The Uniqueness Of Your Teen Fiction

My book takes the cliche new kid player/bad boy next door trope and flips it on its head. My MC is well aware of cliches and tries her best to avoid them throughout the book, hence the title of my book being Avoiding Cliches. I also made sure to include diversity in the story with friend groups and relationships. I mostly wrote it because I was tired of reading the same cliche books lol.

Most teen fiction I’ve read that deals with abusive families has an abusive father, and if a character has been sexually abused, it is usually a female abused by a male. I wanted to explore some other realities of abuse. So, what’s different about my teen fiction is I have a male main character who has been abused by his mother.

1 Like

That does sound interesting!

1 Like

Thanks. That’s encouraging to know!

I’m not putting in love triangles. I like to see relationships grow between characters, with no complexity or competitiveness. Also, the guy isn’t controlling or angry about everything, but like a normal person, he isn’t perfect. No one wants to read about perfect characters.

1 Like

I’ve been told I have really realistic character voices. I want to portray characters who feel real things in intense situations, if not for the pleasure of making them more relatable. Honestly, though, doing my best to not just create original stories, but to also warp what’s out there, is one of the best things I could possibly do, I think. :slight_smile:

I have diversity characters from different background and personalities including one of the characters who’s an autistic boy with superhuman abilities and no memories. It also deals with human evolution.

1 Like

Sounds interesting! I just started writing a super fic, too!

1 Like

to answer @oliviarose85’s question: i guess most of the uniqueness, or the attempt of trying to make my teen fiction unique is through subverting cliches? if subverting is the right word for it. it takes the format of the very cliche ‘bad boy, good girl’ story except the bad boy isn’t popular, he is deeply troubled and is treated like a nuisance by most of his peers because the school is set as this competitive academia and his presence is already damaging the school’s reputation. he’s a very vulnerable and lonely person and the supposed ‘good’ girl takes advantage of that aspect and uses him for her own benefits, whether she is aware of it or not. it’s a destructive romance that will hopefully highlight the emotional abuse that seems to be commonly romanticized in the bad boy sub-genre. except, you know, it’s, uh, a reversal of roles since it’s usually the bad boy who takes on the role of the manipulator. aaaaa, i’m trying to be careful with that since it’s a touchy topic.

on the other hand, it also acts as coming-of-age for the ‘good’ girl who needs to learn how to become a good person (because she’s really not) before she loses the things she holds dear to her. but it’ll probably turn itself into a cautionary tale where i psych her out of being a dynamic character because i genuinely can’t see her change from being the way she is, especially since she’s been wired and nurtured to be callous since birth.

it should also be noted that while the bad boy is the deuteragonist, he isn’t part of the main pair- especially since the ‘good’ girl doesn’t hold any feelings for him, much less see him as his own person. she sees him as a replacement for another character whom she has an unhealthy attachment for.

but predominantly, the teen fiction i’m writing disguises itself as cutesy cliche but explores toxic relationships and its consequences as well as effects on the people surrounding the two protagonists, hopefully, without it being romanticised.

2 Likes

My (to-be-published) story tries to give a realistic portrayal of life at an elite private school. There’s also quite a bit exploration of public transit enthusiasm, which seems to be somewhat non-existent here.

1 Like

Congrats on publishing! Are you taking the traditionally published route or the self-published route?

1 Like

I’m doing a story who’s prologue is at present time and then the other chapters are what happened in the past so that i can take full advantage of my character’s thoughts in the past and now when she’s writing the story. I’ve also made my story be one that shows how a mean girl became a mean girl

1 Like

I didn’t mean that type of published…

That’s really interesting!

What way would you be looking to go, though? Self publishing? Indie? Traditional? Or have you not decided yet? (I know I sure haven’t, lol.)

I think they meant ‘soon to publish’ on here.

Ah - I was thinking of a different post. This is me being tired, lol. Sorry!

That sounds interesting. Do you have it posted here on Wattpad?

1 Like

I definitely try to find a unique premise to build up around. The plot can be a bit more cliche but still interesting so long as your circumstances around it are unique.

My last book was centered around a high school that hosts their own unofficial reality game show throughout the school year for the most popular seniors to compete for Prom King and Queen. The one I’m working on now grew from a girl who sells weed through the hole in her school’s bathroom wall (inspired by that ridiculous Danny DeVito shrine meme)

1 Like

I love both of these ideas.

Someone: Danny DeVito–
Me: I LOVE YOUR WORK.

1 Like