There's no 'Speculative Fiction' genre.

I tend to write near-future work, with a technological, geopolitical, socio-analytical, philosophical spin. Things like the world in 2030-50, with all the the social structures, political structures, conflict, whatever. General fiction though is far too broad a term. What I’m left with is ‘sci-fi’, and that just doesn’t entirely work.

Anyone else in this kind of dilemma? Do you just pick General Fiction and rely on tags?

Since the introduction of the new tags system, it essentially combined the genres and the tags. A story can be tagged with multiple genres and rank in all of them, so you could still put in the “Speculative Fiction” tag. Genres don’t appear on the front of books anymore, either, so reliance on tags is really heavy now.

2 Likes

That sounds like it would still be Science Fiction. Not the “spaceships and aliens” some people think is Science Fiction, but the speculative social changes and implications thereof that is also Science Fiction.

However, @Makaylasophia is correct that for Wattpad purposes it doesn’t especially matter what the genre is or if a work crosses genres, because tags are how readers now discover work.

1 Like

@Makaylasophia - Okay, I’ll do just that I think. Thanks. It just seemed a bit off that ‘Vampires’, and ‘Werewolves’ get their own genres (I mean really? They cant share a genre and define by tag?), yet there’s no ‘political’ or other genres. It’s just ‘general fiction’, which just has everything (including vampires and werewolves), and is likely too broad to the point it risks driving readers off, because how could they find anything? I think tags are definitely it. Thanks again.

@KaranSeraph - Yeah it just… doesn’t… seem… quite… right… and I’m anticipating getting a little reader-flak for mis-defining.

You’re right though, it is sci-fi at the core, and as mentioned, tags are it.

Thanks

I’ve found that there’s also a lack of Literary Fiction, deeply emotional and thought provoking writing, which I tend to actually write a lot of (I didn’t know that till recently) and I think it would be great if both these genres were added.

1 Like

Now that you mention it, that’s a pretty common genre actually. I’m genuinely surprised they don’t have it. It’s more common than Spec-fic

1 Like

At the time of the implementation of the vampire and werewolf genres, I imagine they were added due to demand to diversify the Fantasy genre, since they would have clogged fantasy.

Though, like I said, the new tagging system combines the genres with all of the tags (making the genres basically nonexistent under the new system), so making use of the tagging system would be your best bet.

2 Likes

I can’t say I’ve read a ton, but until I started writing it I didn’t know it was a genre, but still I think Wattpad could use both genres. Even with the new tag system, it would bring more recognition and be easier to categorize both.

1 Like

Those categories were added before I joined, but what you suggested is exactly what I heard from long-time users after I joined. It wasn’t that anyone seriously thought monster type = entire valid genre. It was just there was such a glut of them in Post-Twilight Era that Wattpad needed to make them categories in order clear space for works in older speculative genres to be discoverable.

1 Like

Kida screws over the people who have both vamps and wares in their books though, which I imagine would be a lot. You just cant win I guess… Tags it is.

1 Like