The Wattpad community page needs to be made more accessible on the app

I noticed a lot of people don’t know the existence of the wattpad community page as it used to only be accessible through the Web page and a lot of users who use the app are unaware of its existence. Unless you were going through Wattpad help guides or are active on the website (which are mostly used by wattpad writers), you wouldn’t really know it exists. I’ve come across a lot of people who’ve been on the site for a while who wanted a place to chat to more writers and wattpad users and were shocked when I told them about the community page as they’ve never heard of it before. Not only would having access through the app bring in more writers but readers too considering they only tend to use the app and wouldn’t be reading help guides to search for ways to promote their books. This would also make the share your story threads more effective as it’s mostly writers here rather than readers as well as bringing more people together for meaningful discussions. That’s why I think it would be a good idea to have a way to get to the community site through the app.

I totally agree, I’ve been on wattpad since 2016 and I only found the forums recently lol!!
I’m so glad I did, but the community would be even better if there was better access!!

6 Likes

Yeah same, I had an old account before but in combination with my current one I’ve been on wattpad since 2015 and only found the forums last year.

2 Likes

yes yes! The only way I found out how to access it on my phone was copying the link on my computer and sending it to safari on my phone

1 Like

I only happened to learn of it’s existence through a Writing guide, and was still a little confused on how to get onto it when going to the website. It definitely needs to be made more easier to find and know about.

2 Likes

I think it might be deliberate, because that the forum is for writers. Generally speaking, the app is used for reading and the website is used for writing. (I know that’s a big generalization and there are exceptions!)

3 Likes

Very true, I didn’t think about this! But as a writer, I found it very hard to find haha.

3 Likes

That’s true and it makes a lot of sense but I do still think there should be an easier way of finding it because as a writer I was clueless to it up until recently.

1 Like

Finding the forum is definitely an issue. I’ve heard other writers say the same thing.

There’s another issue with linking to the writers forum from the app in that it would take the user out of the app, which is not a great experience and could be confusing.

3 Likes

I only found out about it this morning because it was introduced to me and I have been using Wattpad since 2017 ( roughly ). It is a great place for new members, so it should definitely be more known and easily accessible.

1 Like

I didn’t think about that, it certainly would feel confusing, maybe there could be something where you edit and write your stories that suggests the forums and tells you how to get there but doesn’t necessarily link you to it :thinking:

1 Like

This is something that has been mentioned before, but is a little difficult to implement. The forums are hosted on Discourse, so they’re not connected the main site via any form of coding. There were risks of potentially security breaches because it was hosted on a different site and because of an element of code that used to be allowed here. That code has since been blocked for use on Discourse. My understanding is that they’re trying to find a way to make the forums more accessible via the main site.

Something we’re currently doing is the ‘Profile Liaison’ role where us mods share links to ongoing contests on the Genre Profiles and in turn, they have the link to the forums somewhere on the profile for more people to find.

It’s definitely something that they’re looking into, but as it stands, there aren’t enough mods to deal with a large influx of new users that quickly

4 Likes

I agree. There should be a way to come to the wattpad community through the wattpad app. There are many many wattpaders who don’t even know that a thing called wattpad community exists.

1 Like

Ahh that makes a lot of sense, thank for informing me. I hope that one day they find something that works. Here’s a thought though, how about when users first join perhaps or in the place where you create and wrote your stories, there could be something talking about the forums and tells you how to get there without necessarily connecting it to the app? :thinking:

2 Likes

Potentially. I know you can find the forums on the webpage under the ‘Community’ tab. The app is a little trickier though, I think. The old Clubs didn’t work on mobile at all so there was no need to offer that sort of suggestion. For the new clubs, you can either use a web browser or download the ‘Discourse’ app to find the forums. I think it’s something they’re considering, but there is a lot going on on the Wattpad end of things and I expect this is quite far down the list.

2 Likes

Same here. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Same.
All the positive energy should be easily accessible, especially for those who are very new to Wattpad.

2 Likes

Maybe there should be some sort of banner where users could find out about Wattpad Community and show them where/ how they can access it.

1 Like

Mind, you can’t see the Community drop down menu if your window size is too small, so it’s invisible on the mobile webpage and on certain tablets too.

1 Like

You could access them if you had a direct link, but there was no mobile layout so a lot of zooming in and out was involved when navigating lol.

1 Like