interesting? I guess that my teen fiction is unique in the fact that it brings up a society goes from good to collapsing. I also don’t focus on romance - I like my characters to develop naturally from interactions with each other instead of other books where character A falls for character B and suddenly the have entirely different personalities and that takes center stage. There’s a central plot bigger than just two people and they don’t “lose themselves” in the relationship. I like to make my characters stand up on their own instead of being flat. I’m sorry, I’m not saying it’s every book I just see that a lot in teen fiction. It’s not completely unique but more realistic than a majority of young adult books.

Mine is an urban fiction meets fantasy, but its uniqueness falls under many of the characters including the main character to be considered minorities in america. It’s about a Latino family struggling through discrimination and loss of culture get thrown into a fantasy alternate world where they must rediscover themselves and the culture they have lost.

Well, Im about to publish a book soon. And whatever has been written in it, has actually happened to me and the kids in my school. Of course, the names are different, the school is different, the city is different. But what I can say is that this book is the mirror image of some peoples lives. It isn’t just words on a screen, its a real experience.
And since this is based on real incidents, there isn’t really a villain to fight, or a reason for my protagonist to stand out. There are no mean queen bees and no late night parties with drugs and whatever. Its a simple book, but also very tragic. Its about suicide, after all. And about some of the most unforgettable experiences that I have ever had, the lonely thoughts that I have thought in my wake, the closest friends that I have made. Its all real. Every word. Even the almost killed myself part.
I guess thats what makes my book different from all of the others. My book will never have an ending like all the other teen fiction books out there. There will always be problems that I would have to face. There will always be people I will have to compete with. My book will be endless…
Or so I would like to think :sweat_smile::blush:

Thanks! I saw you found my book so hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

I’d say my book is unique because it takes the queen B of the school and changes it into something different. My story revolves around Lyra Monetii, a 18 year old girl whose life isn’t as perfect as it seems.

I also have another book called Suicide Bridge. People who have read this book say that it’s something they’ve never read before and that it’s unique. So…I guess this one is unique.

This is a great question. I’m a very new member of the Wattpad community, and very early in my first Wattpad story, so this perspective isn’t necessarily coming from years of personal success or experience. But hey, writers are most often obsessive readers too, so I know what I’ve read and what I will want to try in the future to make teen fiction stand out.

One of the key things that often grabs me is attention to the fact that teens are rapidly developing, almost barreling their way towards adulthood and trying on several hats and identities on the way there. So, a static teen character with zero interests/passions, or with interests/passions that don’t change or develop, just doesn’t seem right. Truly standout teen fiction for me is the fiction that explores who a character is through their interests (aside from love interests and friendships), and that makes those interests dynamic and say something unique about the character that has them. You end up with a multi-faceted character like no one else, especially when combined with personality traits like a sharp wit or deep kindness, etc.

I feel what makes my upcoming story ‘The Element of Life’ unique is that it’s more of a post relationship story. In the 1st couple chapters Jasmine catches her bf Elliot cheating on her and their relationship is basically done. Elliot goes out of his way to make life miserable for Jasmine. And Elliot of course is a bad boy.

The only time you see a a romance between them potentially happening is the prologue. And that’s all that’s up right now.

That sounds like a very interesting premise.

Hi guys! So I’m kinda late in this thread but I just want to randomly say that I think everyone has a great potential for creativity, and I know it can be really hard to actually make something unique and original but just put some of yourself in every of your stories. I’m a new writer here and I try to write about common genres but still putting a little of myself in it, things that have happened to me and also I touch topics that are not always there.

Keep the hopes up, everyone has potential <3

I took my plot to social concerns. May as well, since one of my protagonists has autism like me. :blush: Pretty tricky to do it in a way that the issues highlighted feel relevant to the readers. I can only hope I actually succeeded.

Blurb:
Xue Ge, delinquent transfer student, just wanted to score the most beautiful girl in class. Because, well, he’s 16.

Jennifer, said beauty, wanted to hurl Xue Ge into outer space. She had eyes for someone else.

Matthias, said someone else, has autism. We’re not sure what he was thinking. Sorry, Matt.

The three friends are caught in a spinning love triangle, and it threatens to tear them apart.

So Xue Ge’s changed his mind. Forget romance, now all he wanted was to keep his two best friends. But a green van rolling into school threatens to take even that away.

This is a slightly different Malaysian love story. Being different in a land that demands conformity can be tough, but these three young lives are willing to give their all to stay together.

Sounds like an interesting story. I’m guessing they are pretty high on the spectrum? I have several students who are on the spectrum both in my classes and my clubs.

You mean high functioning, or low support needs, aka Asperger’s syndrome, right? If so, yes.

So you’re a teacher? That’s nice to know! How do you find your students? Back when I was a student i was un-diagnosed. Must have made an impression because the teachers remember me very well, even those who didn’t teach me for very long haha.

The science is better at diagnosing it earlier. I can usually tell by how they behave and interact with other students. If I need to be sure I’ll see if they have an IEP. Sometimes the families don’t find out until high school. That happened about 4 years ago.