There's Me And Then There's...Everyone Else?

writing
discussion

When I price my books in non-U.S. markets, I use Amazon to convert it to the local currency. Then if it’s a VAT country, I add the VAT to the list price (if not, I just use the converted price). Then I round up or down (usually down) to make it look good (like ending with a 9).

So the price should be about the same in Canada as it is in the U.S. One is in Canadian dollars and the other in U.S. dollars, but they should be equivalent.

Now if someone in Canada buys it from the U.S. site (amazon.com rather than CA), I don’t know what happens.

Also, as the dollar gets stronger or weaker, I don’t adjust the non-U.S. prices.

I’m sorry your book didn’t do as well as you hoped. Maybe better luck next time?

I don’t avoid or purposefully look to see if a book is self published when I’m looking to buy, but I can usually tell from the get-go (except, ironically, for most of you self published authors represented here on Wattpad like @AlecHutson. That’s why I regard all of you so highly, I can literally see the evidence of your experience).

Honestly, I have no problem paying upwards of $20 dollars for a book if I really, really like it and I’m interested. I frequently pay $5.99 for books without issue (or rather a bit more with the Canadian dollar, but I get it.) Thing is, the book has to interest me $20 or I won’t though. I just bought the ebook of Brightly Burning by Alexa Donne for just over $17, but I’m interested because I follow her YouTube channel and tracked with all of her editing, etc. I’m interested in reading a book that I know so much about the process behind it from start to finish (plus sci-fi is my favourite genre so there’s genuine interest in the plot).

I’m naturally looking for the best deals still though, thus I prefer ebook because typically they’re cheaper than paperback. It also just naturally happens that I’m more willing to take a “risk” on cheaper books. If I find enough interesting books cheap, it can become “I can get these three books, or this one book.” And that’s just the thing, it has to be worth more in my eyes for me to pay more, but if I want it I’ll save to buy it. Frequently though, if an author has captivated me with a cheaper entry book (say 4.99) I typically end up spending 7.99 to 9.99 on higher priced sequels without balking.

One thing about self published books, is that I can’t get them in the library, so if I want to read I have to pay. The latest Stephen King I can get on the wait list and take out of the library, and if I don’t like it I don’t buy it later. But if a self published book peaks my interest, I’m more inclined to buy it if the price is right.

Is this for publicity? Because there’s plenty of other people having trouble too. Talk to them and relate, don’t come here and bash what could’ve been your future readers.

You upped the price by A LOT so I don’t see how this is relevant since you’re not even listening to anyone…

You say you’re going to leave WP and yet all I see is you coming on here and complaining about your negative reviews or that people aren’t paying or so on and so forth. You got published and that’s great! But negative reviews and people wanting to pay less for a debut author’s ebook are things you’re going to have to learn to deal with! :blush:

No, he just likes to do this type of thing every week or so.

Friend, this is a very long post wherein you repeat yourself…a lot. Cut it down a bit!

Prices can also signal other things about a book. I think $3.99 is now percieved as the “standard” price of a self-published Kindle book. So if a price deviates from that, it’s either:

1. Strategic. For example, the first book of a long-running series goes on sale for 0.99 to entice new readers. Or a book sells for more than $3.99 because of some obvious value added, like an omnibus edition.

2. Accidental. The author is new to KDP and picked a price at random, like $2.50, having no idea that Amazon slashes ebook royalties outside the price range of $2.99 to $9.99 (at least I think that’s the range). Or he uses round numbers, when Amazon convention seems to follow the retail practice of ending prices in “.99.”

When a book’s price falls into the second category, it looks amateur even by self-published standards. Because if an author can’t grasp that convention of KDP, what else is his ebook missing? Clean formatting? Concise writing?

And with so much competition among the books that do fit the streamlined Kindle look, why should I should even glance at anything that deviates?

I’m not sure that answers my question. My debut novel is priced at $3.99. I priced it at that because it was my debut novel (my followers knew me as a short story writer). But I priced my second novel at $4.99. You’re saying anything over $3.99 is overpriced unless it has some value added.

My question was that if someone is willing to pay $3.99 (rather than say free or $0.99), would that extra dollar ($4.99 vs $3.99) be a deal-breaker?

As to ending in “.99”, I do that in the U.S. market in dollars. But after the currency conversion for other markets, I adjust the price in the local currency, but it usually doesn’t end in “.99”. You’re saying that’s bad — amateurish.

I suppose a dollar in either direction isn’t so bad, but my point was that a totally random price looks bad from a marketing perspective. I can’t speak to foreign prices.

My novels are $4.99 and they sell. I price shorter works at $3.99. I don’t include any “extras” with my $4.99 novels and I’m not aware of any other author in my sub genre who does. Romance might be different, as I know readers have different expectations.

I admit my experience there was in paranormal romance. I didn’t know it could differ with genre. Today I learned!

It’s not romance. Genre is erotic thriller. Priced at $4.99, it sells, although it’s been out for a long time and the sales have dropped off. When I finish and release the second in the series (series meaning same MC but different stories, like Jack Reacher novels) I will drop the first one to $3.99 and enroll it in KU. But the new one will be $4.99.

Glad to hear I’m not off-base.

Thrillers are different again and you can price higher. I’m seeing many indies pricing at $5.99-7.99 per book.

I wouldn’t find that pricing strategy the least bit off-putting. In fact, I think it is quite a smart way to go. That said, each book has it’s own “sweet spot” and I cannot guarantee what yours will be.