The Wattpad Misfit Writer's Workshop

Hello, and welcome to the Wattpad Misfits Writer’s Workshop. I’m Valerie (@ModernWaterRider), and with me, as the other founder of the thread is Mathias (@MathiasCavanaugh). We created this this thread because we noticed that sometimes, as writers, we just need to connect with other writers who are serious about improving our own writing. Sometimes we can see these things ourselves, but other times we need help to identify what issues we need to fix. We are too close to our stories that we can overlook things that are really important, especially if we want to publish our work someday. The purpose of this thread is to help each other realize these things, self-identify our own shortcomings with writing, discuss and improve them. We all have different strengths, and I believe that we can help each other out, doing what each of us is best at. We are interested in assisting all of our fellow authors that want to be a part of this group in the way they personally want helped. Some authors are willing to accept critiques, while others are not to a point of wanting to hear from other about their stories. Other authors may just want to have a free flow of ideas regarding certain topics that pertain to the art of writing. Still others may desire focused discussions about specific things they are writing (such as how to fix awkward sentences, finding better ways to say things within their narrative, etc.). It is important to remind everyone that you will ONLY get out of this group what you put in to it. We have two classifications here: Members and Guests. It does NOT matter if you are a member or a guest, you will be treated the same. Members have simply committed to regularly checking in to this thread and participating, while guests are infrequent or one time visitors.

Also, please note that we are not here to get side tracked. This is NOT a social group where we will discuss anything and everything. This thread is specific to helping writers improve their writing. If you are also interested in casual discussions, please look up and join in with the Any writers who feel like you don't know where to fit in? (Everyone is welcome) thread in the Café run by @FantasybkLover. The first rule of the Wattpad Misfits Writer’s Group is simple, “Be polite and courteous. Treat others as you would like to be treated.” The second rule of the Wattpad Misfits Writer’s Group is also simple, “See rule number one.”
Tags: @rakdosleader @MathiasCavanaugh @ModernWaterRider @kcgalloway @FantasybkLover @Marvel_fancomics @Amethyst_Rain

Members
Username, main genre, years writing.
@MathiasCavanaugh/Fantasy/31
@ModernWaterRider/Fantasy/2
@FantasybkLover/Fantasy/1
@rakdosleader/Fantasy/4
@General-Riolu/Fantasy/1
@Marvel_fancomics/Fantasy/2
@kcgalloway/Fantasy/9

Guests
@DomiSotto/Romance/20
@narushinjo/Fantasy/20
@imtotallynotokay/Romance/5
@Poundcake93/sci-fi/1
@MMicheleWilly/Fantasy/1
@yvesdot/Speculative fiction/
@JohnnyTuturro

Please provide the info above if you are a member or a guest. And tag @ModernWaterRider with the information.

Got the tag.

1 Like

Let me add the link to the other thread instead of having it in bold.

2 Likes

Hot damn, it’s good to be here.

2 Likes

I agree.

Why hello there

1 Like

Hello, Welcome!

Happy birthday! :smiley:
And also, hello!

1 Like

Thank you, and hello to you as well. :smiley:

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

So the idea here, as the opening post said, is to self-identify our own areas to improve in writing. I’ll start.
I think that character voice is one of the areas I have to improve in the most, because it is very hard for me to convey their voices uniquely. They almost all speak like I do.

3 Likes

For me I think i could improve in showing not telling

2 Likes

That’s a hard one. I forget to have balance sometimes, and I have to remind myself. It isn’t very easy to do either.

1 Like

Dialogue has always been a tricky point for me. I feel that either I don’t have enough to make it sound natural, or the dialogue doesn’t hone in on what subtext is needing to be conveyed. I’m hoping to hear some advice from everyone.

Also, I worry that I don’t provide enough oomph when it comes to plot twists or the introduction of sudden information. Like, that there is a lack of emotion present in the narrative.

3 Likes

I’ve always found that if you are writing more exposition than character scenes then that can be a sign of telling more than showing.

1 Like

Inflections and verbiage are two qualities that can help you with that. A character has a drawl, or their tone is set a certain way.

For example, For Culter, a character in my story, his shtick is that he speaks minimally, keeping sentences short and too the point.

2 Likes

Dialogue is hard for me too, but maybe someone else can offer advice. What I can say is to think about the purpose of the dialogue to determine if it should be there or not, as well as if the wording works.

I have recently started posting a new story. The first chapter has some feedback. There is two point that people consistently bring up 1 the formatting and breaking up paragraphs.
And 2 that perhaps i could work on introducing new characters without giving a full description of them

1 Like

Thank you. If characters have a similar background (They are both royals) are there any ways to make it different?

Formatting is easy enough to fix, because other than the paragraphs, it isn’t too much about the content. With the paragraphs, are they too short to too long?